from Burnley and Middlesbrough in the past and was touted with a return

north to Rangers at the start of the summer but Alex Neil publicly made

it clear he views the midfielder as a key part of his plans in the

Championship.

City, however, are prepared to listen to offers for

Sebastien Bassong, Michael Turner, Youssouf Mulumbu, Ricky Van

Wolfswinkel and John Ruddy according to the paper."

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/norwich-

I''m glad we''re looking to keep Dorrans but if it''s true we are prepared to let Ruddy and Bassong go, it suggests there is plenty going on and there will be more players coming in than previously expected.

Norwich have a pretty large squad, and it certainly needs a little trimming here and there.

The only one of the players mentioned I wouldn''t want to lose out of those mentioned is Bassong though. He was one of the best defenders in the league the last time Norwich were in the Championship and I would hate to see him go to a rival (I can''t see a Prem club coming in for him).

Ruddy hasn''t looked the same player who received an England call up and it might be best for both parties if he looks for a new challenge somewhere.

Turner, Ricky and Mulumbu are no brainers - if someone is prepared to give us money for them and take on their wages then Norwich would be foolish to say no.

nothing to see here, its a word-for-word repeat of the content of a Daily Mail article, with no reliable source:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3679234/Borussia-Dortmund-star-Neven-Subotic-leaves-training-camp-Sunderland-Stoke-eye-6-5m-defender.html

i did tell everyone on this message board a week after we went down that we would keep Klose and get rid of bassong

you can not rebuild with players who makes mistakes every game !

Ruddy remains are best goalkeeper. We would need to replace if we let him go.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i did tell everyone on this message board a week after we went down that we would keep Klose and get rid of bassong

you can not rebuild with players who makes mistakes every game ![/quote]This. Six relegations in ten years, frequent errors due to overconfidence and loss of concentration, previous episodes of bad attitude and insubordination… time to move on for the benefit of both parties.

I wouldn''t want to see Bassong at any of Norwich''s rivals though. He showed his quality in the last promotion campaign and is likely to be 3rd choice behind Bennett and Klose. I don''t think there would be another Championship side which such quality at centre back.

If someone wanted to sign him from outside of England that would be great, but the reality is it is most likely to be a Derby/Brighton/Sheff Wed who would look to take him and I''d rather not see him strengthen those teams (like he did Watford).

I agree that should Norwich be promoted then sell him on, but really don''t see the need to this season (unless it is for a very good offer and Norwich can bring in a top quality replacement).

I see what you''re saying Bethnal – he did well in his loan spell at Watford, I admit.  I''d much rather he went abroad (presumably to France) than to a Champ team, but frankly I don''t see him as that much of an upgrade for any of our Championship rivals. If one of them came in offering £2m or more, I''d see that similarly to the Grabban to Bournemouth deal – bite their hand off! Guess we can agree to differ on that, though.

Bethnal ,

last season was the final straw with bassong

as i pointed out he was on the leave list after we went down

i d not rate AN as a manager but he has this right

how can he trust bassong anymore he will throw all the klose good work out the window

I am not having a i told you so moment

but i got so much stick for saying that at the time it is nice to be proved right

If Norwich sell Bassong then he would need to be replaced with a defender of similar ability. This would cost more than the money Norwich would get for selling him.

He''s 3rd choice at the moment, as I said I don''t think (m)any Championship team could boast such a good back up centre back. He is very good at Championship level where his mistakes are capitalised less often than in the Prem.

Ideal world Norwich can move him on this summer and bring in a great replacement, but as there are far more pressing issues in the squad (striker, defensive midfielder), spending money on a 3rd choice centre back would be a waste.

I''d just rather he was in the team than the less able Bennett.

I''m fine with either Bassong or Bennett next to Klose. The problem comes if Klose gets injured and we have to play them next to each other...

After last season how can the word quality be linked with the word Bassong. He was one of the main causes of our relegation .

No one else has caused so many heart palpitations , since the Doc was at his worst.

Sadly his slow brain, and slow feet should find another home, perhaps in the conference!!

You posters who think Bassong is worth keeping should try and get to a game or two ,,,, you would rapidly change your tune .

As for those who think Bassong is better than Bennet ,,, see point one ,,, and stop touching yourself , it will make you go blind !!

No wait...........

Even so and for the good or the bad I cannot understand the mention of both Bassong and Rudy in this context, if accurate.

It goes against the policy which has seen the retention of Whittaker, Dorrans and O''Neill (attempted.)

Ruddy in particular. He might well have deteriorated from the very best we saw of him but his instant impact and presence when he was re-instated last season when Rudd showed signs of weakness demonstrates to me that he could still be a significant force next season and be one of the better''keepers in the league.

Bassong not too sure about and the others make sense.

Surely and again, if accurate, it must only mean that a better No. 1 is lines up and that a significant central defender is also in the pipeline.

Otherwise it makes little sense if we are considering a Championship squad in the true meaning of the word.

As Bethnal has repeatedly inferred, improving the squad is not a realistic objective at this moment in time.

Championship squads simply cannot offer enough money or exposure to attract significant upgrades on the likes of Bassong, Ruddy, Martin, Jerome, Dorrans et al, particularly to come to Norwich and not necessarily be guaranteed a 1st XI start every week.

That we have a squad full of such players is precisely why we can look forward to this Championship with confidence. We have a wide portfolio of players well suited to it and certainly at the top end of it. We will have players outside the 1st XI that would get into most other Championship teams.

Clearly this squad retention policy has a shelf life to it and the investment in promising young players is welcome.

The more aggressive superior players that we all crave - true weapons at Premier Level - must inevitably wait until promotion is assured again. In the meantime, prosaic retention is by far the best, most realistic and - likely only - strategy given the actualite''.

Parma

According to Paddy Davitt at the presser AN has also cleared up the contract situation re Canos:

"AN at Colney reiterating Canos deal. #lfc have first refusal but only if #ncfc want to sell down the line. No set figures."

Bassong is a decent championship player.

The only reason to sell Ruddy would be if we can get some money and feel we can bring in someone about the same level who''d be cheaper (allowing for wages).  Which is quite possible.

It''s Character Forming wrote the following post at 15/07/2016 12:09 PM:

Bassong is a decent championship player.

-------------------------------------------------------

Bassong is a decent player.

Perhaps all of those who feel he makes more mistakes than Bennett should realise one of the reasons is that he is more involved than Bennett, who lets the game drift past him too often.

The reason Klosse and Bennett is considered a better combination has much to do with both Klosse and Bassong preferring the left side of centre.

Martin, on the other hand prefers the right and I will still wager that Klosse, Martin will be the preferred partnership.

When everyone was fit in the Prem, AN went for Klose and Bennett - I reckon that will be the starting partnership (ignoring injuries/transfers). Martin had seemingly slipped to 4 choice.

I doubt Norwich will bring in a centre back unless one leaves though, already overstocked in that department.

I''m afraid you''re probably right there Bethnal but I wish you weren''t. I''d like to see a concerted effort to move on Turner and Bassong with a new, young center back coming in to partner Klose with Bennett as backup.

I think Bennett is one of those who needs to play next a leader- he looked so much more comfortable and in control next to Klose. As soon as Bassong came back in he regressed as he didn''t have that calming influence next to him to keep him focused.

I reckon Norwich would like to sell Bassong. He''s just turned 30, on big wages and isn''t getting any better. Whilst he is still above average in the Championship, the club probably feel they could use the money he is paid better than a 3rd choice centre back.

The issue is, who the hell is going to buy him?

Too expensive for most championship clubs, not good enough for a Prem clubs. I doubt (m)any in France are looking at him, again due to the wages/abilty issue.

I don''t think Norwich are so desperate for him to go (like they were under Adams) that they would loan him to another Championship club (and rival) while almost certainly paying part of his wages.

His contract is up in the summer so I wouldn''t be surprised if it is just run down and player and club part then - or he goes for a really reduced price in Jan.

In so ways I agree about a new centre back, in others I think the 4 (5, including Turner which I don''t) are more than good enough.

While it is being rather presumptive, I''d rather wait and see if Norwich get promoted and then spend a large sum of money on a Klose level centre back, than spend half that on a player who ultimately will need replacing should Norwich get promoted.

I wonder if someone might be happy to take him on loan for the season and take a chunk of the wages off our hands- although ideally it wouldn''t be another Championship team.

I think you''re right- the 4 we have are about good enough at this level. The problem is that Bassong, Martin and to some extent Bennett have proven demonstrably they are NOT good enough for the Premier League. My concern is if we do get promoted we''re suddenly looking at having to replace half the first team in one summer.

[quote user="king canary"]The problem is that Bassong, Martin and to some extent Bennett have proven demonstrably they are NOT good enough for the Premier League. My concern is if we do get promoted we''re suddenly looking at having to replace half the first team in one summer.[/quote]True, but that''s a problem to worry about next year, rather than what we need to focus on now, and I''d agree that Martin et al are good enough for this level, so we need to focus on areas where players aren''t at that point - such as our chronic lack of goalscorers...(even if Jerome was great last time around at this level, the others are ''meh'' to ''who'' levels...)

"Leicester to make renewed bid for Robbie Brady and Michael Keane using N''Golo Kante windfall."

Straight off today''s press (the Mirror actually.)

Makes sense from the Leicester end.

I, personally, and on the slightest of balances, would accept that much vaunted £15m.

Perhaps we might even get that much reported £20m price (tag.)

I would then expect a serious bid for serious striker with the money and feel that the team would be better equipped for the season ahead with such a "swap."

All will be revealed in the coming week I feel.

Brady''s fate and striker news will likely be the hot topics this week, time is flying.