Sign in to follow this  
CanaryfromtheStates

Carlton Morris

I just finished watching some clips of Carlton Morris''s play at Hamilton. I am wondering if he will get any serious game time this season. He is only 20 and seems to have a fair amount of potential. Given that Loza was released, but AN decided to keep Morris, it is clear that he sees something in him. Being a strong, physical striker I think he suits this team and the championship well; I would like to see him as the occasional sub during games when we''re winning this season.

I''m not sure on ths one I agree he''s got potential although he''s not been exactly free scoring last season. I think he may need to move to get the game time for a couple of years and then he might well come back up the divisions, 10 mins here and 15 mins there isn''t going to be enough IMO. Still you never know he could get a chance with us and everything just falls into place, would be great if that did happen.

I think they key difference between Loza and Morris is that the latter could arguably offer more options due to his physical attributes than Loza, who is a poacher in the mould of Gary Hooper. Unless they''re particularly fantastic, I think a lots of teams would rather have a targetman making up the numbers than a poacher these days.

I think it would do him some good to train with some top pros, perhaps he could learn from them and see what it takes to get to the next level. Though i understand playing games is important, I can''t imagine him starting for us any time soon, perhaps a loan until January and hope that he finds some form. Based on evidence of his loan at Hamilton I can''t see him getting into our first team straight away, though I would love him to prove me wrong.

If Norwich went out and signed a 20 year old who had scored 7 goals in 30 odd games in Scotland, just how close to the first team squad would you want him?

Another season on loan for him I feel - this time in League One or higher and see what he can offer.

he can only be a fringe player this season if he stays here, still so much to learn.

a loan in a better quality league is needed - task is to find him a decent league one side.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]If Norwich went out and signed a 20 year old who had scored 7 goals in 30 odd games in Scotland, just how close to the first team squad would you want him?

Another season on loan for him I feel - this time in League One or higher and see what he can offer.[/quote]

Bang on. Also look at the player that was shining hamilton and come to us... albeit a different position but same point. Much lower quality league and still not performing. Unfortunately another youth product that will tumble down the leagues...

I agree he hasn''t pulled up any trees in terms of goals scored but from watching him in the youth cup his game is much more about his strength, hold up play and help the others in the team.

I haven''t watched him since the youth cup though so I don''t know if he''s kicked on more but I think with players like him it is worth looking beyond just the goals scored stat.

The problem for young players who used their strength to dominate in youth games find that they can''t do the same in senior games as the defenders are bigger and stronger than them.

This is why, with some obvious exceptions, the big, strong striker usually hits their peak late 20s.

Morris might go on to be a great striker, or he might not, but he needs games and he won''t get those at Norwich. With the concept of ''emergency loans'' being scrapped in the Football League he''ll need to convince someone he is good enough to have for half the season - a tougher ask than going somewhere for a month initially.

Yes fair enough. However if (god forbid) we''re in the position in August 31st where we''ve only signed one striker and our options for 3rd choice are Lafferty, RVW and Morris I''d much rather we gave Morris that chance.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The problem for young players who used their strength to dominate in youth games find that they can''t do the same in senior games as the defenders are bigger and stronger than them.[/quote]Spot on, you only need to look at Cherno Samba for arguably the best ever example of this!

All true I suppose, but he''s twenty one now and the general opinion is that he doesn''t even seem ready enough to be the back up of a back up in our squad for next season.

Are we to assume then that he is yet another promising, highly regarded youngster who is not quite going to make it at Carrow Road?

Another Loza then?

Oh well we can get quite a few bob for him from a League 1 or 2 outfit, which can go towards the costs of the Academy I suppose.

Reminds me of Emile Heskey to be honest, hasn''t really been prolific on his travels but is good at the hustle and bustle. Would love to see him come good though as he''s one of ours - full season on loan in say League 1 and we''ll see where he is at the end of the season 👍

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I''m not sure on ths one I agree he''s got potential although he''s not been exactly free scoring last season. I think he may need to move to get the game time for a couple of years and then he might well come back up the divisions, 10 mins here and 15 mins there isn''t going to be enough IMO. Still you never know he could get a chance with us and everything just falls into place, would be great if that did happen.[/quote]

He scored regularly towards the end of his period at Hamilton and dont forget his age!

Our youngster situation both excites and frustrates.

We seem loaded with potential, yet baulk at that potential becoming reality.

This seems to have been the case for a few years now as they fall by the wayside (Loza) yet never threaten the match-day squad.

It might change this season.

Madison - Murphy (Josh) - Toffolo - Murphy - Thompson in that order is my forecast.

Perhaps season on loan for most of the rest.

Morris was not involved on saturday at all if my memory serves me correctly, I think he will be loaned out although he has gone to austria

I know a couple of coaches at Oxford United where he was on loan. They seemed quite excited about him when he first joined, but after a while they said that despite his physique he actually wasn''t that physical. I don''t think he started regularly for them.

I never saw him play at Hamilton, but hopefully he has matured a bit and added a bit of physicality to his game, otherwise he won''t cut it in the champs. Still young though, would love to see him come good for us.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Our youngster situation both excites and frustrates.

We seem loaded with potential, yet baulk at that potential becoming reality....It might change this season.

Maddison - Murphy (Josh) - Toffolo - Murphy(Jacob) - Thompson in that order is my forecast.[/quote]Those 5 players alone would probably be enough (along with a couple of experienced heads) for a team to walk League One and possibly have a damn good crack at the Championship as well, and if all continue to develop as they have (especially Maddison and the Murphy''s) then we''re possibly going to have our strongest set of young players in god knows how long.I''d really like to see more of Maddison in particular, who I think shows all the potential to be a great player for a top 4 side in the prem going forwards.GK: McGovern/RuddRB: Pinto/WhittakerCB: Bennett/Martin, Klose/BassongLB: Toffolo/OlssonCM: Tettey/Thompson, Howson/DorransRW: Jarvis/JO MurphyLW: Olsson/JA MurphyAM: Wes/Maddison/NaismithCF: Jerome/RvW/???Looks more than good enough for the Champs to me!!!

I''ve been encouraged by AN''s comments about all of the young players involved at Posh. It''s still early days for Maddison, but both Murphys seem to have a golden opportunity now. He also praised the partnership between Tettey and Thompson, which did look very good and the latter could take O''Neil''s place in the squad as the 6th CM. Similarly Toffolo seems to have a chance as back-up for Olsson, especially as Whittaker can also cover at LB. Godfrey was more of a surprise for me, but he looked very solid as did Efete. Louis Ramsay and Todd Cantwell were also singled out for praise by AN, but I suspect the latter 4 will go out on loan this year to build up their experience.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]GK: McGovern/RuddRB: Pinto/WhittakerCB: Bennett/Martin, Klose/BassongLB: Toffolo/OlssonCM: Tettey/Thompson, Howson/DorransRW: Jarvis/JO Murphy/CanosLW: Olsson/JA MurphyAM: Wes/Maddison/Naismith/CanosCF: Jerome/RvW/???Looks more than good enough for the Champs to me!!![/quote]Updated due to somehow forgetting Canos (sorry Sergi!) [:D]

I saw some highlights of Hamilton playing when i was in Scotland in February, and you wouldn''t have known that Morris was on the pitch , except that his name came up on the team sheet.

As someone said, maybe he will come good in a few years, when he has learnt the art of bullying defences, like Grant Holt.

Carlton, like many others has fallen foul of being in the middle ground between the U21''s and the first team. A lot to do with the demise of a decent reserve league.

Agree with that Morty, can''t be easy for him going out on short loans trying to fit into a new club and players.

I don''t think he''ll make it with us but hope to be proven wrong.

[quote user="morty"]Carlton, like many others has fallen foul of being in the middle ground between the U21''s and the first team. A lot to do with the demise of a decent reserve league.[/quote]

This.

The improvement that Carlton made during the year at Hamilton was significant.

Was much more involved in the games towards the end of the season and helped keep us up.

Don''t think hes ready for the championship yet. another couple of years probably, with loans to perhaps league 1 sides will bring him onto the next stage.

Rumours that Hamilton want him back, but I don''t think that will help him too much.

[quote user="ACCIES"]The improvement that Carlton made during the year at Hamilton was significant.

Was much more involved in the games towards the end of the season and helped keep us up.

Don''t think hes ready for the championship yet. another couple of years probably, with loans to perhaps league 1 sides will bring him onto the next stage.

Rumours that Hamilton want him back, but I don''t think that will help him too much.[/quote]Would you like Andreu back because he cannot get anywhere near our starting line up in anything other than friendlies ?