Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Sergi Canos - a special player in the making 👍

With all the rumours etc, I like most probably all of you, had a look at one or 2 videos of Sergi posted online, but after the confirmation of his signing yesterday afternoon I couldn''t wait to get home after work last night and watch literally everything I could find on the lad - Barcelona and Liverpool youth plus Brentford. Well over an hour has been spent going through YouTube and it''s very clear we certainly do have ''one for the future'' at Carrow Rd. Sergi just oozes genuine potential. He had a great first season in the Championship with Brentford scoring a variety of goals from predominantly the right wing but what I liked more was discovering what good all round attributes he has. Although it''s clear he''s still finding his feet, and is only a few months into his 19th year, watching the videos gave me that feeling I was watching a very special talent in the making indeed and it''s crystal clear why Liverpool would rather have kept him. He really does have a young Messi vibe about himself, some ridiculously sublime touches with BOTH feet, flicks and tricks, tackles back, is a live wire popping up all over the pitch, and is extremely direct - I genuinely think we''ve got a little magician in the making here 👍. I have no doubt that he''ll have his off days, and obviously not everything he tries will come off, especially as he finds his way in his youthful years at Carrow Rd, but only a few weeks back watching our legend Wes at the Euro''s I found myself wondering how long before we''d see a new exciting prospect in a similar mould appearing in the yellow and green? Well, without jumping the gun or expecting too much too soon (he will need time I''m sure), I have absolutely no doubt we''ve found him in this kid, and am very much looking forward to seeing his undoubted talent mature for us over the next year or two, and hopefully beyond. A young Messi? - a lot to live up to, perhaps too much, but make no mistake, I can guarantee he''s going to get even the N & P on its feet at times this season - personally I''m very very happy with this signing, well done Alex Neil and all at our wonderful football club, you''ve secured us a real gem 👍

I''m hoping the same as you Alex but apart from Wes we seem to be destroying attacking players and goal scorers lately. Let''s hope Canos can put a stop to the trend. He needs to play first but I''m very much looking forward to that.

I''m delighted with this signing but I really hope he doesn''t get built up in the minds of the fans into something that he isn''t (yet). Great potential but he is a vey young lad and is going to have tough times when he will need to be supported.

Nice one lharman 👍

VanWink, couldn''t agree more with everything you say there 👍 - as I said above, it''s all about potential at this stage and nothing more, but there is definite reason to be optimistic that the future is bright for this lad.

Wouldn''t it be great to have a player again that gets people excited a la Huckerby.

Someone that every time he gets the ball, you know something is going to happen.

Yup, building him right up here 😃

"I''m delighted with this signing but I really hope he doesn''t get built up in the minds of the fans into something that he isn''t (yet)."

True, but I personally was more excited about the arrival of Redmond at the time.

Having seen NR play for Brum (tv) a few times itwas clear that he was something special in the making. This boy has come a bit from left field for me and my only real knowledge of him is from this reading forum, and wiki of course.

Seems on the surface to be a bit of a snip, although having seen "bargain price" mooted on here I remain more cautious than some.

For a start we do not know the exact deal and even so a price approaching £3m for such a youngster is quite high even by today''s standards.

One thing, he will need no time to acclimatise to the league having played for Brentford recently but we must nevertheless give the boy some slack if he does not start winning matches on his own from the outset.

[quote user="morty"]Wouldn''t it be great to have a player again that gets people excited a la Huckerby.

Someone that every time he gets the ball, you know something is going to happen.

Yup, building him right up here 😃[/quote]

Exactly mate, we''re due one 👍. Now obviously Hucks was a senior pro when he arrived at Carrow Rd, and Canos is still a nipper learning his trade, but Sergi Canaryos is certainly a player of that ilk. Especially at this stage of his career it''s obvious from watching video after video that he''s a little 50/50 in what comes off and what works out, but when it does he makes things happen and is definitely the kind of player that will get the Carrow blankets on their feet at times 😉.

This podcast is worth listening to re Canos. (Skip to 28:23).

http://statsbomb.com/2016/07/rumour-has-it-statsbomb-transfers-podcast-2/

The American fella talking is the former Head of Analytics at Brentford and the man responsible for identifying and bringing Canos in for them. He is a huge fan of his and has said this is a great deal for Norwich elsewhere.

I don''t know - I''m sure if he has more than one good game in eight, and actually takes the opposition fullbacks on, nobody will have much of a problem with his (lack of) defensive work if that is the case.

For example, I don''t recall many people moaning about Hucks not tracking back...

[quote user="Ian"]I don''t know - I''m sure if he has more than one good game in eight, and actually takes the opposition fullbacks on, nobody will have much of a problem with his (lack of) defensive work if that is the case. For example, I don''t recall many people moaning about Hucks not tracking back...[/quote]

If he performs to Hucks'' standards, then I won''t be moaning about a lack of tracking back !  Matching an all-time City legend is a bit of an ask, though.

But thanks to the OP for checking him out - good to hear it from someone with a reliably sensible view on City matters.

Its been reported that he is hard working which I am is sure part of ANs attraction..

Great post Alex, I hope that with both Canos and Maddison that we have 2 young players that will excite and entertain, being young they will make mistakes so patience required from us fans. Trust in AN, he said he would build a more youthful side and appears to be doing that. Happy days to be a happy clapper.

I love and identify with the enthusiasm of your post Alex. It''s a snapshot of the excitement us happy clappers feel pre-season. It''s great to look forward in this mood rather than fear and trepidation. Bring it on..

Well said Iron Stan (ironic smile) lets see what other reasons we can find to write him off, before he even finishes his first week training at his new club, never mind kicks a ball.

Just going to wait to see what the boy does in a City shirt.

[quote user="iron_stan"]if he was that good liverpool wouldnt have sold him to us, and he would have been in much heavier demand
[/quote]

Five clubs wanted to sign him, how many more would meet your ''demand'' threshold?

So if a club is willing to sell to us the player must be no good otherwise they wouldn''t sell. So then how exactly is any player we buy going to be any good by that logic?
Liverpool clearly wanted to keep the lad and several other clubs wanted to sign him, exactly who should we be signing instead?

Having seen Sergi''s Vine clip yesterday declaring he is ''Happy to be a Canary'' I enjoyed seeing his humour. Add that to Klose who also seems very relaxed & likes to have fun and we may be witnessing a new breed at NCFC: Talented players who can operate ''in the zone'' without fear. Being uptight does not allow peak performance (Villa) - get the balance right (Leicester) and far better things unfold...

[quote user="morty"]Great stuff Stan. Make sure to boo the first pass he misplaces too.[/quote]
And if he misses a sitter, get yourself on the pitch and rip your season ticket up in his face!
On second thoughts, I think they''ve seen you coming. Stupid electronic plastic card season ticket.

Each transfer window in the last year or so many of us (me included) question Citys and Alexs  speed at getting new players in, it continues of course, as our current question mark about the strikeforce shows. But  thinking purely on the new guys  that have arrived since the turn of the year, we now have 2  potentially excellent and exciting young guys in Maddison and Canaryos  (ok yea ive succumbed to calling him that to), 2 very good mid 20s euro players in Klose and Pinto, and a good solid Prem. player in Naismith, who i have total faith in, despite what some fans wrote about him after some performances of his at the end of the last season.No matter how much we whine about the speed of change, or lack of it, Alex is beginning to form a team to call his own, and i am also beginning to get more optimistic than i have for a season or two. Our position in a division at any one time is always open to debate of course, but for me,its how City play, how they excite, or not, that matters more. After last seasons disappointing no shows, as a fan, i just want to see our team make us stand up and yell Yea! again, and im starting to see us having the players to do just that. Just need Alex to do his tell em what to do, and we are good to go.

We have a much stronger side this season compared to the last time we went down. If we can keep the likes of Brady and Klose and add a solid striker such as the rumoured Assombalonga then imo we can definitely challenge Newcastle for first place.

Vanwink - Good question to ask at the fans forum next week lol

Really pleased with this signing, hope he plays as well as he looks lol, will be a favourite with us ladies