Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Russell Martin transfer?

Some chap who''s a brighton was saying on twitter at about 1.30:

Russell Martin not with Norwich squad for the game against Posh, expected to be having a medical at #bhafc 🙌🏻

Well if that''s the case, and I think it''s quite likely, I hope ALL City supporters will show some decency and wish the man well like gentlemen as blunt comments such as ''get rid'' come across as very disrespectful to a man who''s bled yellow and green whatever your views on how you regard him as a player.

I like R.Martin and had we still been in the prem letting him go would have made sense, however he always seems pretty insistent on wanting to be a Centre back and maybe AN has a couple of new centre backs or at very least one imminent. Also would make some sense of giving Whittaker that new contract.

Bit confused as to why we kept Whittaker (less versatile and less good) while getting rid of a long term stalwart and captain but I can see the logic in moving Martin on.

I for one would be very sad to see him leave though I suspect this is just a rumour as it''s been confirmed he has a knock so isnt involved today.

He''s one of the good guys, has been loyal for 7 yrs, is a true professional, loves this club and it''s fans and I''m sure has always done his best. I hope he stays.

Bit sad to read some of the comments and tweets about him, wish people would show him a little more respect

[quote user="king canary"]Bit confused as to why we kept Whittaker (less versatile and less good) while getting rid of a long term stalwart and captain but I can see the logic in moving Martin on.[/quote]

Who knows? but just guessing here, maybe Pinto is first choice, Whittaker is willing to sign a new contract with the knowledge he has to battle it out with Pinto. Martin really really doesn''t want to played at Right back and is determined to be a first choice centre back something he feels AN might not now be willing to make him.

100% agreed Diane. Fair enough when a supporter doesn''t rate a player, and I can see the difference between someone being jokey in their comments and those that aren''t, but I don''t have any time for a**holes who come across as being genuinely disrespectful and rude to an obvious gentleman who has bled the yellow and green - personally, I can''t ask for anymore than that. Still think there''s something in this story, and if so, will be sending him the very best of wishes for the future - top bloke and a true Don in the NCFC family 👍

Yes, agreed. but there''s always one fact in the debate that leaves Martin''s extreme critics floundering.

I repeat:

"Lambert, Hughton, Strachan, Neil, they can''t all be wrong."

Great Skipper, great guy. Really fine ambassador for the club.

For those criticising, I choose to remember him lifting the trophy at Wembley, and scoring at Anfield - in a game he could easily have not bothered with.

He has shown the loyalty we crave from players, and reading some of the disrespectful garbage on here is embarrassing. I hope those slagging him off don''t start moaning if other players jump ship and show no loyalty.

However he is viewed as a player by supporters, he has given so much to our club that he deserves respect, shame that there is a scumbag element to our support.

I have met him a couple of times and he is a great guy and when you listen to how it all came about then you can''t help but take to the guy, however, as I have said before he has been a superb servant for the club and a great ambassador but every player reaches a time in their career when it''s time to move on.

I get all this loyal talk but it''s only loyalty if he stayed when someone else came asking for him, which I don''t believe happened, therefore he has simply been a good player that has done us proud on occasions and for that I will always be a fan.

But time to move on...and good lick to him if he does move to Brighton

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Yes, agreed. but there''s always one fact in the debate that leaves Martin''s extreme critics floundering.

I repeat:

"Lambert, Hughton, Strachan, Neil, they can''t all be wrong."[/quote]Of course they can all be wrong. However it is only possible, at best, for one of them to be right.

he is running soccer schools in Brighton this summer, why he is missing from pre season, http://www.russellmartinacademy.co.uk/

but whether that bodes for him moving back here is anyones guess

From SSN 16.18:MARTIN STAYING PUT

Norwich captain Russell Martin will not be joining

Brighton, Sky Sports News HQ reporter Fraser Robertson understands.

Reports elsewhere claimed the Scottish international was

a target for Chris Hughton who worked with Martin while Norwich manager.

Brighton want to sign a centre half but Sky sources say

they''re not interested in Martin. Both clubs are expected to be among the

promotion challengers this season and will meet on October 29.

Great news. He''s perfect for this level. Gutsy, passionate, intelligent, experienced and ... a regular international defender.

A player we should be proud to see in the yellow and green.

Agree with CC on this one. After his 7 years at the club, the short-sighted views of some supporters just amaze me. It''s funny though that Lambert, Hughton, Adams and Neil have all rated him.

Well I''ve been a season ticket holder far longer than the reign of those mentioned, and personally would say he''s one of the worst centre backs I''ve seen in a canary shirt. Yep, as a full back he was okay, but his okay status was over 3 seasons ago. We should be a club looking to improve, not holding on to the highest earners because they are nice people. It''s all about the welfare of the club, and the club wil be better off without the Martin legacy.

[quote user="firststeps"]Well I''ve been a season ticket holder far longer than the reign of those mentioned, and personally would say he''s one of the worst centre backs I''ve seen in a canary shirt. Yep, as a full back he was okay, but his okay status was over 3 seasons ago. We should be a club looking to improve, not holding on to the highest earners because they are nice people. It''s all about the welfare of the club, and the club wil be better off without the Martin legacy.[/quote]

Do you honestly believe we are keeping hold of a player because he''s nice rather than that he''s an international defender with Premier League experience?

If you love the club support the players who wear the badge with pride, loyalty and passion ... through triumphant times and disappointments.

[quote user="firststeps"]Well I''ve been a season ticket holder far longer than the reign of those mentioned, and personally would say he''s one of the worst centre backs I''ve seen in a canary shirt. Yep, as a full back he was okay, but his okay status was over 3 seasons ago. We should be a club looking to improve, not holding on to the highest earners because they are nice people. It''s all about the welfare of the club, and the club wil be better off without the Martin legacy.[/quote]

firststeps,

I agree wholeheartedly, the club should rid itself of people who do not benefit the welfare of the club, even if they aren''t nice people, no matter how long they have been season tickets holders.

Maybe, just maybe, the club would be better off without the legacy of ''so called fans'' who cannot see what others, including managers, international managers and fans who have at least a basic understanding of the game, can see. Those that can see what happens off the ball tend to see what RM brings to the club (and country) those that are blinkered do not.

He''s a good player to have in the Champs. And he''s a good squad player to have in the Prem.

You just can''t have him as first choice in the Prem - if you want to stay in the league.

And though he''s been a fine servant to the club, that doesn''t mean a change wouldn''t be good for the club and player.

😂

I love it when posters such as Firststeps make out that some supporters think Russ Martin should remain here at City on the basis that he''s a ''nice bloke'' - you''re completely missing the point but never mind, I won''t ruin it for you buddy 👍

Probably be a starter for alot of other championship sides. Don''t think he will start the season in the starting lineup. Think Pinto will be right back and Bennett and Klose start as the centre half pairing. But Martin is good back up and good to have on bench due to him playing in those positions. Don''t see the point in selling him unless we are getting a large fee.

Can see us appointing a new captain, a lot people suggesting Howson but doubt that will happen as Neil was picking Tettey as captain over Howson at stages last season.

Russ, Ryan and Seb are all of a similar standard and all very capable in the champs. It''s only as they step up to the prem that their CB limitations are highlighted(sebs more obavious mistakes, Ryan more worrying inability to concentrate or mark, Russ simply not as good).

We need 4cbs for the season,. We don''t need the 5 we have. At least two have to be moved on this summer, and at least one of the remaining next summer if promoted because seb, ryan and Russ are no more that squad players in the prem.

We have to build around klose. Move turner and another on and buy one that may improve with a step up and get him to build a starting partnership.

Russ is the better squad player given he cover right back and is the better ball player of the three.

Ryan is so strong in the air and could do well this year but is young enough to attract a fee.

However our championship defence last time significantly improved only when bassong came back into the side, showing the limitations of the other two.

There are pros and cons to all three, with for me seb marginally ahead.

Losing Ryan and seb will be good for the club, Russ with his extra versatility could wait,. But we are at a crossroads with our cbs and we need a change.

[quote user="OldRobert"]From SSN 16.18:MARTIN STAYING PUT

Norwich captain Russell Martin will not be joining

Brighton, Sky Sports News HQ reporter Fraser Robertson understands.

Reports elsewhere claimed the Scottish international was

a target for Chris Hughton who worked with Martin while Norwich manager.

Brighton want to sign a centre half but Sky sources say

they''re not interested in Martin. Both clubs are expected to be among the

promotion challengers this season and will meet on October 29.

[/quote]That makes sense, anyone hopeful of challenging for promotion would not want RM in their team, he is league one standard

Russell Martin made that glaring error against Liverpool - that will stick in the minds of supporters for a long time. But he and Whitaker contribute a lot of goals. So we should hold onto him. As a sub, can cover 2 positions. It''s only opinion that Ryan Bennett is ahead of him at central defence.

I am not sure who should be captain if Martin is sold. Both Howson & Tettey do not portray a captain. Howson is unassuming, never fusses over too much and does not hog the limelight. Tettey is similar. As long as the responsibility doesn''t affect their game, I''d be happy with either of these two. Would prefer them to someone that shout''s instructions all the time, not good enough as a player and is selected because he''s captain.