Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Russell Martin transfer?

Rumour has it that Chris Hughton wants our captain at the AMEX this season -

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/07/15/brighton-eye-norwich-defender-russell-martin/

😂😂😂

I like our Russ, and would be one of those happy to see him here this season. Always does a great job in the Championship - and yes, he is a good bloke too 😂👍

If I had my reservations I would say it''s towards Bassong. Was quite alarmed at some of his dithering on the ball last season, taking way too many touches when a simple ball would have sufficed. Still a good player on his day though, I just fear he''s peaked that''s all.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]The trouble with rumours is that you get your hopes up and then they are cruelly dashed on the rocks of reality.[/quote]

😁😁

Doubt we will sell but what sort of fee would we get if we were to sell him to someone like Brighton ? £2m ?

Comes from Brighton so I guess there could be something in it, but having said that he is happy and settled here so doubt it

[quote user="Alex "]😂😂😂

I like our Russ, and would be one of those happy to see him here this season. Always does a great job in the Championship - and yes, he is a good bloke too 😂👍

If I had my reservations I would say it''s towards Bassong. Was quite alarmed at some of his dithering on the ball last season, taking way too many touches when a simple ball would have sufficed. Still a good player on his day though, I just fear he''s peaked that''s all.[/quote]

Absolutely. It''s not like Martin got caught dithering on the ball or gave it away cheaply.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Alex "]😂😂😂

If I had my reservations I would say it''s towards Bassong. Was quite alarmed at some of his dithering on the ball last season, taking way too many touches when a simple ball would have sufficed. Still a good player on his day though, I just fear he''s peaked that''s all.[/quote]

Absolutely. It''s not like Martin got caught dithering on the ball or gave it away cheaply.[/quote]

No.... His back pass vs Liverpool was impeccable

Bassong only stopped looking solid when Klose got injured. He just needs confidence in his defensive partner. He will be our first choice with Klise next season.

Really glad some of you aren''t our manager. We''re all entitled to an opinion.... History shows imo Seb is a good Champs defender.

Amazing how people choose to forget how good Bassong was for us when we got promoted. His return made a huge difference, we were much better with him.

[quote user="GJP"]Amazing how people choose to forget how good Bassong was for us when we got promoted. His return made a huge difference, we were much better with him.[/quote]6 relegations in his career... SIX!

Each to their own, and Russ certainly had his share of mistakes (such as the Liverpool back pass), but Bassong didn''t do as well overall for me, he tries to do more with the ball than is necessary. Think Russ blocks more shots than he''s credited for at CB but personally I prefer him at right back. Best centre back pairing for me by a country mile was Klose and Bennett - seemed to have a very good understanding.

[quote user="Syteanric"][quote user="GJP"]Amazing how people choose to forget how good Bassong was for us when we got promoted. His return made a huge difference, we were much better with him.[/quote]6 relegations in his career... SIX![/quote]

Correct from the Premier League. We''re in the Championship, not the Premier league!

[quote user="Syteanric"][quote user="GJP"]Amazing how people choose to forget how good Bassong was for us when we got promoted. His return made a huge difference, we were much better with him.[/quote]6 relegations in his career... SIX![/quote]

Wes has been relegated from the Championship, so presumably he should be kicked out now? And should have been in the previous 2 seasons we were in the Championship?

[quote user="firststeps"]Sell sell sell sell sell... I''ll even drive him there myself 👍🏼[/quote]

If that''s a one way journey for you firststeps, I will happily pay for the fuel, oh and by the way enjoy the 4 hour journey sat next to the player you are so dismissive of.

I watched him get the goal as we beat qprs on new year''s day a few years back, we all cheered.

Time moves on, the club moves on, get rid.

It could actually suit him, as hes setting up his football training  thingy there, so  maybe that would help tempt him there. Mostly it depends how much he would really want to go, hes club captain here and has shown amazing loyalty to City. If he considers the time is right, i can see it happening.

I have always thought that Russell Martin is a better player than most of his critics give him credit for, including as a central defender.

Clearly a lot of his managers do as well ... Lambert Hughton, Neil, Strachan, they can''t all be wrong even though it is easy to be swayed by the strong negative opinions and even language directed at the player on this forum.

Having said all that this move could well be seen as the right decision at the right time for both club and player.

It is far from clear cut though, not least due to the fact that he has always seemed to be a positive influence at the Club and probably in the dressing room and is generally well-regarded throughout. His highs and lows have certainly corresponded with those of most of us for a number of years now.

Times need to change.

Russell sold for £2-3m and Grant Hanley in for a few million more would seem like good business for Alex Neil''s team at this moment in time.

Is Russ injured? No sign of him in either line up for this afternoons friendly... Perhaps the Brighton story has some substance?