Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Michael McGovern to join this week

can''t see him signing to be 2nd choice so can see ruddy going with rudd backup, good signing on a free

Well if what you say happens we would still need another keeper as Kean is joining Sheff weds and Matthews has gone on loan to Hamilton

He looked good in the Euro''s but has anyone any idea of his general performances for Hamilton? I guess AN knows best on this, just the Andreu situation makes me alittle doubtful.

Good to see the managers indepth knowledge of the scottish game,oh wait Hamilton is becoming useful in bringing in the talent

[quote user="ncfc2012"]can''t see him signing to be 2nd choice so can see ruddy going with rudd backup, good signing on a free[/quote]

Why can''t you see him being 2nd choice? Hardly a big name, and the height of his career to date is a spell at Hamilton. Would be a big move for him even if it was just to warm the bench.

I dunno, can''t see him being happy just sat around as second choice and ruddy or rudd won''t wanna be 3rd choice either. Someone will be off.

A lot of people have been writing John Ruddy off in various ways on this forum recently and I just don''t get it.

For sure he has had some lesser moments during the last two seasons but he was never, ever that bad suggesting a drop in form for whatever reason rather than a terminal decline in standards.

Young Rudd is a good ''keeper and did well for a time when JR was dropped, but he was eventually to display weaknesses which came as a disappointment to to many, like me, who had him as a shoe-in for years to come in the number one spot. A degree of deflation was involved, IMO.

Consequently when Ruddy was recalled the improvement was instant, His greater presence and command corresponded with a significant up-turn in form to the extent that I, for one, would be more than happy to have him as our first choice goalkeeper for the season ahead and would even go so far as to suggest that he will be one of the better ''keepers in the league.

Also, at nearing thirty he is coming of that age when goalkeepers, in particular, reach their peak.

We have a few good years to come of John Ruddy in the yellow (or pink, or green, or black, or orange or .....) surely?

Also, like Martin, he is a good character to have around and this is far more important than some seem to think, especially with the number of up-coming youngsters around the Club at this moment in time.

I forgot to add, and with respect OP, you have John Ruddy, a ''keeper with good Premier league experience and who has played for the full England side, being replaced by an OLDER free agent who has only ever played in the Scottish league.

Nah!

Be careful what you wish for.

Forster had only played in League one and the SPL before Southampton signed him. Schezney only played at league one level before becoming first choice at Arsenal etc etc

There are gems to be found in these leagues and by all accounts McGovern was superb in goal for for Hamilton last season, he left Hamilton to further his career, he wasn''t let go because he''s not good enough.

He looked good at the Euro''s imo, certainly better than I''ve seen Rudd play for us, he should provide Ruddy with much more fierce competition which can only be a good thing. Ruddy always seems to play at his best when he''s got something to prove or has been replaced for a while.

32 is also pretty young for a GK. We can expect another 4 or 5 years from him at his peak

Can''t get my head round this one what with two very competent keepers already on the books and another two on or about to go on loan. Something tells me there is a story we do not know about concerning either Ruddy or Rudd if this signing takes place.

Ruddy may go as back up keeper in PL, Bournemouth interested last season salary may be high enough to see him leave and he can be inconsistent. Rudd one for the future as Matthews. McGovern will want first team place rumour may be rubbish will see soon.

If he''s that good whats he doing at Hamilton , going to have to sell Ruddy now because this guy is going to be No1 and after patiently waiting for his chance i doubt Rudd will be happy seeing somebody like this brought in in front of him . We were ok for goalkeepers why rock the boat concentrate on getting some strikers in because we are woefully weak in that department and some defenders so we can offload the likes of Martin and Bassong .Not seen anything yet from Neil this summer to ease the fears that he''s not got a clue .

If this happens I can see Ruddy leaving, as he must be on a decent wage, and he''d be a good back up for a Prem team, Rudd as number 2 and an old banger as third choice.

Yes, but that''s upheaval and at a time when any degree of consistency is likely to be valuable.

Irrespective of the plus and minus points of keeping Ruddy at number one I put him in the same category as Martin, Hoolahan and Howson as being the mainstay of the Club since and before Lambert''s time. A valuable backbone.

There might have been ups and downs and each of them may well have been lacking on occasions when exposed at the highest level but none of these four has ever really let us down.

We have a tough campaign ahead and the experience and know-how of all these players will stand us in good stead during the course it, irrespective of their roles or otherwise in the first team.

We are also beginning to see some light in the progression of our young brigade. The old guard have enough influence in them to make a valuable contribution towards this evolution.

Now is not really the time to consider unloading valuable stalwarts. We took a step backwards when Grant Holt was released that little bit too early.

We have a few losers on board that we should concentrate upon unloading first. Players whose exits will likely go without note or damage.

We know who they are.

RM''s exit will leave a hole at club level that will need filling.

If McGovern is that good why has he currently not got a Club and why, despite having played for 7 Clubs, has he never been worth a transfer fee.Can''t see him coming here and being 1st choice if JR is still around (and I hope he is)

He''s not got a club because he took the gamble not to extend his contract with Hamilton and hope for a decent move after what he would hope was a decent showing in the euros. Which it obviously was. He''s probably been on holiday after euros finished etc so that''s probably why he hasn''t got a club yet.

Can''t see of these 3 being happy with 3rd choice.

[quote user="Ali K"]Prince of Wales Road will miss the revenue if big John goes[/quote]Not a problem anymore Winky as i think the previous CEO took all his relatives with him.

We''ve known for a long time that Michael was not going to sign a contract extension. Hes done very well for us and is one of the main reasons were still in the SPFL this year.

I cant see him signing as a number 2, he''s already knocked back Southampton as a back up to Fraser Forster. Perhaps Ruddy has other options?

Anyway.

Hes a very good shot stopper (just check out the game against Germany).

In my opinion he does rely on the defence a little too much instead of coming out his goal.

Hes OK at cross balls, but he''s not the tallest keeper (about 6ft2in)

Great at saving penalties and is cool as ice.

Be interesting to see how he does. Sir Alex knows him well and took him to Hamilton.

Hes a really genuinely nice guy who will be missed. Its says a lot when the supporters of all the clubs he played for wanted him to stay.

Please can we have Tony back?

Dont think Alex would say to McGovern "sign for us and you will be 3rd choice". Also doubt he would say to Rudd "McGovern is joining us and you will be demoted to 3rd choice". The question of 1st choice keeper can and will likely change from week to week in a long tough Champs season, with cup matches to of course.I see this as a good move, we will have 3  good solid keepers, creates more competition. Dont see why Rudd or Ruddy would want to move to other clubs as back ups, they may as well stay here. They are on decent wages, last season both had spells as 1st choice keeper, its up to them to impress Alex that they are best choice to be a starter  from week to week.

I too view this with a little trepidation as to what this actually means.

I cannot imagine he would agree to join us to be one of 3 senior keepers.

If Rudd has made it clear that he feels that now is the time to leave as he wants first team football, then I wouldnt blame him at all and McGovern would appear to be solid back up.

If on the other hand you were to suggest that we were replacing Ruddy with McGovern , then I don''t see that as a good move at all....

Can''t imagine McGovern will want to be in a situation like Lafferty, starter for his country but on the bench here. I expect Ruddy to move on, been a great servant to us but maybe the time has come.

I would be sad to see JR go, he is a very good keeper, I know he had his flaps last season, but he can be a dominant figure in the box when playing well.

I don''t think many would argue that the defence was a mess last season and John made a contribution to that, as did Rudd, so neither covered themselves with glory and on that basis you can see the thinking behind bringing somebody else in.

However, after Klose had selttled in we did start to look more solid and JR looked more confident, I would like to see that combination again this season as it could be mighty impressive in the Championship.

In interviews Ruddy said he came close to quitting the game, and was thankful for Norwich coming in for him and believing in him. But he''s also not the type of person to sit around on the bench, he wants to be the number one. I don''t think he''s ever really been the same after the injury. It''s not that I want him to go, but it''s different for keepers than for outfield players. Keepers rarely get the odd game or come on for 20 minutes to change a game. Added to that he''s got a year on his contract, and we''d be unlikely to offer him a new one, specially as the terms would have needed to be dramatically reduced.