Sign in to follow this  
Mark Fotheringham City Legend

Will McGovern be number one?

At the end of the day in Alex Neil we trust

Ruddy has had his ups and down the last few seasons

and since the injury has not been the keeper we can all remember that got to the england set up

maybe he wants to move on thats fair enough ,

but to let him go and replace him with a keeper who has only played SPL could not get in celtic side or dundee utd side so had to move to ross county then the great heights of falkirk then he got the big move to hamilton

Had some good games at the Euros i respect that ,

but are we not a club that wants to progress ?

Remember that great player one of the best he had at his old club he could not wait to bring with him Tony Andreu was his name !

I was worried before at the end of last season with AN in charge i hope he gets it right this season

I am sure you will be one of the first to tell us if he isn''t getting it right.

To right i will herman i do not reward Failure

AN would be on thin ice anywhere else , i do not buy into this best young manager rubbish he has a lot to prove this season

was his first season a flash in the pan ?

what is AN real style of play ?

has he learned by his mistakes ?

This is quite a complex situation if you ask me.

My gut response was that this means Rudd is going. Purely because he stands to be the one most narked off.

I''m pretty sure he''s made it clear in various interviews that he want''s first team footy and wants to be playing more regularly. On evidence he has the ability to give this level a shot.

But if McGovern has come in to be number one ahead of him, or number two ahead of him, then surely he''s going to be frustrated by that?

Ruddy going would be a huge loss for us. Honestly I care very little for people who suggest that he is rubbish. They clearly do not see how he organises his back four well. Something I felt Rudd lacked last season. I am pretty confident that had Ruddy been in goal Vs Liverpool we may not have lost that game.

It''s a tough call. If there is a time for Rudd to be given a chance this may well be it. But do we really want two relatively untried keepers at this level to rely upon for a strong promotion push?

Now that''s not to say that either or both will be brilliant and do the job for us. And I hope they do, should Ruddy be leaving.

But I think in reality there is just as much chance that Rudd will be leaving as Ruddy. Anybodies guess is good at the moment. But the sooner it is sorted out the better IMHO.

I agree Norfolkngood. As much as I like Alex Neil and he says what I want to hear, he still has a lot to prove. Alex had an immediate positive impact when he joined us, but that is not so uncommon when a new manager joins a club. Saying that, I have belief in him and in Alex Neil, i trust. I would like to see us with a new number 1, although I can''t pretend I know much about Michael McGovern apart from his Euro heroics and since Ross County he has been highly regarded wherever he has gone. Based on evidence, i wouldn''t feel 100% comfortable with either Rudd or Ruddy, however Imo Ruddy is the better out of the two. Either way competition accelerates progression, so he''s more than welcome in that respect.

Yes.

Ruddy won''t be here come 1st Sept so McGovern will be No1.

My two pence worth on the subject is that Rudd is not quite good enough for NCFC as a first choice keeper and that maybe a bit of complacency had crept into John Ruddy''s game, knowing that there were no real challengers to his position. McGovern addresses that problem by being real competition for the first team spot. It is Rudd, unfortunately or him, who loses out, pushed down to number 3 and possibly moving on.

Does anyone know if our loanees can be recalled in an emergency?

[quote user="chicken"]Honestly I care very little for people who suggest that he is rubbish. They clearly do not see how he organises his back four well. Something I felt Rudd lacked last season.[/quote]]I''d argue that BOTH of them were lacking at times when we needed more.Rudd I feel has suffered from having relatively little experience outside of L1 level, so when thrust into the headlights in the prem it was a real shock to the system, which combined with the all too frequently erratic defence in front of him, made it a VERY tough ask to come in and perform at the highest standard. I personally thought he did fairly well all things considered, and whilst there was indeed an improvement when JR came back in, that improvement was slight as against vast IMHO.If we could have the Ruddy back that quite rightly got his England call-ups and looked so damn strong and assured, then I''d be wondering if AN had gone mad, but we haven''t seen THAT Ruddy for a while now, and if the coaching staff don''t feel we''re likely to see it again anytime soon (whilst paying top wages in the process), then I can completely understand a potential decision to move him on (if it is indeed JR who would be leaving).

i am pretty sure season long loanees can not be recalled - struggling to find this seasons rules right now

I have to say Rudd looked very poor in the friendly today. Should have stopped their second and third goals and arguably could have done better with the first.

It should come down to form and fitness whether a player is selected or not. No player should otherwise be automatically selected. I would still expect JR to start the season, so it''s a ''No'' from me.