Sign in to follow this  
Mark Fotheringham City Legend

Will McGovern be number one?

Yes, and if it all goes belly up expect him to compete with Russell Martin as the number one scapegoat.

Apples

Beginning to think that he might.

There seem to be things afloat, wheels within wheels, goings on that will now be revealed as McGovern has signed.

I believe the opening post in this thread quoted a source which stated that we were open to offers for both Ruddy and Bassong, amongst others.

I expressed surprise at the mention of Ruddy, but events and rumours seem to be verifying this report.

Its a no from me.

Why, other than money, would Ruddy leave to be an understudy elsewhere? His off field issues have resolved, he returned to the side as our number 1 and is still the best goalkeeper of the 3. Assuming Rudd also stays, the key is how to keep all 3 happy. It''ll be interesting to have McGovern and Lafferty both first choice for Northern Ireland, but not good enough to play for us. On that, does anyone know if Lafferty has gone to Austria?

Love Ruddy, but you do have to ask yourself why McGovern would come to us on (likely) less money than what either Southampton or Burnley would currently offer to also be back up. It only makes sense to me if he knows JR is likely to be departing - and the rumours do seem strong.

[quote user="curious yellow"]Rudd for me, played well before the defence was changed. Ruddy could go so McGovern is good, experienced back up.[/quote]
But Rudds efforts last season indicated he wasn''t even as good as Ruddy, why would he suddenly move up to first spot now?

[quote user="Alex "]Love Ruddy, but you do have to ask yourself why McGovern would come to us on (likely) less money than what either Southampton or Burnley would currently offer to also be back up. It only makes sense to me if he knows JR is likely to be departing - and the rumours do seem strong.[/quote]Thats my take on it. I shall also throw into the mix that Rudd is of the age and experience where he will likely be insisting on first team football.Literally no idea how this could pan out frankly.

I really can''t see any positives other than he''s free!

Not really been at any high level, played just 15 times for NI, just can''t see why so many people think he''s an improvement on what we have!

Ruddy even with his wobbles, is in my opinion streets ahead.

Would be really dissapointed to see Ruddy replaced by McGovern.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="curious yellow"]Rudd for me, played well before the defence was changed. Ruddy could go so McGovern is good, experienced back up.[/quote]
But Rudds efforts last season indicated he wasn''t even as good as Ruddy, why would he suddenly move up to first spot now?
[/quote]

Rudd replaced Ruddy last season and it was almost unanimous that it was the right move.He took us into the new year and we looked fairly certain to stay up.

Then came the new signings and even Klose didn''t look too good at that time.

Ruddy replaced Rudd for his experience which was probably for his experience but it didn''t work.

Rudd has been highly praised during his loan moves, we have invested a lot of time in him and it is time for him to realise his potential as a top class keeper. I think he can do it.

The club has said it is open to offers for Ruddy so it could well happen.

Rudd is young and improving, we cant keep relying on other clubs to produce our team.

Are these rumours that he turned down offers from Burnley and Southampton from a credible source?

Looks like we have a right old conundrum here then.Literally no one can see how this is working out.

Morty no money in the city bank for a decent keeper ? ;-)

[quote user="Indy"]Morty no money in the city bank for a decent keeper ? ;-)[/quote]You''ll have to broach that question with the people who are connected Indy.[:)]

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]No, I think Ruddy, Rudd and McGovern will all stay.[/quote]So you have Ruddy who probably expects the number one jersey.Rudd who, probably at this stage of his career, expects it too.And Mcgovern, who allegedly turned moves down elsewhere to come here.Whats the pecking order CC?