Sign in to follow this  
bringbackchippy

Elliot Bennett

He''s a professional footballer why can''t he go where he gets the best or only offer

City to Ipswich

Ipswich to City

It''s happened many times

I don''t really see any problem with it, if he''s settled in the area there aren''t many clubs to join and if you''re offered first team football then you''d go for it. And it''s not a case were he''s forced a move from us to go to the binners, we let him go and he''s now trying to resurrect a career for himself and I hope he does well apart from two games on a Sunday.

Poor old Elliot, popular and nice but not really much good. I will always remember his goal against Spurs though, terrific.

I would t be too dismayed if he joins the scum, let them waste the pennies they have.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Poor old Elliot, popular and nice but not really much good. I will always remember his goal against Spurs though, terrific.

I would t be too dismayed if he joins the scum, let them waste the pennies they have.[/quote]Grossly unfair.  Bennett on his day was as skilful a player as many others we have had who have done well.  A player gaining in confidence until the injury set him back.  Popular, nice and a very good player.  Hope he does well, even if he goes to Portaloo Rd. 

Nothing like the Andy Marshall situation.

Marshall came through our Youth system and eventually became our 1st choice and pretty much ever-present for 6 seasons. He left us when we were down...on a free. Filth.

E.Bennett "journeyed" around clubs before we signed him. 1 season of regular-ish football, followed by many bit-part years, then a few loans before finally being sold to Blackburn, so not a direct sale or free to the binners. Hardly going to set the league alight, shows where 1p5wich are now considering many poor clubs (Brighton/Blackburn/Bristol City), don''t see him as worthy.

I couldn''t give a toss if he signed for them, the people above who do need to get a life.

No disrespect to EB, but he is a player we no longer needed and sold on for £250, 000 to a struggling Championship club, and even then it was partly due to the Lambert input.

On the same day that we sign a seemingly very promising youngster from a somewhat reluctant Liverpool F.C. and for a fee getting on for £3m. we hear that ITFC are keen on acquiring Elliot, subject to him being a freebie of course.

Bootiful ...... Mind the gap!

Many binners seem to fancy McCarthy getting their team a play-off place in the season ahead, what are our chances by comparison given the above facts?

lake district canary wrote the following post at 15/07/2016 10:40 AM:

Vanwink wrote:

Poor old Elliot, popular and nice but not really much good. I will always remember his goal against Spurs though, terrific. I would t be too dismayed if he joins the scum, let them waste the pennies they have.

Grossly unfair. Bennett on his day was as skilful a player as many others we have had who have done well. A player gaining in confidence until the injury set him back. Popular, nice and a very good player. Hope he does well, even if he goes to Portaloo Rd.

He did indeed have his good days, I remarked on his goal against Spurs, but unable to sustain a decent level of consistency.

Never the same after his injury, agreed, good luck to him, a good guy.

That season he scored against Spurs I thought he was generally playing consistently well and very effective.

After his injury he never looked anything close.  I remember him coming on against Rotherham in the league cup the season before last and he just looked poor (he replaced Vadis who was taking them apart down the same flank).

No resentment if he ends up at 1p5wich - not as if he''s a long-serving player who''s chosen to leave us for them.

The injury seemed to stall his career, shame a really nice guy, remember him in the away section with us at Old Trafford a few seasons back, joining in with the banter and songs.

Wish him well wherever he turns up, and certainly has done nothing to warrant boos imo.

EB was always one of those players people liked because he runs around a lot and said nice things about the club on social media.

Bang average, not a great crosser and never looked likely to beat a man. I don''t ever remember watching him play and thinking ''he''s got the beating of that full-back today.''

Always thought he was much inferior to Pilkington but got more love from the fans due to being a nice, honest, hard working lad.

Won''t be concerned/upset if he ends up at Ipswich.

[quote user="king canary"]EB was always one of those players people liked because he runs around a lot and said nice things about the club on social media. Bang average, not a great crosser and never looked likely to beat a man. I don''t ever remember watching him play and thinking ''he''s got the beating of that full-back today.'' Always thought he was much inferior to Pilkington but got more love from the fans due to being a nice, honest, hard working lad. Won''t be concerned/upset if he ends up at Ipswich.[/quote]

I remember when he played for us against Villa (when Lambert was our manager not theirs) and he took the fullback to pieces, he ended up sent off for a second yellow, both for fouls on EB because he couldn''t stop him any other way.

Your description fits him after the injury but not before. 

It amazes me that people don''t really understand the physical demands of modern football, if a player gets injured, sometimes he can be basically back to fitness afterwards but having lost a bit of physical ability which is enough to make the difference in performance at the top level.

@ICF

I do understand that- but I don''t remember this all action Bennett some people are describing before the injury either. I always thought he was a decent but not great player for us. He had his moments (the goal against Spurs springs to mind) but I never felt he was more than average.

For me I also found it frustrating how much stick infinitely more talented players in similar positions used to get (Snodgrass, Redmond, Pilkington) but our fans would always go on about how much they loved Bennett. Obviously not his fault but it still used to bug me.

Nice guy, but never quite good enough.

I won''t think any less of him, as previously said, totally different to the Marshall situation.

He''s a decent enough player not great not terrible, the injury seemed to be just at the wrong momment for him. I do think he always came across as a really nice guy though and if he goes to the binners I''ll still hope he does well in a hopefully failing team, to be fair he probably doesn''t have a huge amount if clubs to pick from if he''s on the move again.

I''ll cheer him if he turns up with scum. He simply isn''t good enough to become a fans favourite there and singing that he''s one of our own will pi55 them lot off immensely and I can''t help but think a player who is well aware how much more classy NCFC is compared to the scum playing amoungst their ranks can only be a good thing.

I mean he''ll find out himself how vastly inferior they are to us in every conceivable way by himself when he signs, but a good reception next time we play them will only confirm that in his mind

I absolutely hate the Scum with a passion but EB was a reliable and good footballer for us who played his part both on and off the field but i wish him well whoever he plays for. There will be boos for his ten team mates,management and scummy supporters if he signs for the Scum but not for him from me.

Very rarely will I boo an ex City player, not unless he left under a cloud or has spoken badly about our club, but this idea of calling every ex-player judas if they come back with another club is beyond me.

agree with Morty..Marshall got what he deserved, especially as it looked like he was off to Southampton before taking the money at the binners.as for EB, if he joins Ipswich I won''t give him a hard time.. he''s a man earning his trade and they are his employers. that''s life!

This story has died down now so hopefully it was just a rumour.

Really like Elliot, a really decent person who does loads of good stuff off the pitch for various charities but wouldnt want him to go there

[quote user="king canary"]@ICF

I do understand that- but I don''t remember this all action Bennett some people are describing before the injury either. I always thought he was a decent but not great player for us. He had his moments (the goal against Spurs springs to mind) but I never felt he was more than average.

For me I also found it frustrating how much stick infinitely more talented players in similar positions used to get (Snodgrass, Redmond, Pilkington) but our fans would always go on about how much they loved Bennett. Obviously not his fault but it still used to bug me.[/quote]

I don''t remember Pilkington getting slated much to be honest. In fact I seem to remember a lot of people being a bit gutted when he was sold on.

Snodgrass was an obvious one though. He doesn''t have bags of pace and was a bit of a ''hogger''. In some games he''d take the momentum out of our own attack. Now, some lay the blame at the feet of Hughton who appeared to like inverted wingers. That''s also probably a fair observation.

Either way, he was never as positive in his play as say Redmond, Pilkington or Bennett who all to various degrees, liked to go at defenders a lot more. In fact, one of people''s crticisms of Redmond was that he could do that but often seemed too reluctant to do so.

Snodgrass isn''t that type of player at all it would seem. I suggested at the time that he may be better off more central as it is where he seemed to want to be half the time.

Bennett was well liked because of his attitude and his drive to take the ball forward and attack defenders. He may not be as good as Redmond or Pilkington but he was consistent and you knew that he was going to do his best to be a pita to the full back he was up against.

As others have said, the injury seemed to be a real blow to him.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="king canary"]@ICF

For me I also found it frustrating how much stick infinitely more talented players in similar positions used to get (Snodgrass, Redmond, Pilkington) but our fans would always go on about how much they loved Bennett. Obviously not his fault but it still used to bug me.[/quote]

I don''t remember Pilkington getting slated much to be honest. In fact I seem to remember a lot of people being a bit gutted when he was sold on.

Snodgrass was an obvious one though. He doesn''t have bags of pace and was a bit of a ''hogger''. In some games he''d take the momentum out of our own attack. Now, some lay the blame at the feet of Hughton who appeared to like inverted wingers. That''s also probably a fair observation.

Either way, he was never as positive in his play as say Redmond, Pilkington or Bennett who all to various degrees, liked to go at defenders a lot more. In fact, one of people''s crticisms of Redmond was that he could do that but often seemed too reluctant to do so.

Snodgrass isn''t that type of player at all it would seem. I suggested at the time that he may be better off more central as it is where he seemed to want to be half the time.

Bennett was well liked because of his attitude and his drive to take the ball forward and attack defenders. He may not be as good as Redmond or Pilkington but he was consistent and you knew that he was going to do his best to be a pita to the full back he was up against.

As others have said, the injury seemed to be a real blow to him.[/quote]It was a real shame, I remember being at that game, and Bennett had a cracker, and my thoughts were "Bloody hell, he''s worked really hard over the summer, this could be his season"I think he probably thought the same, which is why he really was never quite the same after the injury.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="king canary"]@ICF

As others have said, the injury seemed to be a real blow to him.[/quote]It was a real shame, I remember being at that game, and Bennett had a cracker, and my thoughts were "Bloody hell, he''s worked really hard over the summer, this could be his season"I think he probably thought the same, which is why he really was never quite the same after the injury.[/quote]

That game was near easter so a bit after the summer.