Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Ben Godfrey

Who has seen this guy play in the flesh? What kind of player is he? I see Alex Neil has been very impressed with him so wondered if he is anywhere near the first team match day squad?

Regards to the other youngsters, It would appear that the Murphy boys will have their ''breakthrough season'' chance this season and I hope one or even both grab it. Maddison will get minutes from the bench I think, coming on to replace Wes or Naismith.

Tool may even get a sniff at left back if we sell Brady and Olsson gets injured or suspended.

Exciting times for the youngsters, but who will take their chance?!

That doesn''t worry me at all - having players that can be used in several positions is good, we have plenty in m/f and noticing that he has the ability to be a decent defender could be seen as being good coaching.

I''ve seen Godfrey play.. for an 18yo he is huge!

I''m not sure what his best position is - could be central midfielder or centreback.. not sure about fullback. I guess we will find out over time.

Interestingly AN has played both Godfrey and Thompson at fullback.

Murphys have both been excellent -major part in all our goals in the last two games Canos will have a fight to get a regular place.

Perhaps they being wasted out wide, Josh''s goal yesterday in particular is what you would hope a striker would score.

I''ve seen him play a couple of times and he does look good on the ball, his physique stands out a lot for his age like everyone and AN says. Those who are moaning about him being played at RB, I think you''d rather experiment with him in pre-season than an actual competitive match. That is exactly what pre-season is for, Alex is still learning about his players. I don''t believe AN actually thinks right back is his position anyway, much like Louis Ramsey at Peterborough, Thompson and Godfrey were filling in and gaining match fitness. Considering in both games neither Whittaker, Pinto or Russell Martin were available, you still have to have someone in that position. You would rather have your more experienced players getting their match fitness in positions where they are already established.

I would like to see him play in a holding midfield type role, with the physical presence he has added with a bit of aggression, i can see him doing very well in that position.

I thought Godfrey looked a lot more up for it than Thompson last night, who on the first goal watched the left winger from a few yards away without every pressurising him - much in the way Leroy Fer used to. It was much too easy for him to measure his cross. I suspect that''s why the change was made.

Who cares if Godfrey arrived as a midfielder? Maybe York City never found his best position, or perhaps as he was so young they just didn''t want to risk him in the back line. He certainly looks as though he can see what''s happening around him and react to it.

Yes, you have to assume - with no disrespect to York City - that the coaching he''s getting here is several orders of magnitude better than he''s been used to; so quite possibly our backroom team has spotted potential in him that''s never been exploited before. Really quite exciting to see so many good young players pushing hard for the first team; wouldn''t be surprised to see him move above Whittaker in the pecking order and get a chance in the league cup if he continues to make progress.

IMO, it''s mainly about getting minutes on the pitch but he did look very good at RB when he came on and AN did say something about finding his best position, though he did think that would be in CM.