Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Norwich loosing/lost the race to sign Hanley

Sky reports that Newcastle have agreed a £5.5m deal with Blackburn Rovers and set for a medical, according to:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-transfers-magpies-agree-11638969?

What alternatives are there? Or would you guys be happy to stick with what we have?

Personally I wouldn''t feel 100% comfortable with Bassong, Martin or Bennett, even though they have been there and done it before.

I would like to see another CB come in although looking at the squad it''s more of a luxury than a necessity. The problem we have is finding an upgrade on bassong, bennet and martin for the money we are likely to have a available. Not easy.

Think Newcastle were always ahead on this one, not sure we were seriously after the bloke.

Not sure Hanley was ever a target. Him and Klose together would have been painfully slow and really not suitable for AN who likes a high line.

Norwich will only dip their toe in for a defender if someone leaves, there are 5 CBs on the books as it stands, or if a deal too good to pass up becomes possible.

Most Championship clubs would love any of our CB''s. As much as Bassong, Martin and to an extent Bennett failed in the PL they''re actually more than capable in the Championship. That said if we can get players in who are an improvement then all the better!

Just realised I''d forgotten Turner, I''m gobsmacked he''s still here in all honesty but as a 5th choice CB there aren''t many better in the Championship!

Good news if true. Grant Hanley screams Championship and is no improvement on the boys behind Klose and Bennett. I''m sure next summer we''ll be in a position to sign better 👍

I questioned if we ever had any serious interest in him too, obviously our priority has to be a prolific striker. I can see that taking a long time time still as other clubs tend to like bringing in someone or having them lined up for a replacement first. We also still have KL on our books and I haven''t seen any clubs linked to him in a while. Still a long way to go I guess.

Out of interest, could anyone see someone offering £5m-£6m for any of Martin, Bassong or Bennett?

The need for strengthening the central defensive area is not nearly as pressing as the need to get at least one decent striker in to the extent that it might be sensible to hold fire with this and see how the current crop go.

They are unlikely to be a disaster so there is little need to rush the matter.

We would all like to see a new boy to accompany Klose, but unless we can unload either Bassong or Bennett all of a sudden this would seem to be financially impractical .

We''ll know by Xmas whether this proves to be practical from the playing point of view.

Klose + Bennett would be a sterling CB partnership at this level. With Bassong filling in when needed and Martin around in case of emergencies, I think we''re covered.

Hanley has never, ever impressed me for club or country and I''d be quite glad to see him not come to us for the prices being thrown around. If Toon get back up this year, I''d say it won''t be long before he is benchwarming.

A new signing to go with Klose is probably one for next season - if we get promoted. At Champ level, any of Bassong, Bennett or Martin should be enough.

[quote user="Timmy Time"]*losing[/quote]

Thank you for being that guy, otherwise it was going to have to be me.

Timmy/Orly unfortunately the spelling and grammar on this board is deplorable an indictment of our education system. However correcting these errors is a full time exercise. I suggest you just suck it up.

Come on Pete! I''m not usually that bad, I will always hold my hands up when I make a mistake unlike others. I hated English at school, though since leaving I have realized how useful it can be in regards to communicating and expressing opinions. When I got into Uni I started to realize just how bad my grammar and vocabulary was, it''s slowly improving after writing numerous assignments. I can''t be making mistakes like that going into my third year and having to write a 10,000 word dissertation haha.

Yup. I am aware of Bassong''s transfer history. Nobody would pay that for him now though and nobody will ever part with that kind of money for Bennett.

Martin is preferred for scotland and while Hanley is only 24 its hard to think he will improve significantly.

Bennett cost us in excess of £3m several seasons ago and given recently transfer fee inflation suggests a player of similar ability. If Hanley is of a similar quality to Ryan I am sorry thats not quite good enough for the prem although adequate for the champs and we may as well stick with what he have.

I reckon if Bennett had more than a year left on his contract Norwich could get £5.5m for him.

Although that is more indicative of the price of players at the moment than a massive endorsement of Ryan''s ability. I''m by no means a big fan of Bennett, but he is as good as Hanley.

Happy to see the end of this rumour myself, we have better here and at least on par as back up. Although Newcastle have a few good players, with Sissoko and Wijnaldum very likely to leave this window, I wouldn''t be so confident if I was a toon supporter that they''re going to win the league, or even finish top 2. Our likely first 11 looks far stronger to me...

[quote user="The Walking Man "]Most Championship clubs would love any of our CB''s. As much as Bassong, Martin and to an extent Bennett failed in the PL they''re actually more than capable in the Championship. That said if we can get players in who are an improvement then all the better!

Just realised I''d forgotten Turner, I''m gobsmacked he''s still here in all honesty but as a 5th choice CB there aren''t many better in the Championship![/quote]

No, no, no. Martin, Bennett and Bassong are not good enough for the Championship. Norwich City had a poor defensive record in this division 2 years ago. There are no leaders at the club who realise that a good side has to be built from the back. What is it about this club that all the talk is always for strikers and never defenders? About time we had Italian owners with an Italian manager who can get the back line sorted out. Norwich City are going to show all the same failings all over again. Delia out.

So, Norwich have won the race not to sign Hanley, good news indeed, i agree with other posters who say hes no upgrade to what we already have. As regards our CB situation, the one factor that outshone all these thoughts of new CB coming in, was keeping Klose at the club, in reality making the need for another CB coming in as much less needy. Our other CBs seem to play better with him as a partner. So ya, looks like Timm will be with us at least until January, hopefully even much longer than that. Think and hope Alexs main ambition lies in getting a striker in before the Blackburn game, that has super priority right now surely.And Vince, if you are so besotted with Italian style, easy solution, go support Watford.

Big Vince, what do you constitute a poor defensive record? Is having the third best defensive record in the division ''poor''? Because if it is then fair enough your post is valid. But if you think like I do, having the third best defensive record in the division is actually pretty good going. And throw into that defence Timm Klose and Ivo Pinto and actually I would argue we''ve strengthened somewhat. ~

The fascination with strikers is that we had the third best goalscoring record two years ago but only Jerome remains out of the trio of strikers who scored the majority of our goals. And i''ll bite at you Italian owners quip, how are Leeds doing? Big Vince out.