Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Good time to change captaincy ?

Firstly this is not have a pop at Russ, however with the fact he has a bit of on-going back problems and been sent home from Austria, injections may help, but may not and could miss start of the season.

So, should we change the captaincy now for the season ahead, and if so who should it be ? Personally I like the idea of Jonny Howson, but maybe Klosse ? even Tettey or McGovern ? (last one is tongue firmly in cheek)... discuss ?

Howson was Leeds'' youngest ever Captain, always thought he would be captain here.But I vote Klose. For everything.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Team captain Howson.Club captain Martin.[/quote]I agree with this. Klose is obviously a cut above and a natural communicator/organiser, but I think if he has a good first half to the season then someone''s likely to come in for him in the January window and we may be powerless to resist if he wants to make the move. Howson is more likely to stay at the club, and has been a consistent and largely injury-free performer for several years now.

Surely it won''t be Howson, when Martin was unavailable last season Tettey was selected as captain over Howson.

Klose.

Perhaps ring some of his mates up and see if they fancy the championship. There''s a few handy Swiss squad members I''d be happy with us buying. Realistic targets too.

Think folk are right about Klose as a candidate, but unless we''re ten points clear at the top come January, its going to be hard to keep him whether he''s captain or not.

No-ones mentioned Wes. He''d be my pick. Longest serving player, likely to be involved in most games [probably bossing most of them]. And going back to the Howson point, Ive lost count of the number of times ive left a game thinking ''we''d never have won that without Wes''. He seems to have become more like that all-action captain-material type of player too.

Of course it''s a good time to change the captain - it should happen automatically if Martin is excluded from the starting line-up, as all football logic demands. We''ve seen far too many images of him, head in hands in the aftermath of his latest rickett. Now, those in denial on the subject are suggesting that he could play centre back alongside Klosse and because of the talent of the Swiss defender, we could "get away with it". Why handicap Klosse in this way? It is all part of a "retain at all costs" strategy from a group of people who think there is an agenda surrounding Martin. I would suggest it is they who have the agenda.

Another line from these folk who want to keep Martin at all cost is to appoint him as club captain alongside whoever is chosen as team captain. What the hell is that all about if not to be in denial about the need to be rid of him?

As for who the next captain should be, that decision can only come from someone who knows the individuals well and knows how they react with their team mates.

[8]Move KloseMove your body real KloseUntil we-ee-ee-eeFeel like we''re really makin'' love[8]