Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Today's rumour - Vadis to Legia Warsaw

According to a Belgian newspaper or something, but there could well be something in this :-

http://readnorwich.com/2016/07/22/legia-warsaw-interested-in-norwich-midfielder/

I find this quite a frustrating one, Bethnal - I believe Vadis has superb technique and for this reason you''d think he''d be a real asset but unfortunately (and through no fault of his own) he can''t keep away from the injury table! A real shame, as I think there''s a great attacking centre mid there but I''m not sure we''ll ever see the best of him unfortunately, so a move is probably the best for all parties I guess.

Like RVW no matter the perceived merits and unseen ability in a Norwich shirt it has been a very expensive signing that has just not worked out.

Shame really as he looked good but unfortunately only in fits and starts and I think your right in that 2 seasons is long enough even accounting for his long injury layoff.

Didn''t have the best game at Bournemouth last season, but we''ve seen glimpses there Tilly, Sheff Weds I think stood out - but I do agree though, how long can you cling on to a player staying injury free and becoming the player some of think he can?. I can see there being some truth to this rumour, we have many midfielders on the books and I think it''s inevitable we''ll see 1 or 2 departures from that position before the season starts.

I was warned by someone who covers Belgian football that Norwich might have signed a duffer not long after he came in. Think his early promise had never really delivered, he was starting to show he has a problem with injuries and his professionalism isn''t the best apparently.

It was a gamble worth taking I think, as he did once show a huge amount of skill. He just never found his grove at Norwich and maybe didn''t apply himself enough when given chances.

Want to see Vadis given a run of games. With his injuries and the way he''s been treated no wonder he''s lacking confidence. Concede one penalty and he''s out of the team, out of squad and out of the club - it''s ridiculous. There are players making mistakes every game, single-handedly getting us relegated and they''re still in the team ! Vadis can play in multiple positions on the pitch. This is one time I hope the rumour comes to nothing.

He''s too lazy to play any position other than attacking midfield. So the question then becomes is he better than what we have there? I''d say no.

People talking about him needing a run of games- the reason he''s never had one is fitness usually.

It seemed like a very good signing at the time but now he''s just another one we are waiting to'' ''come good'' in order to justify the fee and a place on the wages bill ... Naismith, Jarvis, Mulumbu, Andreu, RVW, Lafferty. They have piled up.

Balanced against waiting for this to happen we have the fact that we have a surfeit of midfielders, including youngsters like Madison waiting to breakthrough,and the money could come in handy in the transfer market.

Better another solid central defender than Vadis as things stand at the moment.

Striker over centre back for me Broadstairs, also wouldn''t give up on Naismith just yet, he wasn''t fully fit when he joined apparently so let''s see what he does this season - I have a feeling he can be amongst one of our best performers in the Championship with any luck 👍

Agreed re: Naismith and I expect him to ''come good'' too.

I was jumping the gun with regards to McCormack signing when I mentioned a new centre back, but two new strikers would be nice.

I have higher hopes for him than RvW. Whenever I have seen Vadis play, albeit in cup and U21 games, I have liked the look of him.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Yet another in the ever increasing list of expensive flops.Why are we such a soft touch when it comes to transfers?[/quote]Or do we just make more of a drama about it, than other clubs do?

[quote user="king canary"]@morty

I don''t think so- our transfer record of late has been pretty terrible.[/quote]It has?Really we do make more of it, because the money means more to us, with us having less of it. Would Man Utd fans cry if a 8 million player didn''t work out? Nah.And also its always going to be riskier for us, as we are constantly after a bargain, and far less likely to be buying finished articles.

Legia Warsaw - suggests that the agents have already been busy - and contact confirmed by AN in his press conference today. Decision to be made.. which I interpreted as being we will let him go on loan if enough wages are paid...

Bit strange that is a loan considering his contract expires at next summer.

Would basically be just running down his contract. Hopefully Norwich could offload all his wages onto Legia Warsaw but that seems unlikely.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]If Norwich could get a fee for Vadis it would be very impressive.

Basically done nothing for 2 seasons now, hope it comes off and Norwich can ease the wage bill a little.[/quote]

Possibly a swap deal?

Legia''s hot shot striker (28 goals in 38) Nikolic could be an interesting addition....

Alex you keep mentioning injury problems but I can''t remember Vadis having more than the one injury since he has been here. He returned February/March time in that first season so has been fit to play for almost 18 months unless I have missed something? When he has played he had a little something going forward but didn''t look like he had the work rate or defensive awareness to play in the midfield or on the wing. Won''t get ahead of Hoolahan or Naismith as an AM so I would move him on, save the wage for elsewhere in the squad.

@Morty

Yes it has been. Just look at the hit rate we''ve had over the last few years.

You''ve answered your own question re Man U- they have more money so if an £8m player doesn''t work out it isn''t a big deal as their squad is full of players who cost double, triple or in the case of Pogba potentially 12 times that.

Just take a look at some of the crap we''ve bought in over the last few years, either on high fees, high wages or both. Van Wolfswinkle, Lafferty, Mulumbu, Fer, Vadis, Andreu, these are all in the last three seasons. We paid money for Miquel who never even played a league game for us!

I would think that every club has a variable success rate with transfers but unless you went on every messageboard for every club you would not know that every club''s fans were making as much fuss about the failures as we do.

Yes every club has a variable hit rate but ours is worse than others- as two relegations in the last three years shows.

I think that it''s more that we are aware of more of our signings. How many of spur''s or West brom''s signings can you think of for example? They will most likely have signed a similar number of duds over the same period but as they''re not in the squads you don''t remember them...

Also, interesting that you class fer as a dud, yes he didn''t perform to his expected standard for us on a regular basis but we sold him for more than we spent on him.

So is that how a signing is judged a success? ''Yeah sure he didn''t play that well and we got relegated but at least we made a couple of million quid on him!'' Sorry not for me. He was a dud because he didn''t play very well and we got relegated.

"So is that how a signing is judged a success? ''Yeah sure he didn''t play that well and we got relegated but at least we made a couple of million quid on him!'' Sorry not for me. He was a dud because he didn''t play very well and we got relegate.!

As opposed to a double-dud who proves to be poor and we also lose money on the player.

A profit in the transfer market cannot be so easily dismissed for clubs like Norwich City. Value for money from a any player is important for us and probably much more so than for the bigger boys.

For every Grant Holt and John Ruddy, (and we could now add Jonny Howson) though we have a Tony Andreu and a Vadis and possibly a Mulumbu.

One hopes it all balances out in the long run, but we cannot afford to continually get short shrift in the market place.

A signing isn''t made successful just through the financial side but when you qualify the signings as with being high fees and/or wages then it seems like something that you have factored in and the fact that we received our record (at the time) transfer fee for fer means that it was at least partly successful... Also, whilst on this horse, I think it''s a bit early to write off mulumbu. He''s been here one season, which wasn''t successful for him, but he was playing catch-up all season after his preseason injury. If he shows the quality that he had a few years ago and gets us promoted I would say that transfer was also a qualified success.

Re Mulumbu of course if he comes good then great. But right now he is failure as he was our main summer signing and played only 6 times all the last season. I''m judging signings on what they''ve done for us not what they might do in the future.

Last season we made 10 signings. I''d say only two of them actually improved our first 11. That isn''t good enough.