Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Ross Mccormack Again

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]He''s pretty much the same age as Holt was when we signed him and strikers often mature later and have their best years in the late 20s/early 30s[/quote]

McCormack will be 30 on the 18th August. Holt was 32 when he left us 3 years ago. He was with us for four years and was 28 when we signed him.

£13mil on a 28 year old means you could expect 3-4 years return on that. The same amount on a 30 year old . . . . .

Look, I get that we need goals, and when you look at the amounts of money already paid in this league for the likes of Rhodes etc, it may well take a wedge to get one.

However, I also agree with some of the concerns that that amount of money is a big gamble.

Cureton''s game was never about pace either. At least certainly not when we resigned him after being one of the leagues top scorers. That didn''t work out so well either.

"If a large chunk of that fee was after promotion I could see us smashing our transfer record again tbh."

I would love him here, but seem to be one of few.

What a statement of intent this would be?

What a brilliant player and natural goalscorer?

The above quote is pertinent though as I cannot really see us forking out that amount of money on one player at this moment in time.

It might even be seen as reckless.

BUT,

(1) Fulham seem to be coming to the end with this player having failed to get promotion with him and his wages. This thread also indicates that they may be after Wilson.

(2) McCormack himself seems to want a move out of Craven Cottage, as touched upon in a quote above.

If therefore an initial payment of say £10m was to be on the cards (and his age indicates that Fulham will need to make some concession on their demands) with the rest coming should we get promoted in the next two seasons then I think we will have done well.

If this player ends up in the yellow I, for one, will now put a sizeable bet on NCFC finishing in the top two and an even bigger wager on promotion for our Club.

Hambition, say I.

Strike while the iron is hot, whilst we have a very good squad of PL experienced players and the parachutes to back us up.

We retain the ''taint'' of a Premier League team for the time being. We are amongst the favourites for promotion.

Let''s rub it in. We need to get out of this league asap or otherwise Championship mediocrity won''t see us aiming for the likes of McCormack but instead returning to the days having to use midfielders like ''Rusty'' Russell as makeshift a striker once again or thinking the likes of ''Dave the Striker'' make up a decent strike-force.

I''m with you Broadstairs, although not totally convinced we are seriously looking at him, but Fulham it seems have agreed a season long loan for James Wilson, so there could will be some movement at Craven Cottage soon.

At least we are being linked with spending large amounts on a striker,# encouraged

It really depends on the state of our finances. Gambles are not a good idea when it comes to sustaining a football club. Burn £10m plus by all means, but make sure it will not break the bank should we fail to get promoted. Gambling and failing is the sure fire way of ending up in debt and back where we were in 2008.

Wise words from Broadstairs. Last season we had a defence incapable of securing PL survival. We need to avoid another August fiasco this season. As things stand we have insufficient goals in the team to finish higher than mid-table.

In two minds on this one.

When we bought Klose, and then Pinto and Naismith in Jan I really thought we''d have enough to stay up. We couldn''t however score goals with Jerome, Bamford, MBokani, Naismith, Lafferty and Grabban/Hooper when they were in the squad.

So my question is: is it the goalscorer or is it a case of needing better supply into what we have? At some points last season we could have had Ibrahimovic and Griezman playing for us and it would have made b****r all difference.

So while it would be a good statement AN needs to be sure it is addressing the right problem, we can''t continue to spend money in the wrong area. I still see CB as priority No1 personally.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Wise words from Broadstairs. Last season we had a defence incapable of securing PL survival. We need to avoid another August fiasco this season. As things stand we have insufficient goals in the team to finish higher than mid-table.[/quote]
Why? We have a 20 goal a season striker in Jerome.
We have Hoolahan who chips in with a few.
Howson who chips in with a few.
Josh Murphy who scored 7 in this league last season (I think).
Canos who scored a few in this league last season.
We have attacking fullbacks in Olsson and Pinto.
Heck, Russell Martin grabbed a few last time we were here.
So, and I know this is hugely unlikely - after making a ridiculous comment, for the first time ever on this forum, are you going to back it up?

[quote user="andy 1974"]Goals will get us out of the championship, not playing for your country and earning caps.

Having international players doesn''t guarantee you anything![/quote]

As England have constantly demonstrated.

McCormack wanted to go to a premier team. Premiership teams don''t want him, even the clubs just promoted.

As long as Villa and Newcastle don''t come in he might settle for Norwich.

If we do get promoted I cant see him doing well in the prem and by the time we''ve worked that out it will be too late.

15 million for one season is too much, what if he got injured? Big money guarantees nothing, we should have learned that by now.

Better to bring through young prospects, even if it takes longer.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Wise words from Broadstairs. Last season we had a defence incapable of securing PL survival. We need to avoid another August fiasco this season. As things stand we have insufficient goals in the team to finish higher than mid-table.[/quote]
Why? We have a 20 goal a season striker in Jerome.
We have Hoolahan who chips in with a few.
Howson who chips in with a few.
Josh Murphy who scored 7 in this league last season (I think).
Canos who scored a few in this league last season.
We have attacking fullbacks in Olsson and Pinto.
Heck, Russell Martin grabbed a few last time we were here.
So, and I know this is hugely unlikely - after making a ridiculous comment, for the first time ever on this forum, are you going to back it up?
[/quote]

I couldn''t disagree with you more.

We have 1 striker capable of scoring at this level in Jerome. Who let''s be honest is probably not the same player he was 2 season''s ago, particularly confidence wise.

You''re saying that''s enough because we have players who "chip in with a few"

We need at least one more goalscorer. Preferably 2 if it were possible. Clearly Alex neil knows this and that is ehy we are actively looking to recruit in that area.

I hear people''s concerns about The Mccormack signing but i will never complain if we sign a player with his goal scoring record at this level. Surprised so many are.

With his finishing and dead ball ability I doubt he''d do badly in the Premier League. If he was stronger and quicker he''d have been in the Premier League years ago. Certainly think he''s got the brain for it. As others have said, plenty of football ahead of him even if he won''t have huge sell on value a couple of years down the line.Our best shot at getting out of the league is to sign goals. He is goals.

Norwich definitely need another striker, if not two, even if Jerome repeats his tally of 21 Norwich are missing Johnson who scored 15, Grabban who scored 12 and Hooper who also scored 12.

Jerome was only a ''20 goal a season striker'' because of the extra play-off games.

I still wouldn''t spend £10m of McCormack though. He''s on big wages and it''s not like signing him suddenly propelled Fulham into the Premier League. Not to mention the fact I really can''t see him working in an AN team.

Spot on CBro.

As things stand we really have only Jerome as a credible striker as, quite rightly, RVW and Lafferty have never been in AN''s plans.

What on earth would we do if he got injured early in the season? You can''t expect the guy to play the whole season without injury, suspension or loss of form.

We need at least one striker, preferably two to supplement the decent squad we have in other areas.

'''' it''s not like signing him suddenly propelled Fulham into the Premier League. ''''He''s scored loads of goals in a really shit team. There were games for Fulham where he''d be doing everything, like Huckerby for us.Would be a frighting player with good support allowing him to just focus on scoring goals.

We do need one or two new strikers once we offload Lafferty etc but we won''t be missing Johnson, Grabban and Hooper this season, Bethnal. We have better quality than them now imho.

Of course it''s a risk.

All big money signings are a risk, and we know that to our cost.

However, it would be an inconsistency to run a football club with the aspirations of Norwich City without exposure to a constant amount of risk taking.

It is part of the package, what it''s all about.

I''m as involved as anybody with the financial plight of our Club and have always veered towards the conservative in this respect. I''m with the Prudential so to speak.

However, there comes a time, an opportunity when a degree of gambling seems appropriate, the rewards being so greatly balanced in it''s favour should it come off.

Now is that time. Strike before the iron goes cold. Grasp the mettle etc. etc.

Besides, we have cashed in on Redmond, might get a bit for one or two others and seem likely to hit the jackpot by selling Brady.

Are not our two potential seasons of parachute money likely to add up to over £70m? Haven''t we a few bob in the bank as it is?

Are we not well supported?

Are week not building up a nest-egg of young super-talent?

I''m, personally, prepared to bet heavily on our success with McCormack on board. Heavily. What more can be asked of a man?

Without a recognised goal-scorer in the squad before the season begins I just do not fancy our chances and my money stays in my pocket.

And the thought of relying upon Jerome, RVW and Lafferty as the main providers of goals next season would reduce me to tears.

I was being a little tongue in cheek with the Fulham comment. But he was brought in there for a huge sum of money and now they need to unload him as his wages are a burden on the team.

The reality is, McCormack doesn''t fit the AN model for a striker. He likes players who cover a lot of ground, press the centre backs, run the channels etc. The fact Mbokani didn''t do that is why he was in and out of the team so much, the fact Grabban did do that is why he was first choice for much of AN''s time at the club.

McCormack works best in a 2 striker formation, which AN has never deployed with Norwich. Also, I would say he is the definition of a Championship striker, good finisher but too small and too slow to impose himself in the Premier League.

Assambalonga fits the AN profile much more and that is why that rumour makes sense - the McCormack one just seems like paper talk.

For me it''s Assambalonga over McCormack. Ignoring the potential re-sale values Assambalonga fits the AN mould more than McCormack. There''s talk in the Midlands that £10m could be enough to get him, so even the price is cheaper than what''s being touted for McCormack....

I note that the bookies now have us as second favourites for promotion after Newcastle and just inside Villa.

They also have McCormack as second favourite highest goalscorer after Gayle.

Jerome is quite well fancied @ 20-1 though.

Assombalonga is between these.

I too would rather Assombalonga , on balance and feel that £10m would be a risk worth taking.

The risk with him is that he comes back the same player after his major injury. McCormack is probably the less instant risk, although with less long-term prospects.

I hope we take a chance with one of these.

Jerome. Lafferty, RVW????

Sometimes it''s riskier not to take a risk.

Can''t disagree Broadstairs. The biggest risk is not signing anyone. If we end up with McCormack instead of Assombalonga I''d still be pleased.

Interestingly Assombalonga scored the other day against Port Vale, tidy goal too...

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/07/20/video-britt-assombalonga-scores-superb-goal-in-nottingham-forest/

On the issue of absolutely needing one or two prolific strikers to get promoted, I cheekily chuck the following into the mix, with no particular comment or observation (I believe the modern vernacular is ''jus sayin'' or similar trite piffle to that effect). Middlesbrough secured the second automatic promotion spot last season; did anybody notice how many goals their top striker grabbed for them? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/middlesbrough/top-scorers
Looking at the number of goals scored beneath that I would say that the other members of the squad ''chipped in'' with a few goals between them without any of them being particularly...er...prolific.
Jus sa:-

I''m not disagreeing that a 20+ striker is not absolutely required for promotion in this league, particularly when you have a squad that really should be a step ahead of most.

However, Boro''s promotion last year with 63 for, 31 against, whilst being promoted from the second tier is the lowest for/ against stat for 15 years.

They''ve had a few years to put that defensive system in place, and we know that we''re a bit lame duck in that area. I''d prefer the security of a striker that can be relied on for 1/4 to 1/3 of our goals.

I''m guessing some of you saying McCormack is the type of striker who needs to be played in a two, doesn''t work for the team, cover a lot of ground or contribute to play simply haven''t seen him play much, or maybe caught him once on a bad day.

He''s really good with the ball at his feet! He takes defenders on, carries the ball forward well, is a good passer and likes a lot of the teams play to go through him. He''s kinda like a striker version of Snodgrass...and with a lot of the same failings such as selfishness, a lack of pace, holding on to the ball too long and slowing down play I''ll admit.

But those of you calling him a Hooper type striker just seem way off to me. He could easily fit in our system, Fulham''s best two players last year were their strikers so they had to accommodate the two of them, they didn''t play that way just to make up for McCormacks weaknesses.

Like I said before I''d pay it. He''s a big step up on what we have at the moment and we are desperate for another striker. He would guarantee goals if he stays injury free and would make other potential signings take notice of our ambition this year.

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]He''s kinda like a striker version of Snodgrass...and with a lot of the same failings such as selfishness, a lack of pace, holding on to the ball too long and slowing down play I''ll admit. [/quote]Definitely don''t want that combination again.........[:(]

That''s how I see McCormack too; a striker version of Snodgrass. Not very appealing. We need a bullying, smash & grab type to complement our other players. Assombalonga could be a better option if he''s available...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Norwich definitely need another striker, if not two, even if Jerome repeats his tally of 21 Norwich are missing Johnson who scored 15, Grabban who scored 12 and Hooper who also scored 12.

Jerome was only a ''20 goal a season striker'' because of the extra play-off games.

I still wouldn''t spend £10m of McCormack though. He''s on big wages and it''s not like signing him suddenly propelled Fulham into the Premier League. Not to mention the fact I really can''t see him working in an AN team.[/quote]
My point isn''t that we don''t need a striker - we obviously do.
But Jerome is constantly criticised on here like he''s an irrelevant part of our squad next season but even if we sign another I''d be surprised if whoever it is plays more than Jerome does for us.
And your caveat for why Jerome was a 20 goal a season striker is irrelevant. It''s like saying *enter players name* only scored in the FA Cup final because the team won the semi-final. He scored goals, that''s the point.
We''re not going to have another midfielder net 15 goals, however.