Sign in to follow this  

Crabby they built it during the season they got relegated from the prem so was empty for most of the season, last time we went there I sat in the top of it with my wolves mates who also think moxey wasn''t the problem, in fact they think he''s done a good job and is great for his work with local schools and the area, one thing they''re now worried about with this take over

Cheers DDD, I wondered why there were many open blocks (Top tier?), on show, but it was down to the indifference of the Wolves fans!

With respect to him, his work with Schools/local area isn''t something I will prioritize him over others.

I''m astonished that so many have such broad opinions on the guy - though I suppose wiki probably has as much to do with it as anything else. I know a few things, good and not so good, but isn''t that the case with all?

IMO we have certainly set out for a ''football'' person, and I doubt there''s many out there with more years under his belt than Moxey. Rather than character assassinating him, maybe we should consider that, as he''s held Wolves together all these years, perhaps he''s done ok. I certainly wouldn''t necessarily trust the opinions of Wolves fans.

Most midlands clubs really do show their happiness with their feet, if wolves were promoted next year the ground would be full every game but struggling in the Championship there are at least 10,000 empty seats each game unless against a rival, people have a lot less money and having a season ticket is a luxury

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Most midlands clubs really do show their happiness with their feet, if wolves were promoted next year the ground would be full every game but struggling in the Championship there are at least 10,000 empty seats each game unless against a rival, people have a lot less money and having a season ticket is a luxury[/quote] So yesterday people were falling over themselves bemoaning the fact that we aren''t Wolves and there''s no sign of a Chinese consortium itching to buy NCFC, and today they''re rubbishing the Wolves CEO who has overseen the takeover deal? 

I''ll give him the benefit of the doubt (coffee has helped 😉), and will reserve any apprehension until we see what he can do - I trust Delia et al to do the right thing and at the end of the day they are the ones who know the football business inside out, lets hope he''s a roaring success 👍

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"What was the full story over their new stand? Did it remain half built for a while, for some reason? If so, what role did Moxey play in that? (thinking money management etc)"

I sat in it once when they had McGarry as manager and Keelan got a nasty injury hitting against a post.

They had forgotten to move the pitch after the new stand was built and we were miles away from the action. The Hawthorns pitch was nearer.

That was well before Moxey''s time though, if we''re talking about the same stand.[/quote]The period of time you are talking about Broadstairs was when they turned the pitch 90 degrees during the development of the whole stadium. It was certainly a dump in those days.

Surely most of us would be happy with sixteen years of mediocrity followed by a Chinese take over?

Would rather have 16 years of excitement followed by a Chinese take away. Good luck to the bloke but I can understand people''s doubts, Wolves don''t seem to have done much during Moxey''s tenure, not all down to him obviously but he must have a huge say and for that reason his part to play doesn''t seem particularly inspiring in all honesty - the managerial appointments for Wolves have been a bit ''meh'' haven''t they? But as I say, will be delighted for him to prove our apprehension wrong 👍

[quote user="Alex "]Would rather have 16 years of excitement followed by a Chinese take away. Good luck to the bloke but I can understand people''s doubts, Wolves don''t seem to have done much during Moxey''s tenure, not all down to him obviously but he must have a huge say and for that reason his part to play doesn''t seem particularly inspiring in all honesty - the managerial appointments for Wolves have been a bit ''meh'' haven''t they? But as I say, will be delighted for him to prove our apprehension wrong[/quote]

Big Smile [:D] Big Smile [:D] Big Smile [:D] Big Smile [:D]

Previous Wolves owner Steve Morgan and Delia are pretty close friends. Seeing as McNally came from a recommendation from another friend, Hodgson, it wouldn''t be a massive surprise if the next CEO was also based on a personal recommendation.

It seems Archant might have a bit of inside information on this, but it seems perfectly natural that a CEO would step down after a takeover. I wonder if it is just a 2+2 situation.

If it is Moxley you''d expect an official announcement in the next few weeks now he is unemployed.

"Was that when the goal collapsed and fell on Keelan?"

Yes and it was a Wolves goal and the reason I remember it well was that Keelan seemed very seriously injured at the time whilst McGarry showed little concern, preferring to celebrate the goal ecstatically in front on the Wolves fans.

This stuck with me as a bad show.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Was that when the goal collapsed and fell on Keelan?"

Yes and it was a Wolves goal and the reason I remember it well was that Keelan seemed very seriously injured at the time whilst McGarry showed little concern, preferring to celebrate the goal ecstatically in front on the Wolves fans.

This stuck with me as a bad show.[/quote]

Yes, I remember, then there was the Muscat/ Bellamy incident now weve got Moxey.

Really bad if he is making us wait three months.

It''s just a job at the end of the day but I would have preferred somebody who has a passion for our club.

His history of appointing managers is very worrying and under his stewardship Wolves have been similar to us, often at the top end of the Championship but unable to make the step up to PL establishment. Saying that he does appear to tick a lot of boxes. If we were to get him I''d just pray it works out for AN for a good while yet as even before he''s set foot in the door I''m very warey of his ability to find a suitable manager

Bethnal G&Y wrote: "Previous Wolves owner Steve Morgan and Delia are pretty close friends. Seeing as McNally came from a recommendation from another friend, Hodgson, it wouldn''t be a massive surprise if the next CEO was also based on a personal recommendation."  
Correct me if I''m wrong, but it seems to me extremely unlikely that, having brought in highly rated head-hunters with particular experience in football to assist with this appointment, the board is going to then say "Thank you very much but we don''t need your expertise after all, we''ve found someone ourselves"! What seems to me much more likely, completely comprehensible and in fact what you would expect, is that the head-hunters have presented a short-list to the board, from which to make the final choice. If board members know someone whose judgement they respect with special insight into the qualities of candidates on the list, you would hope they would consult with them rather than make the final choice by closing their eyes and sticking pins randomly into the bit of paper in front of them.

Jez Moxey''s managerial appointments

Dave Jones

Glenn Hoddle

Mick McCarthy

Terry Connor

Stale Solbakken

Dean Saunders

Kenny Jacket

Doesn''t read well nor does the footballing position that he was leaving the club in before the Wolves takeover has come along, and the managerial appointments have got worse as time has gone on. Always been supportive of Delia et al but this would be a massive step backwards for the club.

WestCoastCanary;

It could be that the headhunters also recommend Moxley and with a close friend of Norwich''s owner also being a close friend of Moxley he is given that extra little boost over the line.

I didn''t suggest they would completely ignore the headhunter''s advice, but take personal recommendations into account also.

Punting Canary''

Out of the managers you listed I would only say Solbakken and Saunders were actual ''failures''. Terry Conner was just kept on as caretaker to the end of the season I seem to remember.

It''s also hard to say which of those managers were the choice of the owner and which was the choice of the CEO. Moxley might have argued against Solbakken, only to be shouted down.

Anyway, the fact he is staying on for another 3 months suggests to me he isn''t the man Norwich are looking to appoint.

Alex,

Not sure where the rouge ''l'' came from.

Personally I think it is hard to judge a CEO looking from the outside of a club. They often soak up a lot of blame from fans for things that are beyond their powers and a good CEO will put themselves in a position to take the criticism that should be aimed at the board.

It''s impossible to really know how good/bad he has been as we don''t know what decisions he has directly made or how the club would be fairing if he hadn''t been there..

I suspect fans will be disappointed with who ever is appointed as I don''t honestly know what they are expecting him/her to be able to show they have achieved. CEO work at football clubs is largely behind the scenes and unseen.

What Bethnal said......

Who would you all be happy with anyway? I must admit, there isn''t anyone who springs to mind. Can''t say as I had really heard much about McNally before his appointment, and that turned out ok!

[Y] Bethnal
Re. judging Moxey based on his time at Wolves, not only is forming a sound opinion difficult for the reasons you give, there is also the point that success or failure as a CEO in any organisation is never wholly a matter just of the individual''s ability but of fit between individual and organisation-at-the-time. The fact that Moxey''s record at Wolves doesn''t look stellar is no reason to write him off (any more than Paul Lambert''s stellar performance as manager at NCFC was a reason to expect the same at Villa). 

Sage counsel from Bethnal.

It might be noted that Moxey has been CEO for an extended period (some indication of competence), plus he has been party to dynasty handovers, internal and now external takeovers and investment, the development of a stadium and multiple promotions to and from the Premier League.

All of the above is at a club that has a number of comparable factors to Norwich City.

Parma

Wish I shared your enthusiasm. I know a number of level headed Wolves fans a number of whom have had personal dealings with him at the club, one of whom text me to say ''horrible man'' really hope you don''t appoint him. I also gather the staff at Wolves are delighted to get rid of him saying he was horrendous to work for and was happy to take the credit but never the flak. He has upset them again recently I gather by charging them a hunky booking fee on each ticket that is bought. I hope I am proved wrong but I fear he is a McNally type character but without his skills.

Punting Canary wrote the following post at 25/07/2016 7:30 PM:

Wish I shared your enthusiasm. I know a number of level headed Wolves fans a number of whom have had personal dealings with him at the club, one of whom text me to say ''horrible man'' really hope you don''t appoint him. I also gather the staff at Wolves are delighted to get rid of him saying he was horrendous to work for and was happy to take the credit but never the flak. He has upset them again recently I gather by charging them a hunky booking fee on each ticket that is bought. I hope I am proved wrong but I fear he is a McNally type character but without his skills.

Wait and see 😃