Sign in to follow this  
Robbo007

Why Nigel should stay.

I haven''t heard what Dicky as said, But i''d like to reply as someone who thinks Worthy should stay on.

Firstly, I''m not going to rant on about where we were when he took over, and what he''s done with the club, blah blah...but i''ll make some points as too why i believe he should stay.

• He has the trust of the players. In the past few years he has made some very astute signings, both long and short term. Why do you honestly think that messers Ashton, Huckerby, Bentley, Helveg etc, came to Norwich? I for one don''t believe its the "nice countryside" or the "top notch training facilities". Players warm to Nigel. How many clubs in a similar situation to us have such players wanting to join them?? I also feel there could be a mass exodus if Worthy departs.
  • He still has the backing of the majority of the fans. I''m going to make a controversial comment hear, but most of the anti Worthy fans are those who sit at home listening to Radio Norfolk. Who was at such drubbings such as Charlton, Blackburn, Villa, Fulham, and now Luton, Stoke....I was, and despite lacklustre performances, it was clear he still had the fans'' backing.
  • He has the backing of the board. Some may say this is not a reason for him to stay, but it is possibly the biggest reason for him to stay. Two of the most successful clubs of recent times are Charlton and Bolton, who have punched above their weight. Stability is the key to this. The board have a longterm vision, and Nigel is paramount to this
  • Dean Ashton. Nigel Brought him to the club. Nigel got him to sign an extension. Who honestly thinks he''ll stay if Nigel goes?! Ashton is worth more to Norwich than what he does on the field.
  • Finally, Norwich have shown, in parts, what they can do this season. Every club has problems when they first go down, and that doesn''t disclude us. We have played good stuff at times, we have had shocking injuries, players in poor form. But I trully believe we will still go up, under Nigel Worthingtons guidance.

Cheers Robbo and thanks for taking the time to male your views known - valid reasoning in much of what you say (although the boos for worthy at the luton, and only luton game suggest that it is hard to say where the majority sits - for or against worthy - its probably more finely balanced than ever but still in the keep worthy favour)  and I respect that.

I wouldnt go so far as to say its a ''fair assessment'' as such statements always have a bias one way or another - but it is a view from one side of the fence just as mine is from the other.

OTBC

At last someone who''s managed to write more than 1 line Congratulations to you man, fantastic work. And all points are valid which is all we''re looking for and can see you''re point of view so will consider this against my own opinions. Well done though

[quote]I haven''t heard what Dicky as said, But i''d like to reply as someone who thinks Worthy should stay on. Firstly, I''m not going to rant on about where we were when he took over, and what he''s done with...[/quote]

Robbo

I think that players have come to our club for a number of reasons, of course they will warm to Nigel, he wants them to come and for those not getting first team football, Norwich City is going to be an attractive propostion, and yes, the facilities and nice family area etc will play its part in the whole equation.  Hopefully too, they might think of Norwich as being a half decent team in which they can play a part and further their careers.  Also, they might know someone who can recommend Norwich, which in Dean''s case was Mark Rivers.

As to whether he has the backing of the majority of the fans, who can say.  It is not just those who shout loudly about something, whether anti or pro who are the only ones who care.  What sort of statistics could anyone rely on anyway?  In our own personal groups of friends, workmates, family I am sure opinion is divided, it is amongst those I know.

As to most of the anti Worthy feeling being R Norfolk listeners, sure, probably some are, but I was at most of the games you listed and am firmly in the anti Worthy camp, I do go to a lot of games and have done since Worthy has been in charge. I have to say after Tuesday I am not sure if he could really be said to have the majority of that particular crowd''s backing. 

At present, it would seem he has the backing of the board, whether this is simply because he would be too expensive to dispense with remains to be seen I guess, should results not improve.

As for Dean Ashton, sure he wants to stay here, I have heard him publically state this at a club forum.  If Worthy goes, why would Deano go, unless we had been relegated by then, ie the end of the season.  I am sure, like most of us, Dean would like to stay and for us to be successful.  Whether this is under Worthy or not also remains to be seen.

We have shown predominantly that we are not capable of winning this league and not a consistent side.  Yes, we have had injuries, but so have other teams, and some with far lesser players than us.  What problems we have had on relegation should have been addressed in the close season, ie building the squad again after numerous departures.  Worthy is still guilty of poor tactics, players out of position and not utilising our better players to their strengths.  These are traits that he had last season too. 

Finally Robbo, I would love to be proved wrong and for us to go up as champions again, but sadly I cannot see this happening, this season bears almost no resemblance to our last promotion triumph.  We have had a terrible start and it would take a breathtaking run to get us up there again.  I have yet to see any evidence this might happen. 

[quote]A pretty fair assessment robbo, however, prepare for some flak!!![/quote]

Top Avatar Morty - I am wearing that t-shirt whilst typing this and will be wearing it under the footy shirt at today''s game. 

Going back to the Luton game, how I saw it in regards to the crowd, in the first 15 minutes or so it was all good, and the common conception was that it was going to Brighton all over again. After the first goal went in, there was still a feeling we would win amongst the support. Greeno''s gaff knocked it out of both players and fans alike, and I personally blame Green''s total dissapearance of confidence for the other 2 goals (For god''s sake, this is Luton, not even Liverpool, or what he hopes in 6 months France!!).

At the end of the half, the team were booed off to the sounds of "what a load of rubbish", and when Worthy left the field "you don''t know what you are doing".

When the players returned there was muted applause. When Nigel returned there was initial disgruntment, followed by some general applause/encouragement. A decent second half performance occured, and at the final whistle the fans, and management were given a positive reception off the pitch.

Although I fully agree that there are a large number of people who thinks he''s taken the club as far as he can, I feel he will stay in the job until he loses the faith of the away support. At which time he has probably about 80% backing

Ta Dicky, I''ve been wanting to wear my ginger pele tee shirt to a game for a while but always wear my city shirt( and never wash it while we''re winning, I smelled pretty ripe in the Div 1 winning season!!) and being superstitious haven''t worn it yet, never thought of wearing it under my footy shirt, will try it at home game next week, if it works then it''s officially a lucky tee shirt and shall be worn to every game thereafter.  

[quote]I haven''t heard what Dicky as said, But i''d like to reply as someone who thinks Worthy should stay on. Firstly, I''m not going to rant on about where we were when he took over, and what he''s done with...[/quote]

Some very valid points -

*However, whilst he has the trust of some of the players there are equally some players that he probably doesn''t have the trust of. Further, we don''t know how attractive the contracts are that are offered to players to come to Norwich. I would doubt that a player would turn down a more lucrative contractive elsewhere just because he trusted Worthington - Hucks being the obvious exclusion :-)

• The dissent at halftime, fulltime, is getting more vociferous as the season progresses. I am not an advocate of booing during the match but I can fully understand why fans show their discontent at the end of the playing periods.
  • The most valid of your points is that currently the Board are backing Worthington. Whilst they continue to do so it doesn''t really matter how much frustration many of us feel as he won''t be going anywhere, given their backing.
  • It is not generally true that there is an exodus of players from a Club after a manager has been sacked because of their loyalty to the sacked manager.
  • Our periods of good play this season have been few and far between and far outweighed by our periods of poor play.

The fact remains that the "Worthington Supporters" are in the ascendancy primarily because he has the Board''s support. The "Worthington Out" camp has to live in hope that the board will eventually run out of patience with poor performances and poor results. Unfortunately that means for the "Worthington Out" camp to have their way we will probably have to suffer a continuance of dire performances and poor results with all the adverse effects that will have on the Club as a whole

LOL, i wondered who would be the first to resurface this post :-)

Can''t really defend anything from that performance. Players have to accept some responsibility though