Sign in to follow this  
Thisisbabyish

Youth vs Experience

So 10m starting point for McCormack looking like it will rise and a agreement reached around 13-15m.

13-15m for 20 goals a season but absolutely no resale value. I just don''t feel a club like us can afford to plough that sort of money into a player of that age.

If I had the choice which thank god I don''t I''d go all out and get someone younger even if it cost more.....someone like Danny Ings for 20m at 24 years old seems way less of a gamble.

Id even be inclined to go with a couple of youth signings to go with Jerome who I''m pretty confident can bag 15-20 this season.

Does anyone think we couldn''t get one of the following two or three for 15m?

Bamford, Solanke, Abraham, Wilson, Keane, Pritchard, Clough, Armstrong.

Wouldn''t be gutted with McCormack but would be with the price tag.......any thoughts? Old or Young?

Holty wasn''t exactly a spring chicken!

Ings would be a good marquee signing. Always impressed me, watched him while scouting a few times. Unlikely to come to Norwich though.

I would go for an experienced striker to lead the line whilst in the championship, someone like Martin Andreev Kamburov. Then reassess if we are promoted.

Let''s get this straight - apparently we and another side (Villa?) have had £10m bids turned down, Sheffield Weds apparently failed with £11m in January. Given the facts, it seems some supporters seem to think they know more than managers at several promotion candidates.....can these clubs really all be so wrong?

Not saying they are wrong you know you''ll get your 20 goals but for how long and then whats he worth?

Would Bamford get 20 goals in the champ? Probably. Would he cost 12m. Probably not. Would he be worth more than 12m if he does score goals. Definitely!

Danny Ings wont be dropping down to the championship obviously. Let''s get real. If he was available he would move to another prem side.

Obviously Ings wouldn''t come to us but there must be someone younger for 15-20m is the point I''m trying to make.

We could probably afford a few from the Barcelona youth squad for that sort of money.

I don''t understand how it is feasible for championship clubs to be spending £10m+ on a single player when the average turnover per club in the championship is around £20m!

In which reality does this make financial sense?

[quote user="mre2"]In which reality does this make financial sense?[/quote]None.What''s even worse is when you consider that if the figures being bandied round for McCormack are even vaguely accurate, we''d be paying more for him (at least over the initial season) than Man Utd are paying for Ibrahimovic!

The club''s aim is to get promoted this year at whatever cost, hence we''re not building for the future. We''re paying a lot for ''safe'', experienced players, but the trouble with this plan is that in the longer term we won''t be able to compete with richer clubs.Eventually our luck will run out and we''ll fail to get promoted. The team will then decline because we won''t even be able to afford to replace like for like.We need to keep building. Because every year we don''t do so, we fall further behind.

[quote user="Thisisbabyish"]Obviously Ings wouldn''t come to us but there must be someone younger for 15-20m is the point I''m trying to make.

We could probably afford a few from the Barcelona youth squad for that sort of money.[/quote]Poodling about in the Barcelona Youth Squad is a million miles away from playing, and being any good, in the Championship.

[quote user="93vintage"]The club''s aim is to get promoted this year at whatever cost, hence we''re not building for the future. We''re paying a lot for ''safe'', experienced players, but the trouble with this plan is that in the longer term we won''t be able to compete with richer clubs.Eventually our luck will run out and we''ll fail to get promoted. The team will then decline because we won''t even be able to afford to replace like for like.We need to keep building. Because every year we don''t do so, we fall further behind.[/quote]

Great post, that''s exactly it. We have fallen into, and perhaps have always taken the safe option.

Last season we had the chance to make marquee signings and really push. I suggested high profile players, the likes of dzecko, Pato and Barton. I predicted we would be relegated unless we took a calculated risk on signing players of this stature and caliber. Unfortunately my prediction became a reality.

As we''ve lost out premier league status we don''t have the option of top level players. I beleive it''s important to sign experienced work horses this year to fight us back into the tip flight - this season won''t be pretty, the players need to bite down hard on their gumsheilds (metaphorically speaking) and tough it out.

Bamford did absolutely nothing in his time at Norwich to suggest that we should be going for him at any level.

To suggest that you''d rather have someone completely unproven from ''barcelona youth academy'' or someone who has played 2 games for Chelsea instead of a player like mccormack is utterly delusional. Also, what makes you think an 18-19 year old would want to leave his country to play in the championship?

What difference does it make if the club spends 12 million. It actually makes no difference to the club or yourself other than saying ''well we spent 12 million on someone''

I think you''ve been playing a bit too much Football Manager kid.

[quote user="True Grit"][quote user="93vintage"]The club''s aim is to get promoted this year at whatever cost, hence we''re not building for the future. We''re paying a lot for ''safe'', experienced players, but the trouble with this plan is that in the longer term we won''t be able to compete with richer clubs.Eventually our luck will run out and we''ll fail to get promoted. The team will then decline because we won''t even be able to afford to replace like for like.We need to keep building. Because every year we don''t do so, we fall further behind.[/quote]

Great post, that''s exactly it. We have fallen into, and perhaps have always taken the safe option.

Last season we had the chance to make marquee signings and really push. I suggested high profile players, the likes of dzecko, Pato and Barton. I predicted we would be relegated unless we took a calculated risk on signing players of this stature and caliber. Unfortunately my prediction became a reality.

As we''ve lost out premier league status we don''t have the option of top level players. I beleive it''s important to sign experienced work horses this year to fight us back into the tip flight - this season won''t be pretty, the players need to bite down hard on their gumsheilds (metaphorically speaking) and tough it out.[/quote]

Dzeko would never go to Norwich, neither could we afford him.

Pato is past it, would never go to Norwich and we couldn''t afford him.

Barton is toxic. We would have been able to afford him but not the sort of player most of us would like at the club.

No to all three.

We''ve seen with Andre Gray at Burnley (£6m) and Rhodes at Middlesborough (£9m+) that a striker who is experienced at Championship level can be the difference between going up or not. Yes, Rhodes took a little while to settle, but he ended up with 6 goals to take them up.

AN saw enough of Bamford in 4 months last season to make up his mind about him - I don''t think he''ll be back anytime soon. Such a baffling situation - he caused us all sorts of problems in the game where Boro beat us at Carrow Road, but at Wembley (when he was injured) and in the loan spell here, he was hopeless.

[quote user="Mark Fotheringham City Legend"]

What difference does it make if the club spends 12 million. It actually makes no difference to the club or yourself other than saying ''well we spent 12 million on someone''

I think you''ve been playing a bit too much Football Manager kid.[/quote]I wish we''d have known that the amount of money spent made no difference to the club, if only we''d known that we''d have signed half the Barca side, a selection of the best players across the world, and when asked where the 1.3billion (or whatever it would cost to sign these players) is coming from, we could simply answer "It makes no difference to us, we just spent 1.3billion"...The fact that you think transfer fees are irrelevant and make no difference shows the rest of us exactly who the ''Kid'' is.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mark Fotheringham City Legend"]

I think you''ve been playing a bit too much Football Manager kid.[/quote]I wish we''d have known that the amount of money spent made no difference to the club, if only we''d known that we''d have signed half the Barca side, a selection of the best players across the world, and when asked where the 1.3billion (or whatever it would cost to sign these players) is coming from, we could simply answer "It makes no difference to us, we just spent 1.3billion"...The fact that you think transfer fees are irrelevant and make no difference shows the rest of us exactly who the ''Kid'' is.[/quote]

Good to see the point has gone completely over your head.

12 million is completely comparable to 1.6 billion so that is certainly a relevant critique on what i said. I''m sure those players would love to go to Norwich and FFP would not be an issue at all. Complete non-post and taking what i said out of context.

They are certainly irrelevant when comparing whether we sign a striker for 12 million or 7-8 million. 5 million pounds is not a lot of money for a club in our position.

Can you please tell me what relevance a 12 million fee has with no resale value than a 15 million fee with a potential resale value (with nothing guaranteed) as OP suggested.

[quote user="Mark Fotheringham City Legend"]Good to see the point has

gone completely over your head.[/quote]Not really, the fact that you''ve

now decided to change what you initially stated because you''ve been caught out isn''t my fault, nor does it mean I missed any point, because in fact, you appeared to have ZERO point in what you stated which was clearly:[quote]What difference does it make if the club spends 12 million. It actually

makes no difference to the club or yourself other than saying ''well we

spent 12 million on someone''[/quote]

I spoke about the club spending 12 million and stated that it was relatively unimportant. 12 million does make little difference in terms of the clubs finances or yourself. Which it is in reality. You compared this to spending 1.6 billion on the worlds best players...

If you think you''ve ''caught me out'' and you''re happy to have done so with your coherent argument then fair enough mate.