Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Will the first team line up start on Saturday?

Bit concerned we only have one friendly left and we''ve yet to play the full strength team together for any period in pre-season. I suppose that the fact we have not had a big change in personnel over the summer makes it less of a worry but surely the first choice back four need to get some minutes under their belt and the likes of Wes and Brady need more pre season game time.

Difficult to say. Had it not been for the euros we may have already seen our strongest 11 playing together.

I think bar a couple of positions the team pretty much picks itself. Presuming they''re all fit (and staying in Olsson''s case)RuddyPinto - Bennett - Klose - Olsson Howson - TetteyCanos or Jacob - Wes or Naismith - JoshJeromeHopefully we''ve added a couple more by then but who knows with Norwich.

hogesar wrote the following post at 27/07/2016 3:24 PM:

Difficult to say. Had it not been for the euros we may have already seen our strongest 11 playing together.

Spot on Hoggy

Ruddy

Whits Klose Bassong Olsson

Tettey Howson

Canos Hoolahan Naismith

Jerome

Easy picking for me, as long as they are all fit.

He''ll be looking to get those at the Euros some game time, so I''d expect Olsson and Wes to play and anyone who has a ''slight knock'' to sit out - which could be Klose, Jerome and Russ.

If Brady doesn''t feature at all, I think we can all draw our own conclusions...

Howson in midfield certainly but not as defensive midfielder. Mulumbu rather than Tettey who we have seen precious little.

Im looking forward to the game on Saturday, hope my Wessie plays and Klose too

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]I think bar a couple of positions the team pretty much picks itself. Presuming they''re all fit (and staying in Olsson''s case)[/quote]

Can''t agree with that.  The options across the squad look strong and to me a first eleven is not obvious.  Mulumbu and Dorrans, who did not feature very much last season are strong contenders this season. Maddison may have made a good enough impression to warrant a first team place, the Murphys too.   At the back any of the three centre backs could play with Klose and there could be a strong competition at right back too, not to mention the goalkeepers!  So to answer the op - imo there is no first team as such this season - the squad is the first team.

don''t want to pick an argument LDC, but wasn''t one of our problems last year that we never really had a settled first XI? There''s always going to be an injury or a suspension, but if we have a core of 8 or 9 ''regulars'' I think we''ll succeed.

For me our strongest ''first'' team would be:

Ruddy

Pinto Bennett Klose Olsson

Howson Tettey

Canos Naismith Wes

Jerome/New Striker

Answer for Mr Angry - yes I do think Brady will be gone soon, but even if not, he won''t be likely to play on Saturday in case he''s injured. We need the £15m more than we need him.

[quote user="Woodman"]don''t want to pick an argument LDC, but wasn''t one of our problems last year that we never really had a settled first XI? There''s always going to be an injury or a suspension, but if we have a core of 8 or 9 ''regulars'' I think we''ll succeed.

For me our strongest ''first'' team would be:

Ruddy

Pinto Bennett Klose Olsson

Howson Tettey

Canos Naismith Wes

Jerome/New Striker[/quote]

I agree that it''s good to have a core that remains the same, particularly the back 5 - and I like your line up there - but Dorrans and Mulumbu should be first team contenders at this level and the Murphys and Maddison look as if they are going to make an impact too.  Who knows, but it looks as if it is going to be exciting this season, given the Murphys look ready to step up and Canos and Maddison also looking good.  Plenty of flair there. 

With all the transfer activity what about this for a team.Ruddy, Klose, Pinto, Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Howson, Dibble, Grub, Jerome,