Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Charlton want Rudd on loan

Crabby, its simple, i dont know what you are talking about precursors for. McGovern came in and Kean went out. A club always needs 3 keepers, so letting Rudd go out on loan would mean us being 1 GK short, and with 1 City keeper already out on loan, i cant see a 2nd being allowed that.

I''d let him go out on loan, needs to be playing 1st team football. Essjayess, it''s simple, include a recall clause!

Under the loan rules, recalls can only happen in transfer windows. So if Norwich do let Rudd go out on loan there would be no chance of getting him back until January.

I think Norwich should either keep Rudd at the club and tell him he''s first choice, or just sell him and get a new 3rd choice in. Nothing to be gained by constantly loaning him out while his contract runs down.

It''s not that simple, AJ, as the loan rules have changed for this season, meaning you can only bring someone in during the two transfer windows, with emergency loans removed by FIFA. Why would a club take Rudd on loan from us if we then turned around in October after an injury and recalled him, leaving them without a ''keeper and no way of bringing in another for a couple of months?

I thought so too Woodman, but the other guys might be right - there''s a lot of changes for this season so wouldn''t surprise me if they have made it stricter.

If I remember rightly Newcastle had to play an inexperienced keeper against us as Krul and Harper (?) were injured, so perhaps it''s already tighter.

Rudd is at a major crossroads in his career now.

I very doubt he''s going to be number 1 this season. Barring any major disasters I think McGovern is going to get the gig full time eventually. This leaves Rudd with a stark choice - is he happy being 2nd or potentially 3rd choice or will he leave permanently to get first team football somewhere else?

I''d expect it to be the latter. It has to be really for the sake of his own career. Amazing to think that once upon a time we had Lewis, Rudd, Steer and Gunn within our youth ranks and I thought we wouldn''t need to buy a goalkeeper for years!

[quote user="Jacko"]Rudd is at a major crossroads in his career now.

I very doubt he''s going to be number 1 this season. Barring any major disasters I think McGovern is going to get the gig full time eventually. This leaves Rudd with a stark choice - is he happy being 2nd or potentially 3rd choice or will he leave permanently to get first team football somewhere else?

I''d expect it to be the latter. It has to be really for the sake of his own career. Amazing to think that once upon a time we had Lewis, Rudd, Steer and Gunn within our youth ranks and I thought we wouldn''t need to buy a goalkeeper for years![/quote]

Rudd could be number one gk - even with Ruddy and McGovern at the club - he has to take his chances though.  No great player ever complains about lack of opportunity - they simply make it happen and Rudd needs to make it happen.  The next time he gets the chance to be in the first team, whoever he is competing with, he has to make the shirt his own by making himself undroppable.  Tough for him last season the way results went and he had that error of judgement against Villa, but its tough at the top. This season he may get his chance again and this time he has to take it.  Still young enough to stay at Norwich and fight for his place over the next year or so, time is on his side.

i think Rudd needs a full season playing no.1 no point sitting on the bench or in the stands week in week out watching...send him to a club put a couple of clauses in, must start 20+ games this season and if we need him back then we do...I think the lad needs to mature a bit more and beef up a little and he will certainly be NCFCs no1 for years to come!

He had his whole season as number 1 when at Preston and did very well. He''s had his chance with us but seemingly he''s fighting a losing battle here with Ruddy and McGovern ahead of him.

Also, he''s in his mid 20''s now so all this talk of potential is waning. I feel it may be one where he needs to take a step back to then take 2 forward.

The problem we face is that he''s likely a lower championship/ upper league 1 keeper and the going rate for expenditure on goalies at that level is a few hundred thousand at best (look how much Bradford''s new keeper cost!). Therefore we don''t really get much by letting him go. I suppose it''s the problem Liverpool had with Canos to an extent.

Best thing we could do is let him go permanently for the going rate (say half a million) and slam a buyback fee of £2m in there just in case he becomes the next big thing and we find ourselves in need of a good keeper.

These constant loans and losing battles just aren''t going to help much and we have a few competent keepers in the youth set up that could step up as third choice if needed.

It''s a shame there''s no rules to actually make it an advantage to play the homegrown players but at the end of the day, you''ve got to treat them like they are any other member of the squad. It''s not like we''re in the champions league and need the home grown quota to be met!

I have to agree with your comments...there is a time when you have to say enough is enough your not making it to the level we need, sell him with the buy back in and reinvest in the next young gun! Even if we needed a third keeper this season i am sure we have one in the club or the option of a loan/emergency loan??

If he was regarded as future first choice we wouldn''t have bought McGovern to the club. Had a chance last season and didn''t do much wrong but neither did he strike me as a top flight goalkeeper.

I''d rather sell than continually loan him out. If at 25 he''s not deemed to be a challenger for the glove I really think he needs to move on and make a career for himself elsewhere.

Yer I agree. He''s a decent back up but we needed someone who can push Ruddy a bit more. Time to cash in.

I wasn''t aware that loan recalls were only allowed to take place in transfer windows as Bethnal points out, but this doesn''t come as too much of a surprise. Although the EFL and PL, before passing the new FIFA rules, were trying to arrange it so that there were still ways around it for emergency loans to take place and be recalled.

Sadly, the EFL website being as naff as it is, I can''t find the new set of regulations for this season, only the previous ones.

Either way, Rudd is at a crossroads now in his career. The last two Norwich youth ''keepers to leave have enjoyed mixed success: Steer never made it in the Villa side last year, while Angus Gunn could be getting match time for Man City this season.