Sign in to follow this  

Goodbye RvW

Shame it didnt work out, good luck to the man, we can now use his £45,000 a week salary on a striker who can actually score a goal and work for the team!!

@LDC

I think you''ve nailed the issue in your post there- football has changed. It is no longer the case that strikers are solely tasked with scoring goals. Strikers now need to be able to offer so much more and the duty for actually scoring is spread around the team. Having a great finisher is useful but if that finisher offers nothing else they will struggle.

I wish him all the luck in the world at Vitesse.  I, like many, wanted him to succeed here but it wasn''t to be.  I hope it''s different for him there.

RVW was a nice guy.. but it''s true Nice guys finish last.did we do enough research into him? He''d played in 2 shocking leagues and set the world alight in them. you could argue had he have done that in Spain/Germany/Italy he wouldn''t have been a Norwich player.his first pre season and debut goal showed a bit of promise but it really did go down hill form there. from being bullied out of the game by Hull''s centre half to the penalty against Villa (which incidentally I think he would have missed anyway).for me, my mind was made up about him very early on away at Spurs in that first season (Might have been before Villa). With us losing the game the goalkeeper comes out and misses a cross, the ball falls to RVW about 8 yards out.. it''s an open goal.. all he needs to do is shoot... he takes 3 touches, his first is so bad he needs the second to bring the ball under control, by then Danny Rose has closed him down enough that Ricky needs to shift the ball for the shot... he''s tackled.. chance gone.any top level striker would have smashed that first time...Ricky''s shoulders slumped.. and that was the end of his Norwich career as far as i''m concerned.. just 5 games in.5 managers gave him a chance at 3 different clubs.. Confidence, self belief, ability, pressure of the role.. whatever you call it.. The only person who could pick himself and get himself firing on all cylinders was Ricky himself.never going to be good enough... blame the scouts/management perhaps for not watching him enough or understanding the game in this country before bringing him into it.I wish him well back at Vitesse.. I''ll be surprised if we even made £1 million on the transfer.. the Dutch league is comparable with that of the Scottish Premiership. maybe RVW has finally found his level.

Good post Jas. Promising at the beginning and, as I pointed out at the time, Michael Owen was praising his movement in his early games. Confidence went, and a striker without confidence is always going to struggle.

Initially, his movement was very good, but he was never physical enough to survive in English football and he needed too much time for every chance.

But no way is he anywhere near the worst striker we''ve ever had. The most expensive; the biggest waste of money; the worst buy maybe. But not the worst striker by a long, long way.

Hughton bought him to play in a system he hadn''t designed, so I still blame him the most. A truly dreadful manager, right up there with Roeder.

FFS announce a new striker signing city; then we can finally end this obsession with Ricky

@ZLF

If the Becchio/Cody Mac/Jamie Cureton/Kyle Lafferty years have taught me anything it''s that the obsession never, ever ends.

If we have any form of struggles this season and he scores a goal someone will pop up to mention it and wonder if we should have kept him. If Jerome misses a couple of sitters someone will say ''Ricky would have scored AT LEAST one of those.''

So don''t get your hopes up.

[quote user="GJP"]Utterly ridiculous to call Hughton a dreadful manager.[/quote]

Certainly not a dreadful manager. Very effective in the Championship. However, his fear of playing football in the Premier League means it''s never going to be a particularly exciting watch.

Hes a guy that can finish if presented with time and space, but nothing else.

We can pick up any equivelant for less than 500k.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Anyone got any inkling, or even an educated guess, at the fee? Around the £1m mark, perhaps?Good luck Ricky, I hope Vitesse''s marketing department have got something special lined up for the club shop [:D][/quote]
I have it on good authority it could be closer to £2.
Best of luck Ricky, don''t score too many goals at Vitese.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="Feedthewolf"]Anyone got any inkling, or even an educated guess, at the fee? Around the £1m mark, perhaps?Good luck Ricky, I hope Vitesse''s marketing department have got something special lined up for the club shop [:D][/quote]
[/quote]£2m ? Might get that if he plays a hundred times for Holland and wins the World Cup.I''ll be amazed if we''ve got anywhere near £1m up front and the chance of any add-ons must be virtually nil.Truth is he was a drain on the wage bill so whatever we managed to wring out of Vitesse was a bonus.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="Feedthewolf"]Anyone got any inkling, or even an educated guess, at the fee? Around the £1m mark, perhaps?Good luck Ricky, I hope Vitesse''s marketing department have got something special lined up for the club shop [:D][/quote]
[/quote]£2m ? Might get that if he plays a hundred times for Holland and wins the World Cup.I''ll be amazed if we''ve got anywhere near £1m up front and the chance of any add-ons must be virtually nil.Truth is he was a drain on the wage bill so whatever we managed to wring out of Vitesse was a bonus.[/quote]
Was joking, apparently we got £510k for him.