Sign in to follow this  
Donkey dangler

Is this a repeat of the 2006 summer

During the summer of 2006 we only signed Lee Croft (the winger who often couldnt last a full game). Are we about to see a repeat (i.e few signings) or are we about to get the two proven strikers we badly need?

BTW. the manager back then was sacked in October 2006.

Is one thing going to happen, or something else, like in that other year when something happened?  Or not. [:|]

Is one thing going to happen, or something else, like in that other year when something happened? Or not. Indifferent [:|]

Like, maybe, or maybe not.

Maybe it''s a repeat of every other summer where some people wet their pants at the passing of each day without a new signing. Fact is, we don''t really need that much - we''ve a better squad, other than up front, than we were promoted with just last summer and I''m sure it''ll be addressed.

Didn''t some say that exact thing last season Branston, we ended up not addressing it until January and got relagated.

Spot on Indy. In hindsight, the pant wetters were well within their rights to be sloshing through their Tena pads after a summer of extreme inactivity.

To be pedantic, as is sometimes my wont, it wasn''t a summer of extreme inactivity, more a summer of unproductive activity.

Fair comment Nuff Said but ultimately it''s the same end result and that''s arguably what relegated us.

[quote user="Clint"]Spot on Indy. In hindsight, the pant wetters were well within their rights to be sloshing through their Tena pads after a summer of extreme inactivity.[/quote]

😀

The simple fact is that the same happens every summer, yet it was only last year that we were particularly wanting. It is as though people think every side in the country is just waiting to see who we want, and falling over themselves to do business. Clearly they aren''t. Fortunately we really don''t need that much this year, so it should all be sorted with one or two signings, ones that are most definitely being worked on.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]The simple fact is that the same happens every summer, [/quote]

It didnt happen when Lambert was our manager, we did a fair bit of our transfer signings early, not when the season was about to start.

One key difference already is that Canos has already shown that he can do more than run like a headless chicken down the wing...

We have a much greater budget than we did in 2006, so we cannot really compare. We have to remember we already have a very good and deep squad - any players we bring in need to be improvements and therefore will take a bit more time and money. Not having a permanent CEO in place probably isn''t helping proceedings either.

To be honest I think we only need 1 signing and we are as good as we can realistically be in this league. Get a decent striker to offer something different to Jerome and we have the basis of a team that on paper is too good for this league.

Obviously we all know it isn''t played on paper but that''s all we can do to prepare.

Provided that striker comes in, more important is keeping hold of Howson, klose and Brady.

I think this transfer season its about who we keep rather than who we sign!

To hear Klose is staying is great news.

The 20mill Price Tag Slapped on Brady will hopefully mean we either keep him or have good money for a replacement.

If we can hold on to Ollson and Howson then I''m happy.

Our current squad is more than sufficient for ripping up the Champs,

Only thing i''d like to see is either a new striker or a motivated RVW who must have an eye for goal somewhere... surely... right?

Indeed DD. With the lack of firepower in the team we are looking at mid-table medicroity at best. Surely, we''ve learnt something from last season''s fiasco?

[quote user="Highland Canary"]we are looking at mid-table medicroity at best.....[/quote]Well, that''s an optimistic view from you Highland, you''re normally predicting relegation. [Y]

Think we''ll finish mid-table, playoffs if we add goals to the team. At least last August''s omnishambles appears to be widely recognised. Perhaps, the club have a plan this time.

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 28/07/2016 6:59 AM:

Indeed DD. With the lack of firepower in the team we are looking at mid-table medicroity at best. Surely, we''ve learnt something from last season''s fiasco?

If we get the McCormack deal done then I can''t see anything other than a top 2 finish

Injuries are always a concern but I think we need a few signings and as we know if we do go up very few of our current crop are decent enough for the premier league.

But for a championship campaign we have solid top championship players.

Getting out of this league is so hard. Cannot under estimate it.