Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Going backwards

I posted the other day about worrying lack of signings, despite the club assuring us they would be getting them early this season, and despite the total debacle of last summer, yet was shouted down by the happy clappy crowd.

today I see we have hired Doomcaster #2 - a ceo clearly less impressive than the one we just lost, with less promotions to his name and a list of managerial appointments beyond underwhelming. Kenny jacket anyone?

Am I the only one who remembers how we were before bowkett and McNally and wants some answers as to how these were replaced with nice nephew Tom and ed flipping balls?!

So let us sum up the summer so far:

McNally out- Moxy in = worse

Bowkett out - Balls in = worse

Mbokani out - nobody in= worse

Hooper out - nobody in = worse

Redmond out - capot in= worse

Yes we are rumoured to be throwing money at an aged forward who doesn''t fit our style of play- but sorry still underwhelmed

Only positive is klose staying

I smell stagnation at the boardroom level- just lucky we have a good team because of recent years under the two who changed our clubs fortunes and just left frustrated. Miss promotion and I see it unraveling...my prediction (and I so hope I am wrong) is another decade in the wilderness unless we somehow go up this year.

Tin hat on and ready for the insults! Just sharing another post highlighting my fear that we are underachieving due to old guard at the top stifling opportunity after opportunity. Just look at how much better palace and others have done with promotion

I agree with practically none of this -

- Hooper left mid season, if anything he was replaced by Naismith which I consider an upgrade

- Balls has done nothing at all wrong so I can''t see him as worse by any measure.

- McNally had run his course, are you saying two relegations from the PL in 3 seasons suggests a good/working CEO? I personally think Moxey will be ok.

- Mbokani will surely be replaced, and he was hardly an amazing hit, I haven''t seen loads of top PL sides queuing up for him though that''s not to say they won''t

Hahaha this post is ridiculous. Hooper (who was carp) was replaced by Naismith who still has a lot to offer, Mbokani is OBVIOUSLY going to get replaced and I''d argue that I''d rather have McCormack or Assombalonga over him.

Also, who is Capot?

Dean Coneys boots - I used to enjoy your posts years ago pre user name change.

But your posts nowadays are a shadow of your former self

Brighten up - enjoy the football, no need for over analysis what will be will be

Although I''m still waiting to see what this new board will deliver, I''m not as concerned as that!

We needed to freshen things up, we have, as much as I agree that Bowkett and McNally have been replaced with IMO far less successful people, they are more inline with the owners requirements.

As for the squad, we do on paper have a very strong squad, good mix of youth and experience and will be there about come the end of the season.

I''m looking forward to start of the season, to leave this political shite at board level to those in power, we have absolutely no influence in that matter so no point in getting too bent out of shape.

[quote user="Paris aint German"]Irvine as coach?Upgrade

Spearing head scout? Upgrade

You''re forgetting these two important signings[/quote]Conveniently overlooked because they don''t fit in with the his nappy-soiling miserablism.

Did the club assure us they would be getting them (transfers) early this season? I remember them saying they had leant lessons from before. Have you got a link to that quote? Lessons have been learnt imo as the squad is in better shape than when we went down before, minus a striker which has been admitted.

Doomcaster #2 he is not. ''less (it''s fewer) promotions to his name''! Lol... 2 to the PL is the same and 1 from League 1 is the same. He''s also overseeing a large scale takeover (that so many on here are crying out for). Jackett got them out of League 1.

Anyway I''ll let you carry on predicting our miserable, doomed future... Ed balls wore than Bowkett? We don''t know yet.

Mbokani out, club targeting a new striker. Mbokani to be replaced by a striker that knows the championship more than likely, good plan imo.

Hooper out, Naismith in. Jury''s out but though not done it here yet, Naismith is a PL level player.

Redmond out, Canos in. Redmond has gone to a strong PL side...who exactly were we supposed to get that is better. We''ve replaced him with a promising, younger, similar player who''s already played in the championship and done very well for his age. Good piece of business. Another attention seeking sentence.

I''m duly obliging with the insults.. And the old guard as you say were the ones you surely remember hiring the men who changed our fortunes, though now are ''stifling opportunities''.

After everything that''s happened in the last decade, how can anyone predict 10 years in advance.

Being a happy clapper is so much more fulfilling than a pant wetting, over the top, attention seeking (this post virtually identical to the last) pessimist. Life''s too short.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Agree the coaching looks an improvement - so there is that. And not nappy soiling just not convinced we are going forwards or even standing still...[/quote]I guess it depends whether your glass is half full or half empty. I''m not totally convinced by our transfer window or our new CEO appointment, but happy to reserve judgement until it''s reasonable to assess the impact of both. It''s natural to question the status quo after we''ve been relegated, but at least it seems you can do it while listening to opposing points of view and without going to extremes. I retract the ''nappy soiling'' comment [:)]

Leeds Canary, you''re obviously more familiar with DCB''s past than I am, but since I''ve been in here he''s been a continually miserable fecker, never posting anything positive and revelling in the negative.

The fact that he''s writing off Canos and Moxey already says it all for me.

Club''s a joke, a tinpot plaything for a left wing Z list celebrity and her coterie of fawning, forelock tugging nobodies.

Sadly the usual suspects and inner circle will have you assassinated for starting this thread.

To the barricades!

If I have been negative of late then I guess that is frustration that opportunities seem to have been squandered. Last summers inactivity really hurt given that we almost invited relegation and seemed to have learnt nothing from the last one.

So, yes, I have serious questions of the board who I think are guilty of having looked gift horses in the mouth and who were just appalling last summer. Hopefully a few wins and I will be more positive - but this summer isn''t impressing me much. And that is all I was saying.

I think barring Newcastle nobody has a better squad than us. We didn''t need a massive overhaul of players because we have players who have been very successful in the championship recently.

Some exciting younger players to look forward to seeing like Canos and Maddison. And maybe this could be one of the Murphys time to shine.

Pinto, Klose, Olsson, Howson, Tettey are still at the club.

Naismith will do well in the champ.

Quite clearly we are in for a new striker and are willing to pay £10m+ for one.

seemas odd that the OP has chosen to make comparisons with many aspects of our current situation compared to last season barring one fundemental , all important factor........the standard of next seasons opposition.

even if nobody else were to leave or come in now , I''d expect a top 4 finish.......if we''re able to get a striker in who can get 20 goals i.e McCormack, I''d expect top 2.

we should be going into every game next season , with the possible exception of Newcastle away looking to win the game.

we''ll worry about if/how we improve on last seasons Premier League team "if " we get back there....for now I wouldnt swap our squad with anyone elses in this league

The situation looks pessimistic to me, but I''ll see how things play out rather than be overly critical. Lots of question marks about where the club is headed, I''d need to know about Ed Balls'' 10 year plan before coming to a firmer judgement.I don''t know what''s going on in the boardroom, but the snippets from Balls and Stone, plus the appointment of Delia''s mate as CEO, don''t give me cause for optimism.

I don''t have hard proof, but looking at Jez''s ample girth I''d guess that quite a few of Delia''s cookery books have been sent to Wolverhampton in the last 20 years. I''m starting to warm to the idea of Jez, I think he might come in and shake things up for the better.

I''m not convinced as to whether Moxey did a good job at Wolves or not. Clearly he did financially, which will have appealed to our board but Wolves have probably not reached their potential.

But highlighting the Kenny Jackett appointment as a reason to be unhappy is completely baffling. Jackett has yet to do a bad job in his 12 years of management since getting back into it, he''s won trophies at each of his 3 clubs, broken records at Wolves and each of the club''s have been in a higher division when he left than when he started. Not yet relegated at all. For me one of the most desirable English managers there is

Standard from the "head in the sand brigade". Let''s have a look at you logic.[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Did the club assure us they would be getting them (transfers) early this season? I remember them saying they had leant lessons from before. Have you got a link to that quote? Lessons have been learnt imo as the squad is in better shape than when we went down before, minus a striker which has been admitted.

Doomcaster #2 he is not. ''less (it''s fewer) [thanks for pointing that out, obviously a slight grammatical error invalidates the entire argument] promotions to his name''! Lol... 2 to the PL is the same and 1 from League 1 is the same [Jezzer was also incharge during the 2 relegations from the PL and the relegation to L1, but don''t let that pesky little truth get in the way of your opinion]. He''s also overseeing a large scale takeover (that so many on here are crying out for). Jackett got them out of League 1.

Anyway I''ll let you carry on predicting our miserable, doomed future... Ed balls wore [I believe you mean worse, not wore, your entire argument is now invalid lol] than Bowkett? We don''t know yet.

Mbokani out, club targeting a new striker. Mbokani to be replaced by a striker that knows the championship more than likely, good plan imo.

Hooper out, Naismith in. Jury''s out but though not done it here yet, Naismith is a PL level player.

[Pretty certain that Naismith is playing Championship football this season, making him a Championship footballer, along with the rest of the players in our first team squad. Last season they were Premier League players but over 38 games proved they weren''t good enough to stay there. As for Naismith being an upgrade on Hooper, apart from falling over and flailing his arms about a bit, he didn''t actually bring anything more to the team than what RVW did under Hootun]

Redmond out, Canos in. Redmond has gone to a strong PL side...who exactly were we supposed to get that is better. We''ve replaced him with a promising, younger, similar player who''s already played in the championship and done very well for his age. Good piece of business. [You pitch this as if Canos is going to be an upgrade, which is not a certainty] Another attention seeking sentence [Personal attack, opinion only and irrelevant to your argument. Are you part of Owen Smith''s Labour leadership campaign?].

I''m duly obliging with the insults.. And the old guard as you say were the ones you surely remember hiring the men who changed our fortunes, [and have been relegated twice from the PL in three years] though now are ''stifling opportunities''.

After everything that''s happened in the last decade, how can anyone predict 10 years in advance.

Being a happy clapper is so much more fulfilling than a pant wetting, over the top, attention seeking (this post virtually identical to the last) pessimist [Mere opinion with no empirical evidence to support your assertion, but I''ll take it into consideration. Though I think having a sense of reality rather than living in a world where everything is unicorns and rainbows may help you to deal with the inevitable disappointments that life will throw your way. But hey that''s just a differing opinion to yours friend]. Life''s too short.[/quote]

Maybe there is a  hangover from last season''s disappointment, but things have changed so don''t understand this op at all.  We appear to be moving forwards.  New chairman - Ed Balls is a great guy, CEO sorted - and he was successful at Stoke as well as a long tenure at Wolves. The coaching team looks excellent with the addition of Irvine.  The squad for this level looks very strong.  Reasons to be cheerfull! [<:o)]

It''s a time of change, that''s all. It has happened before and will again. In my view it was needed, I think the club need new ideas, new energy and a freshening up. As far as players are concerned I would prefer an upgrade to Bassong as my priority- stronger defence places less pressure on the forwards.

Too early to tell yet but I feel sort of content with where we are and I do think we have the basics of a decent squad with a good chance of promotion. Realistically I see a high/mid play off spot, McCormack or a CB may make the difference between that and an automatic.

My biggest fear? This will annoy many but I do think that so much depends on AN learning from last season. Many mistakes were made last time in my view and I am still not convinced by this "best young manager" thing. That will have far more bearing on where we finish than any changes in the playing staff.

We have been relegated to a lower and in doing so have lost our CEO and key player(s); that is naturally going to feel like we are going backwards - because we are and is an inescapable truth - as is losing star players. The thing is its entirely normal.

As other have pointed out there are positives; we have an championship experienced team and do not require large numbers of players, we have talent coming through having invested wisely and have added capable players for the league already. This in a transfer window that has barely started for any championship club. Unless other players leave we now only have one place needing filling, the glaringly obvious striker; it is patently clear we are working on this.

The CEO position is slightly out of the norm, however we have a capable caretaker in SS and have now appointed an experienced well regarded, if controversial to some, replacement.

No one can guaranteed the replacements will be a success any more than they are certain failures. There appears to be structure to what we are doing which is encouraging.

We are going backwards, but there are good reasons to think the right steps have been taken to turn things around. With determination and application it looks like we can expect a competetive and successful season.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]

Ed Balls- he has hardly been a roaring success in life decent bloke or not.[/quote]So, you consider becoming a front bench MP and chairman of a top football club failure?Perhaps you can list your achievements so we can compare. [:S]

Wow, thanks for the reply IBT...

A few things...

You didn''t answer the very first question in the very first sentence? I''m honoured you took time out to critique the rest of my post but couldn''t you answer the (very few) questions I actually posed?

The insinuation was of Moxey being Doomcaster #2 and I merely pointed out the more success he has had. Aside from the relegation to League 1, our dear beloved McNally has 2 delegations from the PL (part of the team that ''changed our fortunes).

You make a long, drawn out statement supposedly reminding me we (and therefore Naismith) are in the championship. I''m aware of that, that''s why the word "level" is in there. He''s played a fair bit of PL football and therefore I have concluded (unlike Hooper) he is a PL ''level'' player. My other comments are opinion, which is what this forum is for, right?

Re Canos... Again I asked a question not answered that was who were we supposed to get that is better than Redmond? The original insinuation being that losing Redmond and adding Canos was a step backwards. Followed by ''you pitch this as if adding Canos is an upgrade , which is not a certainty'' - I''m aware of that, thanks but I stand by my statement that Canos is promising, younger, similar and has already played in the championship. As opinions go that wasn''t exactly earth shattering was it?

How is me claiming someone is an attention seeker irrelevant to my argument? Please explain what my argument is then...? I was merely posting my frustrations around another thread of pessismism and unjustified critism of the club. My argument, if that''s what it is, is that too many posters are more concerned with putting the club down for their own self fulfilment (the attention seeking bit) than supporting the club or just waiting for some concrete evidence before wetting themselves.

The comments around the ''old guard'' were me simply pointing out the inaccuracies and contradictory statement in the OP.

Of course my final statement about my preference of being a happy clapper, is opinion! A lot of what I write is opinion! Also thanks for questioning my sense of reality, I''ll give it some thought during my unicorn lesson under the 5pm rainbow later.

Thanks for the timely reminder however, so I will just say football is something that takes me away from the ''inevitable disappointments'' of life. It''s one of the major reasons I love it so much and go to every home game. In an ever hectic and difficult day to day routine, I love that we all unite as one in our passion for the great club.

My ''reality'' is that which I posted in reply to the OP. I''m an optimist. It''s not going to directly affect my life either way. I''ll still have my days out at the football. Yes I want the club to succeed but that''s why I''m defending it in these posts. I may be completely wrong (though you''ve done absolutely nothing to change my mind of that) but as you say, it''s my opinion.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]On what basis is Moxey Delia''s mate? I''d never heard that one before.

In other news I sent you a pm 93v.[/quote]

Indirectly as Smith is good friends with Morgan so no doubt got to know Moxey too.

That aside Morgan is no doubt part to credit for Moxey to come here so why the total bull regarding Balls spin of using a headhunting company to look globally for the best candidate?

Still it''s done know and the dynamic duo of Moxey Balls know have control, let''s see where that takes us!