Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

New contracts / player sales

New contracts;

We seem to have made a clear intention to keep the squad largely together, despite Alex Neil''s earlier statements. What has surprised me is that we haven''t given Olsson and Bennett new deals. For me they would of been the first names over tettey and Jerome, let alone Whittaker and turner! Both who should of been sent packing in my view .

Do we think they have rejected / stalling? As both would be looked at by premier league teams? Anyone heard anything about these?

Selling;

An area we need to do more of. What are these consultants doing? We still have players who couldn''t get anywhere near the team last year - when we need to freshen up. As stated I would change the defence, but who has to go;

Vadis - hasn''t played really in 2 years. No point.

Mulumbu - 1 year left, big money. 4th choice mid at best. Maybe keep, if all the others go.

Andreu - never played.

Lafferty - ditto.

One of the 3 1st team keepers.

Now people might not care, but between them I wouldn''t be shocked if the wages didn''t add up to 60-80k per week, even despite the wage drop. Which is 3-4m a year!

The other sales are debatable but for me, we just have to sell the above as add no value at all to the first 18 (mulumbu could stay assuming all the others go).

The consultants have managed to offload Ricky and Vadis will be off this week it seems. If they were able to get someone interested in Mulumbu they would have to be considered geniuses.

The problem with selling players is someone has to be interested in buying them - and that someone has to be able to match their existing wages.

I just can''t see anyone who is able to afford Lafferty or Andreu wanting to take them. Probably go out on loan towards the end of the window, with Norwich having to subsidise their wages.

I assume Olsson and Bennett are stalling on their contracts, I expect Olsson to go before the window closes, probably for just a few million. He did the same to Blackburn I seem to remember.

Rumour has it that a German club are after Olsson now, not to mention West Ham, so not sure what''s happening with him. Bennett likewise, seems to have a few Prem teams interested. Would love it if we kept both, but I''m sure there''ll be one or two ''shock'' departures, and I''m sure one or two interesting incomings.

Didn''t Olsson nearly do the same to us last time around? He nearly joined someone right before the deadline but couldn''t get the contract sorted. I don''t expect him to be here past this season though.

Re new contracts it is a tough situation to be in- we''re a team of players with Premier League experience who won''t want to commit to more time in the Championship.

wasnt it WBA who wanted olsson but he didnt get there driving in the car on time ????

( dont think he really was that bothered about going to them seems a lame excuse )

and as for contracts whitts is a joke we have Pinto RM and Godfrey ? who has impressed play there in pre season

we saw on against hanover what whitts has to offer !

Godfrey is a centre back/midfielder who has a couple of decent performances in friendlies. He can''t be expected to play in the Champ, out of position.

Whittaker was excellent under AN in the Championship and more than good enough to back up Pinto. Much of the problems on Saturday came from Jacob not tracking back - which is why he was subbed off. I don''t buy AN''s explanation at all.

Oh christ the idea of Whittaker starting at left back gives me chest pains.

If Olsson goes we''ll need to bring someone in unless we somehow keep Brady.

Don''t see any problems with the contracts the club have extended out this summer. Jerome - Our only striker, good in this league and good enough for a Premier League squad. If we aren''t promoted this year and we let him leave next summer he''d quite possibly join a rival side on a free.Dorrans - Useful player that Neil trusts and clearly rates ahead of Mulumbu and Vadis. Tettey - Obviously happy with this, has been one of our best for years.Whittaker - One of the underrated players from our last season in the Champs. Probably backup to Pinto now but it saves needing to buy another right back on top of the probable left back/s, winger and forwards. If we can lose a couple more from the expensive deadwood pile (Laffery, Mulumbu, Turner, Andreu) I''d say it has been a pretty successful summer in terms of squad management of contracted players. Just need some signings now.

Overall it hasn''t been a bad summer so far, has it?

Offloaded RvW, and Vadis is on his way out on loan.

We had to let Redmond go but got some decent money for him and signed a potentially good replacement in Canos.

Extended contracts of some of our best and most experienced players in Tettey, Jerome, Whitts and Dorrans.

And we''re expecting to bring in a big money striker in the coming days.

The key after relegation always is to keep hold of your best players, and aside of Redmond, if Brady and Klose stay, we have done well.

]Overall it hasn''t been a bad summer so far, has it?

Offloaded RvW, and Vadis is on his way out on loan.

We had to let Redmond go but got some decent money for him and signed a potentially good replacement in Canos.

Extended contracts of some of our best and most experienced players in Tettey, Jerome, Whitts and Dorrans.

And we''re expecting to bring in a big money striker in the coming days.

The key after relegation always is to keep hold of your best players, and aside of Redmond, if Brady and Klose stay, we have done well.

I admire your optimism but I would question your logic

Surely extending the contracts of 5 players out and selling/releasing 2 of the 23 out of contract in a years time is limited progress. We have Bennett and Olsson out of contract q soon and that is a problem

Retaining Whittaker was not a good thing

We have certainly not kept Brady yet, the rumours are back on this week

The Redmond money which is about 11M I assume looked good at the time but the market has gone mental, Ibe 15M,??some liverpool guy to Bournemouth who has played less than 10 games up to 6M, Tomkins 10M??

So I think its a so so deal at best this Summer.

We lost 8M on Ricky, okay he is off the wages but not exactly a success.

2 Signings on August 1, this is on the rather meagre side