Sign in to follow this  
Liquidator

Blessing in Disguise?

Trying to put a positive spin on things, could losing out on McCormack be a blessing in disguise? We will be forced to sign someone else, which, from what we know will likely be Assombalonga who I hope we will now improve our bid for and get for 8-10 mill, leaving 2-4 to put towards another option? I don''t for a second think we will let the transfer window end with just Jerome and Lafferty and expect Lafferty to be gone and two more strikers to come in.

Assombalonga is likely cheaper, has MANY more years ahead of him and has an exceptional goalscoring record. His injury was bad, but he''s back fit now and there''s an injury risk with any player.

Just a thought.

I would have liked McCormack here, so will be disappointed to miss out, but if the fee of 12 or 15 mil is correct then it''s crazy money for a 30-year old with no top flight experience.

My concern is whether we have made any progress with other targets - important to get someone in this week really.

What is it with people moaning McCormack is too old etc etc. That''s the going rate for a player who regularly bangs in goals in the championship. If villa sign him they will go up. Goal scorers win you games not defenders. He''s worth every penny. Consistent. How many players play do their job consistently well season in season out?? Not many. Should have had this transfer sewn up by now. We are a joke. Jerome will do ok but as it stands all the goal scoring burden will pretty much be on his shoulders. Yes we could sign someone this window but we need them by Saturday. We

May well be 3 weeks into the season before this materialises which could cost us big time. We are floundering in the transfer window yet again and this won''t change until we acquire new ownership with more money and investment. But we should be used to this by now. It''s all part of being little old Norwich. We have always lacked ambition it''s just the way it is.

Total blessing. Why would we have wanted the highest scoring forward in the league with 66 goals in 3 seasons up front? Thankfully it looks like we''ve missed out and can go with Jerome and Naismith.

It''s never a blessing missing out on the managers first choice targets.

Especially as he''s moving to a promotion rival. It''s a double blow in my opinion.

We''ve got it all to do now in the transfer market

Its far from a blessing in disguise, I cant see why so many are worried about sell on value etc. We desperately needed a proven striker NOW not someone who would have a good sell on value BUT could take time to settle in and score regularly. Sadly proven goal scorers cost money and once again we fell short ,and will probably fall short of promotion.

We have to get a striker in otherwise our chances of going up will be very severely damaged, if not extinguished completely. AN wanted RM so not it cannot be a blessing that we''ve missed out. I fervently hope we have a plan B somewhere but it''s all been quiet other than RM

[quote user="JF"]Total blessing. Why would we have wanted the highest scoring forward in the league with 66 goals in 3 seasons up front? Thankfully it looks like we''ve missed out and can go with Jerome and Naismith.[/quote]Interesting to note though - that for one year out of those 3 you mention - Jerome and McCormick were in the same league. Who do you think scored more goals?And they''re the same age.How would you feel if we were bidding £10m-£12m on Cameron Jerome?I personally think we''d be better with Assombalonga, as long as we can get that deal done.

We could not get Assombalonga, Forest''s price for him from Posh was 8 million including add ons. Even 12 million would not buy him in todays market, so forget him. Kodjia to, same applies to him. Villa with all their money already tried this route, thats why they came back in for McCormack. Simply put, Alex needs to go outside the Champs to find a striker. And since Alex  joined City, his record of trying to permanently sign a striker, any striker, is not good. Afobe...Gayle...McCormack...shows how hard it is.

As I said on another McCormack thread (there seems to be a lot of them):

Though I''m not happy and certainly not clapping, I do think we may be over reacting to this. I assume we had a top price beyond which we were not prepared to go, which seems to be £12m including add-ons. Some are saying we should match or exceed the £14m including add-ons that Villa are reportedly paying. Much as I hoped we''d get McCormack, I don''t agree with the ''pay the going price'' argument. If McCormack helps Villa achieve promotion then it will have been worth it, but if he doesn''t? He has failed to do that with Fulham for the past two years and with Leeds the years before that. That was my concern about paying that much for a 30 year old who is already past his prime (usually considered 26-29) and won''t have any sell on value. IMO, it''s a desperate gamble by Villa and would have been the same for us, especially with so many older players already. The test will be what happens now with 4 weeks left in the window