Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

McCormack wants to join us and fee agreed with fulham

I suspect our style of play may be very slightly different - I know you can''t judge a friendly but my takeaway from Coventry game was that an injection of youth and pace is the aim making us dangerous on the break.

To give an example, Murphy''s goal was him breaking the defensive line and a good pass from Maddison. Understand it was friendly against league one side but it did hint at the approach we may adopt for the upcoming season.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Would seem odd to make Norwich a team good playing on the break, when most clubs coming to Carrow Road this season will sit back and be happy with a draw.[/quote] Indeed, but maybe a lesson has been learned from our recent successive failures to stay in the EPL once having got there. We need to be able to get back up but with a team and playing style that better equips us to survive.

I don''t think Norwich have the luxury of being significantly better than everyone in the Championship to play a style that isn''t entirely focused on getting them out of this league.

Get promoted and then worry about adapting the style to something more counter attacking. Which, incidentally, is what Eddie Howe did at Bournemouth.

Also, players like Afobe and Gayle would have been more suited to counter attacking football than McCormack anyway. Don''t think much can be read into the Coventry game as AN was resting most of the first team players after the Rubin Kazan friendly.

This looks the bad side of AN he buys a player for a position

not to fit the style of play of the team he buys to fills holes !

we saw this last season 4 right backs crying out for a CB and another striker and he uses 4 rightbacks ! Crazy

i have said this many times on here i doubt AN is the man to build a Real team here needed far more experience

Its all very well debating the merits of McCormack fitting into the team and if Alex has indeed the right guy or not, point is right now hes not a City player, and we only have Jerome and Laffs left as senior strikers with the season just a week away. An injury to CamJam in the 1st game and goodness knows what would happen. By all accounts McCormack has had zero playing time in pre season, may even be injured so miss the start of the season, and now City are pooping around with an odd million or two while the clock ticks away.Considering how long ago the Prem season ended, and that the striking area was  the definite area needed for imporovement, just dont understand how once again a summer window goes by and City leave it late. Feels a bit like RVW, with a few making every excuse for why the guy couldnt get it right. Anyway, cmon City, either get this done now or walk away.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]That is what many, including myself, have been saying. There doesn''t seem to be a place for McCormack in the current formations Alex Neil like to use. Unless he is planning on putting McCormack in the role Naismith/Wes play. Which doesn''t address Norwich''s chronic lack of strikers.[/quote]Why is it that you can point this out and everyone''s happy to go with it, but when I do I get jumped all over instead???

I''m not particularly ok with it - surely AN has an idea what he wants to do if he''s trying to commit us to our biggest ever transfer. Can we not trust that he might know what he''s doing?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]That is what many, including myself, have been saying. There doesn''t seem to be a place for McCormack in the current formations Alex Neil like to use. Unless he is planning on putting McCormack in the role Naismith/Wes play. Which doesn''t address Norwich''s chronic lack of strikers.[/quote]Why is it that you can point this out and everyone''s happy to go with it, but when I do I get jumped all over instead???[/quote]Someone has to break it to you IB. We all had a meeting when you weren''t looking and you have been elected as the new LDC.

Plus BYG is clearly one of the more knowledgable posters on here. You insist that RVW was just unlucky and still has the potential to be a good player. QED.

I would have more faith Branston if there was more evidence AN''s other transfers were working to a set plan. Mbokani was a good player, but obviously not the type of striker AN likes, he often criticised him for not working hard enough. In retrospect Naismith also looks odd, he was stuck out on the wing on more than one occasion which really isn''t his game.

Why did AN but Andreu when Norwich really didn''t need him? And Dorrans was also a little confusing as he wasn''t an improvement on the existing players at the club.

I hope there is some grand scheme but on recent evidence I''m really not sure. Very much looking forward to AN proving me wrong of course.

Not seeing the problem myself. Ross offers a lot more than just goals. Naismith will push up and even make runs beyond him. We have aggressive wingers so there will be no lack of support. He''s a goalscorer and will score goals.

There are 46 games this season plus cups (so 48...)

There will be chances to use all the front players if McCormack joins. I''d imagine in some ways he will replace the job Grabban and Hooper did for us. I wouldn''t be surprised if we get another striker towards the end of the window once we''ve had a good look at how well Morris has progressed and decided what to do with him.

There''ll even probably be times we go 3 up front when chasing points so having Naismith, Wes, Jerome and McCormack all on the pitch at the same time is quite possible.

Seems we are still bidding under £12 million , what is the point when they have said they are not going to sell for under that amount . One week to kick off and no decent striker in the squad , time to move on to other targets if we actually have any and stop messing Fulham around .

It''s called negotiation - it goes on: for example, if I have a house for sale at £500k, chances are I would settle for a bit less. We have to find what they''ll settle for and whether we can afford it. £12m is a hell of a lot of cash.

CanaryOne - Bit harsh to say we haven''t got a decent striker. At this level, Jerome is a very capable striker, as he proved last time we were down here. He might not be good enough for the Prem, but he is certainly decent at this level.

i would rather we spent the 12 million on 4 x players like canos than all on one player like McCormack

i also can not see where he fits in the team

i would not drop wes for him

or jerome in this league or naismith

so we are spending 12 mil on a super sub ?

Expect it''d be Jerome moving to the squad player role. Plan A would almost certainly be a more technical/passing game as opposed to hitting the physical player. Much more suited to the midfield. Also probably better for breaking down packed defences at CR.

What makes me laugh is that Jerome is the same age, played at a higher level, as good strike rate at this level and yet who on here would believe any club would pay £12 million for him?

McCormack is so overpriced it''s a crime if we did buy him!

As others said there''s better value out there!

so dropping a player who scored 21 goals his last season in champs ,

And changing the style of play to suit a player who costs 12 million who scored 23 goals in his last champs season

why not sign a player who can play in our style of play ?

Variety is the spice of life.I think Neil wants to play the more technical attacking game. We just couldn''t with the players we had.As I said before, it''ll probably be better for facing the packed defences too.Jerome would command that sort of fee if he had consistently scored that many goals. If he was in demand and on a long contract his fee would be big now too.

You keep saying there is better value out there. Who? Not another hit or miss foreign striker who is good on a computer game, who is there proven in the mayhem that is the Championship.

Not having that, McCormack has only played championship and scored 116 goals in 320 odd appearances, Jerome played at a higher level more seasons Premiership and bagged 90 odd goals in 360 odd games, not as prolific but much better level.

Jerome is better than McCormack, so why this love for a very overrated player?

I''d be very happy to see this one go bye........

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]You keep saying there is better value out there. Who? Not another hit or miss foreign striker who is good on a computer game, who is there proven in the mayhem that is the Championship.[/quote]

That''s why we pay huge wages to scouts!

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]You keep saying there is better value out there. Who? Not another hit or miss foreign striker who is good on a computer game, who is there proven in the mayhem that is the Championship.[/quote]

That''s why we pay huge wages to scouts![/quote]

So you can''t think of them either. I thought you knew there was better value out there. Names

KeiranShikari, I find that argument quite convincing. There are going to be a lot of teams parking the bus against us this season, so I can imagine a Wes/ Naismith/ McCormack approach might be more fruitful against such tactics.

Jerome can still be extremely effective though, especially in more open, counter attacking conditions. He is not just a big, quick lump though, as his link up with Naismith showed against Rubin Kazan. But generally this is the area where I would expect McCormack to shine.

So, yes, perhaps he could be the man we need to complete the team after all. And if it does bring promotion then his fee really is irrelevant.