Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

McCormack wants to join us and fee agreed with fulham

I''d assume (and hope) that there will be a lot of performance related aspects to the fee- ie a big chunk if we get promoted, if he scores a certain amount of goals, if we stay up after promotion etc etc.

I agree with chemical cal, it could be £10 m with add one if we''re promoted. There''s a lot of guesswork going on at the moment

As I said, I think McCormack is a very good player who I''m sure would have at least 2 good seasons for us. My concern is that not only is £15m a huge outlay, but as others have said he will command a significant chunk of the wage budget. He recently signed a new deal with Fulham until 2020, therefore it is reasonably safe to say he won''t sign anything under a 4 year contract for us (I also doubt he would take a pay cut). This will keep him earning big money at Carrow Road until he is nearly 34.

Obviously if we get promoted pronto and stay there, this isn''t a big issue and we are all laughing. My concern is more for if we don''t get promoted in the immediate future, and he fades at 32/33 then we are stuck with a huge investment eating up the cash reserves and at an age where no one will take a punt on him. Signing a top striker is no guarantee of promotion, as Blackburn and Fulham can attest to, if it was I''d be 100% behind this transfer rather than 65%.

We need quality up front and both Assombalonga and McCormack could provide it, but both come with different risks and benefits. It is of my opinion that Assombalonga is the less risky, but I will be incredibly excited by, and will get fully behind whoever we sign.

(That said, I wasn''t aware of all the behind the scenes stuff going on at Forest. The rumors have also quietened up on the Assombalonga front)

"Why won''t we spend!"

"Don''t spend that much!"

Lol, love it!

I think £15m is way, way wide of the mark.

All of the sources I''ve read (of course most taken with a pinch of salt) has mentioned £9m fee + add ons, which is much more realistic.

TBH, I can''t recall ever having seen him play? What "type" of striker is he - will he fit into Alex Neil''s preferred pattern with very mobile hard-working striker?

He played for Fulham, here, at the end of a season, and just wasn''t very effective that day.

I won''t judge him on that day, as it was a non game from Fulham''s point of view

"There''s a number of players been here for a number of years. We''ve got a

team that''s getting older so it''s just whether we deem we need to

freshen it up
, how much we need to freshen it up, and if we''ve got

resources available to us.
"

so, after talking about our aging squad, alex neil has decided to add a heavily overpriced 30 year old championship journeyman to it ?

great :/

[quote user=" Badger"]TBH, I can''t recall ever having seen him play? What "type" of striker is he - will he fit into Alex Neil''s preferred pattern with very mobile hard-working striker?[/quote]He''s actually a lot like Naismith tbh, hard working, decent first touch, not too slow but not lightning quick either.He certainly has the energy and work rate that AN loves so much, but as for fitting the current pattern - no, unless AN plays him instead of Wes in the No10 position. He is certainly not a Jerome/Mbokani type striker who plays with their back to goal and uses strength, height and physicality to hold the ball up for others, which is why I''m confused as hell why we''re apparently interested.

Pull this deal off and with our current squad probably minus Brady I would expect us to finish top 2. Let''s hope they get the deal done

I don''t see the issue - he''s undoubtedly one of the top, proven, current Championship strikers, so if we can get him it is definitely worthwhile; he''s 29 and not been injury prone so could have a good number of seasons left.

As for the ages of players, we''ll have a plenty young enough squad - Maddison and Canos are new signings, along with the Murphy boys and the likes of Toffollo, Godfrey etc. Just because he said he wants a younger squad doesn''t mean they all have to be u21, and if AN feels McCormack is the guy we need that''s fine by me.

I admit to having mixed feelings re this - especially after Indy''s comments. But I suppose, ultimately we have to go with Branston - IF this is a player that we are interested in and AN thinks is right for us, we have to trust his judgement.I certaily wouldn''t be upset if it was all media hype though and we were never interested at all!

This forum baffles me.

We''re apparently on the verge of signing the biggest hitman in the championship but people aren''t happy.

People would rather we signed another number 9 to sit on the bench behind Jerome.

Baffled

The big critism on the fulham forum Is that they have to play two strikers when he plays, so anyone thinking he is going to play as a lone striker probably ought to think again. Admittedly gives us an option but 10m (surely we arnt stupid enough to pay 15) or however much for a plan B when Plan A probably needs work is nuts.

i would argue the amount of money + his age + a the fact hes a player whose never played top flight football is why its a bad idea

generally players that are good enough have been given a chance at the top if theyve demonstrated it at his age, no ones offered that, which makes me question why

if the figure being talked about is even slightly true its insane, string chance we could get both assombalonga and wells for that money

£15m fee + Â£50k per year x 4 years + 30 year old + 4 4 2 + we are in championship (not Premiership) = accident waiting to happen

Massive risk on our part. If things don''t go our way, we could end up a club scratching around, trading players just to bring in Elliot Bennett cos we can''t afford/raise Â£250k 

£15m fee + £50k per year x 4 years + 30 year old + 4 4 2 + we are in championship (not Premiership) = accident waiting to happen.

Massive risk on our part. If things don''t go our way, we could end up a club scratching around, trading players just to bring in Elliot Bennett cos we can''t afford/raise £250k

The £15M fee and £50k wages are only what is being quoted on here, both total speculation. The final figures we will probably never know for sure.

As for the man himself, the only fly in the ointment is his age, but as I seem to recall a certain Iwan Roberts was pretty much the same age, and I would love to see any new signing do for city what Iwan did.

I agree with Daz, if he can produce what Iwan did for us , I would want us to sign him! But all speculation...we''re just hoping for a player to come in that will score and get us promotion...logical ain''t it :-)

£50k a week 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Not a chance.

Yes Cantiaci , I am asking myself the same thing, all these rumours but nothing seems to get sealed does it?

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]When will we get this over the line???

I wonder how close we actually are to sealing things?[/quote]Hopefully not at all, and a million miles away.Undoubtedly a good player and a proven goalscorer at this level, but appears to be massively overpriced, and doesn''t fit into AN''s preferred setup and style of play (unless we drop Wes/Naismith from the no10 position or play 2 upfront).

It''s quite clearly a gamble whatever deal we work out. We can mitigate some of it with installments and bonuses but there is no real resale value likely to be had here. It is basically throwing money at the situation.

What we have to think is how this will realistically affect our promotion chances and the risk/reward of potential outcomes.

Say we are 30% likely to go up in the next 2 seasons without mccormack, would him joining push that to 50%? Would the extra 20% be worth the gamble? Would there be other cheaper players out there who maybe leave us at 45%?

If we go for him it''s clear the board is gambling on now and if it goes wrong I can see us settling at this level with our fairly reliable youth set up. That''d be £20m gone but we gave it a good go and one robbie Brady deal can close that gap.

If we don''t bother and get someone say similar level to Jerome then I think we are hedging our bets somewhat. Not to say we can''t still go up but it becomes harder and keeping players like klose becomes more pointless if we are thinking about regrouping long term.

I think because of all that and the fact we now have a good youth to fall back on, the deal makes a lot of sense so long as some of the gamble is offset by some bonus structuring even if it means we pay more overall if we get promoted.

[quote user="curious yellow"]Fulham now said to want Bamford. Wouldn''t it be best for us to have Bamford, on loan maybe, risk decreased and money saved. Sorted.[/quote]Bamford showed us nothing, is an even worse gamble than McCormack and imo that''s bad enough.

i find it hard to believe if we scoured Europe / world football

we could not get a younger better striker for 15 million or even less !

we are aiming for the premiership we need someone who at least we can play in the champs and develop into a EPL striker

McMormack has no resale value and is unproven in EPL why take the gamble for 15 mil ?

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="curious yellow"]Fulham now said to want Bamford. Wouldn''t it be best for us to have Bamford, on loan maybe, risk decreased and money saved. Sorted.[/quote]Bamford showed us nothing, is an even worse gamble than McCormack and imo that''s bad enough.[/quote]

Not if he comes on loan.

Bamford, McCormack and Jerome all have similar records in the championship. McCormack is the shortest and the least mobile, he''ll be 30 in 3 weeks.