Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

McCormack wants to join us and fee agreed with fulham

If Barclay''s tweet above is accurate it just shows the risk you take when you allow a transfer to drag on in the way we have. They were after the Bristol City striker and now they''ve missed out on him I would wager that they will look to match our bid and outdo us on how much is paid up front/instalments etc. I believe that is what has been holding things up and that we are probably not offering enough up front because we will be wanting to link payments to receipt of our parachute payments. Clubs with backers are not quite so constrained.

Personally I think it would be a huge error to miss out on our number 1 target and allow a rival to strengthen at the same time IF it transpires that Fulham are not holding out for a ridiculous fee.

£15m?! Screw that! Play Carlton Morris up front and be done with it. Some prem side will over buy and be desperate to offload some decent striker on deadline day anyway. Maybe someone like fraizer Campbell will be better value.

I am inclined to agree TJ. Would rather we went back in for Walters than pay 15m for McCormack. Oumar Niasse anyone? Surplus to requirements at Everton by all accounts now Koeman has taken over. Arouna Kone?

That''s all ifs and buts though. We can''t carry on into the season with the striking options we have just hoping a PL side might just dispose of someone who we can snap up.

Jerome as we all know if more than competent at this level. He needs help though, and if you have to allow for injury/suspensions/lack of form.

Lafferty isn''t good enough plain and simple. Everyone with half a brain cell knows it. He wasn''t good enough for Birmingham last season, they soon realised it too. He wasn''t good enough for a poor Turkish side and he wasn''t good enough for NI, who quickly disposed of him for Washington.

And Morris, with all respect to him, has only played youth football and SPL, which is on a par with League 1 and 2.

With a deal until 2020 the club hold all the aces on this one; terms of payments (cash in hand?) will be as important as the headline fee - but I have no doubt they will be playing two parachute payments clubs off against each other to maximise the fee.

I do think the shared agent means we are preferred destination for the player, but he cant dictate this one.

Under adams we didnt sign Jerome until late august having grabban and hooper as options. Not so different to now. Plenty of time yet; better to by right than panic buy sh!te

might be nothing to do with shared agents

might be down to style of play (will he get chances here )

manager who he thinks / heard is better

wages

area to live big city or countryside

depends on the player for those questions which answer you get

ZLF: "I do think the shared agent means we are preferred destination for the player, but he cant dictate this one."

Agent shared with whom? sorry, can''t find the reference.

(Transfermarkt suggests Mark Fotheringham and Leroy Lita but suspect they are not who people are referring to....)

Apparently he shares an agent with Alex Neil.

Whatever you think of McCormack, if he ends up at Villa (one of our main promotion rivals) having clearly been our main target all summer it will be difficult to see it as anything other than a major fuck up.

It would only a f*** up if Norwich and Villa both were offering the same fee. Even then, I think it is fair to say many players would judge Villa to be a ''bigger'' club than Norwich.

If Villa want to pay £15m for him then Godspeed to them. There is no way Norwich should break the bank for him.

People keep saying "If Norwich aren''t going to pay they should just move on". The chances are if this £15m price tag is true they probably have moved on and are looking at plan B, C and D right now.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]odds now 4/6 to join villa

think we are wasting time on this one[/quote]

what are the odds on him joining us?

Milan Cerny, another great young prospect and for less than £10 million would be a far better signing......would he come? Had the pleasure of watching him play last year, fantastic talent.

Plan B,C and D. What these were last season was to wait until last minute and fail to sign anyone. A pathetic excuse fotr transfer planning. Has Spearing actually had any input?

@Bethnal

Disagree. We''ve spent a large chunk of the summer chasing him. If Villa turn up later, make it happen and bring him in it is a fuck up because we''ve missed out on our number one target to a promotion rival, despite seemingly having been negotiating for much longer than Villa.

We might end up getting another striker, they might turn out to be better value. However it still makes us look incapable in the market of getting things done.

Is this terrible news or good news so we can buy two amazing strikers instead that no one else wants. I wish you lot would make your minds up 😉

" We don''t want him, he''s too much money and too old. Oh , we''ve missed out signing him ? Clubs in crisis and it''s a huge cock up "

Sorry if WW2 but according to the Mail we have offered £11m plus £1m add-on (presumably conditional on something) and Villa now hope to nab him by guaranteeing the £12m and hope to conclude the deal quickly.

So if you believe that, the price is £12m and the debate can begin as to whether its worth missing out on the player who is clearly your number one transfer target for the sake of the odd million in twelve.

IF these reports are correct it also suggests we could have done the deal some time ago had we just agreed the £12m fee rather than haggled over the last million.

Again, opinions will differ as to whether we have done the right thing or seem likely to miss out due to dear old "prudence" again.

Presumably though if we do really want him we will just match Villa''s offer and then it will be up to the player to decide.

Villa have been after him all summer as well.

It was obvious the transfer was coming to a crunch over the weekend and ultimately Villa value McCormack higher than Norwich. It isn''t a huge surprise as they have more money than Norwich right now.

Without having more money I don''t really see what else Norwich could have done.

Thing is who do you turn to now ? Assombalonga , doubt Forest would even consider selling , Kodija ? Bristol have already turned down Villa , look abroad maybe ? never been a happy hunting ground for us .The season is upon us and in my opinion we have not got one decent striker on the books , lets hope plan B goes better than plan A , thats if you even believe there is a plan B , what are the odds plan B will probably be plying his trade in good old bonny Scotland  .

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry if WW2 but according to the Mail we have offered £11m plus £1m add-on (presumably conditional on something) and Villa now hope to nab him by guaranteeing the £12m and hope to conclude the deal quickly.

So if you believe that, the price is £12m and the debate can begin as to whether its worth missing out on the player who is clearly your number one transfer target for the sake of the odd million in twelve.[/quote]And other reports are saying Villa (and us, presumably) are being quoted £15m, because that apparently is the figure in his buy-out clause. Plus, Villa may be offering far more in wages than we are prepared to pay.

Jim Smith

The Daily Mail are saying Norwich were offering a deal worth £12m altogether Villa are offering one worth £15m altogether.

Unless you are offering to stump up the extra £3m Norwich need there isn''t much the club can do against a team with more resources.

@Bethnal

The BBC reporter made mention of Villa reviving their interest after failing with other targets- this suggests at some point their interest had cooled and they were focusing elsewhere. What we could have done is got it sorted in that time, rather than rather publicly fannying about over it.

I''m just not feeling this transfer at all. Personally I''d rather us go for younger strikers, more than one, with different attributes that could share the goals between themselves and Jerome - like we did with Grabban, Jerome and Hooper in 14/15.

I''m concerned we putting all our faith in RMcC and if he doesn''t perform we''d have backed ourselves into a corner with only Jerome as an alternative.

''Getting it sorted'' would have meant bidding 15m...

It seems Fulham were holding out for someone to meet their price tag. What would you suggest Norwich do? They can''t magic money out of the air unfortunately.

Don''t say ''if he scores the goals that mean promotion then its a drop in the ocean'' as firstly £3m isn''t a ''drop in the ocean'' promoted or not and those kind of gambles are why teams like Bolton are bust and in League One.