Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

McCormack wants to join us and fee agreed with fulham

A good player that will probably do well for them, and it is very irritating to have waited through 2 weeks of supposed negotiations for Villa to sort it in 2 days.

However, Villa were a poorer side than Fulham were when they got relegated, and having ''the best forward in the league'' didn''t help them back up- in fact, the highest they have finished is 17th.

£15 million is too much. Time for plan B.

[quote user="Mason 47"]A good player that will probably do well for them, and it is very irritating to have waited through 2 weeks of supposed negotiations for Villa to sort it in 2 days.[/quote]That''s purely because Villa decided to simply throw money at the situation whereas we clearly had a set limit and quite rightly we shouldn''t go above that.It''s something you see all the time at auctions, people fail to stick to their pre-determined maximum, end up spending more than they can really afford and frequently either end up in financial difficulties or suffer a big loss of profit in exchange.Personally I''d have walked away 2 weeks ago when Fulham started making silly demands, but that''s the only real complaint I have about the way the potential transfer appears to have been handled, and I''d rather we ''wasted'' 2 weeks making sure we pay a sensible price, than rush into a deal and pay even more through the nose in the process.

Also, those two weeks are only wasted if Norwich now have to start from scratch with another target. AN clearly said he had ''other irons in the fire'' and he ''wasn''t placing all his eggs in one basket'' with McCormack.

Hopefully he can pull one of his mixed metaphors out of the fire or basket and get him signed.

Yeah, I think we''ve all figured it comes down to Tony Xia walking in and dumping a couple of huge money bags on the table where we were trying to negotiate.

It''s still irritating; it''s like watching a download progress bar move 1% or 2% every couple of hours, only to get to 89% before the connection terminates completely and you''re left with a half-decent word processor and bet365.

We should have pursued McCormack 2 years ago, not now and not for stupid money... lets face it, none of the clubs he was at/is at did anything, no promotion, zilch!

I''m actually pleased about this.  Villa wasting vast millions on a player who yes, may score goals for them, but Villa are a club who have sold out to yet another of these rich non-supporting ego-trippers.   Let them have McCormack.  He was overpriced and not imo likely to have been what we wanted - and I don''t think he will help them to promotion either.  It takes more than good players to make a team.  We have saved £10m for other players. That is good and puts us in a good position for buying maybe two strikers for less, who may have the potential to score plenty, rather than one slow, selfish and rather injury prone striker.

[quote user="Diane"]Guess next question is will Ross want to go to Villa?[/quote]

Word on the street is that Villa have always been his preferred Championship team, Di - which is why I think this transfer was not in our hands anymore, even if we did match their offer and wages (Or even exceed them).

Ali K wrote the following post at 03/08/2016 8:20 AM:

"What disappoints me is if we really wanted him we should have done enough to get him. If we didn''t really want him then why bother. "

Just to add this looks like we are letting the manager down....again!!!!

theres nothing to say that even we had met Fulham''s asking price at any stage that Villa wouldn''t have matched it.

It would have then come down to the player''s choice....it would have been quite probable that he would have picked Villa over us anyway.

We havent heard anything at all from the player''s end these past couple of weeks that he was pushing for a move here.....and those apparant "sightings" of him being at carrow rd for the coventry match last week look all the more incredulous now...

If AN wanted him, which he surely did, it would have been terrific if we had got him.🤔

Bingo GJL - there''s no point throwing in a sensible suggestion on here when it can only be the clubs fault though 😉

It does. We only offered £10m (after two lower rejected bids), for someone who signed for £11m 2yrs ago, has 4 yrs left on contract and scored 40+ goals in those seasons.

It''s embarrassing when NCFC have a valuation that is so pitifully short of a sensible valuation. I fail to see how his valuation could depreciate, but only in NCFC eyes!

Of course his valuation could depreciate - the guy is 30 next week! We supposedly offered £12m after add-ons, that is a pretty fair price for someone of that age. Ultimately it probably came down to us not having enough cash and there''s nothing pitiful or embarrassing about not overpaying money you don''t have for something.

i think we would have had the cash Branston.......for the sake of stumping up another £1 or £2m up front?.....especially if ,as is rumoured we''re paying in the region of £8m for Pritchard (which really is overpriced IMO).

The fact of the matter is that the vast TV money involved in the Premier League is trickling its way down to the Championship, particuarly for newly relegated teams with parachute payments.

whether we like it or not this is now the going rate for a top Championship striker. Burnley recognised this last summer and shelled out £9m for Andre Gray who got the goals to get them straight back up.

Middlesbro forked out something similar for Rhodes and it was only in the last transfer window in January that they were linked with signing Jerome from us for £8m.

I for one dont buy the Brady "calf injury" story....and those around NCFC must have a good idea if Brady is on his way out, and must surely be budgeting for that income too.

We could have surely stumped up the extra couple of million here.....but as i previously said, Villa could well have matched us if we had anyway, and McCormack may still have chosen them

prichard at 8m and 23 yo is a great signing. McCormack at 13/14m and 30 yo isn''t UNLESS he''s the reason for promotion. I don''t think he''s all that tbf

Has this deal been completed yet, or have Villa only agreed a fee? We could yet table the same bid. Perhaps the board should back Alex this time, last seasons calamity cost us a place in the premier league at the time the largest cash influx hit clubs.

[quote user="Norfolk''n Good"]prichard at 8m and 23 yo is a great signing. McCormack at 13/14m and 30 yo isn''t UNLESS he''s the reason for promotion. I don''t think he''s all that tbf

What is it with this age thing, just because he is 30 and Prichard is 23 ,Prichard is the better deal why. What''s he done to justify an 8 million price tag. A half decent season with Brentford and couldn''t get a game for Spurs ,so they lent him to WBA where he couldn''t get a game there as well , where by all accounts wba were a poor side. Everyone is hell bent on this sell on valuation in a few years time. He could end up being a flop and be worth next to nothing who can tell.

I''m not so sure about Pritchard being £8m, certainly not initially - the argus (Brighton paper) said something about it ''rising'' to £8m with add ons. We may have agreed more up front than them, but it may not be the figure mentioned.

Same could be said for McCormack and that''s the risk, no-one knows how any transfers will turn out.

McCormack moving to Villa will be a 1 season wonder if they get yo,Mitch an owner like they have if they get promoted he comes across as the kind of guy that will be spending 10''s of millions on a player and McCormack will end up being surplus to requirements and we''ll probably get him in a years time on loan or a lot cheaper just to get him off the wages.

Easy to say as a Norwich fan but his future settled career is surely with us but this is assuming we met the required fee that Fulham wanted and no-one unless they work at either club or have a link to McCormack/agent can know that for definite

Delighted with Pritchard (hope he signs), couldn''t care less about McCormack now, just gone on far too long.

Asking as we get a couple of other strikers, maybe N''Doye and one other we''ll be alright.

If I recall correctly he took a few months when first going to Fulham before he started to fire. Villa may expect an immediate return. Interesting to see his goals / games ratio by Xmas

Getting quite late in the day now. surprised Ross McCormack has yet to sign for Villa, not that im caring much. Guess itll be tomorrow now.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]We should have pursued McCormack 2 years ago, not now and not for stupid money... lets face it, none of the clubs he was at/is at did anything, no promotion, zilch![/quote]

I remember a few years ago, Cardiff were in with a chance of getting into the playoffs on the last day. McCormack was their top scorer but they left him on the bench, don''t think he was injured as he came on in the 2nd half. Cardiff lost and finshed 7th, Sky Sports made a massive story about how they''d blown their chance by leaving him out.

He''s not been close to the playoffs since, let''s hope it stays that way!

I hope Villa lose their opening couple of games; their owner''s reactions will be popcorn-worthy.