Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

McCormack wants to join us and fee agreed with fulham

[quote user="king canary"]@Indy

Did you say given the choice now you''d take RVW over McCormack? For a team in this division?Sorry but that''s just bloody mental.[/quote]Not really, it all depends on how the team is constructed and the method of play chosen to help faciliate that.Goalpoachers like RvW are becoming more and more of a rarity, mainly due to changes in the game, the preference for variations on 4-5-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-4-1-1 or similar have generally lead to the preference being for a big, strong player to take the central lone striker position, and then use those attributes to hold the ball up in order to get the support from the near enough 5 man midfield. It also allows a more direct option to be used when wanted/needed as that''s the type of player that''s likely to win (or at least strongly compete) aerial battles against the average 6ft2" burly centreback they''re frequently likely to be up against. The problem is that strikers with the overall ability to perform that type of role consistently tend to be few and far between, and frequently cost a damn fortune when you do find one!One alternative is to take an approach that''s used less frequently but which fully utilises the strengths of the players you both have available and potentially can afford to sign.Take at look at the linked setup:[url]http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=by2s8[/url]Here you have RvW playing in front of Wes in a modified 4-4-1-1, with the focus on through balls and quick interplay. Canos and Brady are both more than capable of either crossing low/mid across the area (and at least aiming for the striker), or cutting inside to either rifle a shot or play the clever ball to RvW. What''s more, due to the excellent work rate of both the wingers and our central midfielders, on the defensive side they can pull back quickly to help cover the back line when needed, whilst Wes and RvW would stay more forwards in the event of a quick counter (admittedly neither are blessed with pace, but could play some nice stuff between them instead of pure speed on the break).See how in essence, RvW is still being played as a lone striker, but instead of being asked to play as a target man and hold the ball up, he''s there instead to get on the end of the final balls, to give us someone to play in to take a quick snapshot, and to generally be a total threat in and around the area/6 yard box.If we then find that in a game it''s just not working, and either the players aren''t on the same wavelengths or a more direct approach is needed, we can easily sub RvW for Jerome and possibly Wes for Naismith, and we''re almost back to AN''s normal setup which would focus on Jerome doing the hard work upfront, with likely Brady and Canos staying wider and focusing on higher crosses, rather than low ones or through balls, and Naismith putting in the miles just off Jerome to give him a target to knock balls onto or to play in.It really isn''t rocket science here guys, let''s face it - Leicester won the league playing an offensive 4-4-2 with Mahrez cutting in from the right (like Canos would), Vardy handling the hold up role like Jerome does, and Ozakazi playing off that (because he can''t hold a ball up for toffee) just like Naismith would for us.I still feel that there is a place in the modern game for a classic goalpoacher, and until such point as we no longer have managers like Bielsa (and his infamous 3-3-1-3) who are willing to challenge convential thinking, work with what they''ve got and show that other methods are perfectly viable, then RvW and similar players can still do a great job for a club, you just have to be willing to commit to making it work and realising and accepting their limitations and not blaming them when they can''t do things that in reality they shouldn''t even have been asked to do in the first place...

I have seen absolutely nothing from Mr. Van Wolfswinkel in any way, shape, form, formation, capacity or ability that suggests he will be an asset to the club.

As a high end professional footballer I think he''s shot.

@Indy

That is all very nice but if I was in charge of a Championship team and someone said I could have RVW or McCormack it would be insane to not take McCormack. Simply because he has proven time and time again he knows how to score goals in this division.

Latest from Sky Transfer Rumours... (Two separate posts)

Wolves are today set to land a sensational triple transfer swoop as the Fosun era gets under way in spectacular style.

Just spot Ross McCormack driving down to M54 toward to Wolverhampton... after Norwich bid rejected.

Possible transfer to Wolves agreement from new owners?

At this point I get the feeling we have put our eggs in one basket again this year and it''s not going to be fruitful!

Although he''s not my choice at this time so close to the start of the season I was hoping that most new additions would have been in our sights, sounds to me like we''ve lost out on McCormack and we now move on to the next target.

Hopefully Jerome stays fit and bangs the goals in from the start this year.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 27/07/2016 4:54 PM:

"I have seen absolutely nothing from Mr. Van Wolfswinkel in any way, shape, form, formation, capacity or ability that suggests he will be an asset to the club. "

He is so shart that he made me change my name!

Just a week and a bit  before season kicks off, its now getting seriously short on time to get a striker in for season start, but of course Alex is well aware of that, and his words last night echoed that fact, saying we dont have the time to hang around. Assuming that then,  likely he has to decide next day or so to what his next move is and which striker he tries for if the McCormack situation is dead ended. Many fans here kinda assume it would be Britt A. at Forest, but could it be another striker who weve had no links to as yet?If we have indeed 10-12 mill for a striker id prefer Kodjia at Bristol City, only downside to that is he would depart for a month at a important time of the season for the ACON. Whatever happens, Alex is sure cutting things fine, Windows been open nearly 4 weeks already and still we wait.

[quote user="Ali K"]ron obvious wrote the following post at 27/07/2016 4:54 PM:

"I have seen absolutely nothing from Mr. Van Wolfswinkel in any way, shape, form, formation, capacity or ability that suggests he will be an asset to the club. "

He is so shart that he made me change my name![/quote]Plastic.Wolfie ''til I die![:$]

We have to get a striker in. We only have Jerome who can play up on his own (not counting RVW or Laferty, neither of whom AN rates) and there is absolutely no way the guy can play 46 games without injury, suspension or loss of form.

It''s not that ridiculous to suggest that without another striker our chances of automatic promotion will be damaged very significantly.

Last years summer fiasco, the likelyhood that RM is not coming this way and the lack of any other substantiated rumours makes me very concerned.

we are £1m away from agreeing with fulham according to graeme bailey, just pay the money norwich, £11m for the best forward in league is nothing

This is just like the Brady transfer all over again. Hull wanted £7 million, we offered insulting amounts until eventually we paid what they wanted. It seems like we are doing the same for McCormack. This deal could have been sorted out before the Euros by making an appropriate bid and having it sorted. That''s why Bournemouth got Afobe. They paid what Wolves wanted and did the deal in a meter of days.

Whether we do the deal or not we don''t seem to have learned fro last summer''s fiasco.

Exactly how do you know how much Hull wanted Crafty? Didn''t Bruce initially say he wanted £15 million and got about half of that?

Lots of people on here seem to think that you just pay the asking price-very naive.

If we''ve gone in at 10m and end up paying 12-13 then it''s a lot different to going in at 3, 3.5 and 4 before paying 7. Norwich fans are ridiculous sometimes.

Ah, a Bournemouth comparison.

I''m sure if we were owned by a Russian billionaire we wouldn''t spent much time with negotiations either.

If we are not w Illinois to pay the going rate for one of the leading scorers in the Championship then why bid at all?

When I purchase a car I don''t negotiate by offering a Dacia value for a Porche and then up it to a Skoda.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Do let me know when you want to buy a car or house Crafty, I''d love to do business with you if you can''t be bothered to negotiate![/quote]

You dont have a clue Branston Pickle.

There are many cars and houses to pick from so you can afford to take your time and haggle (assuming you are prepared to let somebody else nip in and buy the house your partner thinks is a dream house).

When it comes to football players especially strikers which are in short supply the seller has more of the bargaining power than the buyer.

SO GET THE DEAL DONE AND STOP WASTING TIME NCFC

[quote user="tired"]Ah, a Bournemouth comparison.

I''m sure if we were owned by a Russian billionaire we wouldn''t spent much time with negotiations either.[/quote]

I thought Bournemouth''s new shareholder owns 25%

[quote user="Essjayess"]Really? did Alex actually say it was his final offer for the particular player that hes chasing, which we all presume is McCormack? i saw him say last night that indeed, every player has a certain value, but did not interpret what he said as it being the clubs final offer.[/quote]
I interpreted what Neil said as we cannot wait forever for Fulham to make a decision. Now they have made it, perhaps Neil may go back in with another offer, but I doubt it based on the fact he felt the 10m was the players top valuation. I agree and though would like McCormack here, I don''t want to see the club get their pants pulled down again. And personally I think Fulham would be insane to sell him on now at a loss. He is in his prime and scoring more goals than ever before.

Wow, the intelligence in some of these posts makes me wonder if youre able to get to carrow road by yourselves.

Of course we werent going to go straight in with Fulhams valuation. If we went straight in with 15 million it would first of all be neglectful to our club. Secondly, Fulham could turn around and say 18 million as they realise we''re willing to spend big.

EVERY OTHER FUCKING CLUB NEGOTIATES IN THE SAME WAY. Primary difference is their fans dont cry and wet their knickers about it.

The buying a car anology is a good one and entirely relevant. Ive never went to a dealer or private sale and paid full price.

The hold up seems to be that Fulham need to replace McCormack and seems they''re about to do just that. According to HITC, they''re on the verge of securing a £6m striker. So things may get moving now.