Sign in to follow this  
Jarrolder

How about Rickie Lambert?

Anybody mentioned Connor Wickham? I know he''s an ex scummer, still only aged 23 though, not getting regular starts at Palace and would do a decent job in the Championship. Everyone is throwing out suggestions, just thought i''d put another one out there. He''s not the slowest and standing at 6''3 he would certainly add a physical presence up front.

197 starts for Southampton with a return of 106 goals.

In terms of playing continuity, it clearly was a mistake going to his ''beloved'' club but it isn''t fair to judge him based upon 7 starts for Liverpool and then 5 starts for WBA. IMO he''s a good quality, experienced striker that would be an asset to have in our squad.

Barclay Boy789 wrote; Never ever would i want Connor Wickham at this club!

I get the sentiment, but he would be a much better option than Lambert imo, remember Lambert against us last season ? came on as a sub couldn''t run, looked total carp, so not for me.

A term that interested from this post was the word desire, not so sure journeymen show enough to be considered. Look for someone younger the chap from Huddersfield seems to be a good shout.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]Anybody mentioned Connor Wickham? I know he''s an ex scummer, still only aged 23 though, not getting regular starts at Palace and would do a decent job in the Championship. Everyone is throwing out suggestions, just thought i''d put another one out there. He''s not the slowest and standing at 6''3 he would certainly add a physical presence up front.[/quote]Great shout , was starting to score at Prem level and would certainly do a job in the Champs , young , and would pi55 that lot down the road off as well . Lambert has not been scoring for a while now and surely on a downward slope.

Why is Lambert "proven at this level"? He had one good season in the Champs, four years ago (Eg when he was in his prime). Before that solitary season he had never played at Champs level or higher. Since that season he had two pretty decent ones in the Prem (Neither as good as Holty''s first season in the Prem) and then has barely played for 2 years, and when he has played, he''s scarcely looked like threatening the goal. That doesn''t "prove" anything to me.

Darryl Murphy scored 27 (same number Lambert did) the season before last, and I don''t see anyone advocating that carthorse coming here, so why this one?

He''s been declining for a couple of years and will only get worse.

Some were crying about McCormack''s lack of pre-season and getting up to speed late. RM missed a few weeks, Lambert has missed two years and is 4/5 years older, he might be up to match fitness/sharpness by April if we''re lucky!

Lambert has never had much pace to lose. However, his family is settled in the Merseyside area close to his extended family so I doubt that he''d want to move to Norfolk.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Lambert has never had much pace to lose. However, his family is settled in the Merseyside area close to his extended family so I doubt that he''d want to move to Norfolk.[/quote]Welcome back Tom. [Y]Now, two questions.......Have you met True Grit?And hows this year''s peppercorn crop looking?

Connor Wickham would be a good signing imo, but an unrealistic one. Looking at Palace''s website, they only have 3 listed strikers. Without Wickham, the other 2 consist of a non-league recruit who has played 6 times in 4 years and a crocked Frazier Campbell.

I''d rather a younger/hungrier player than Lambert, but if we get really desperate it might not be an awful signing.

Has anyone noticed a striker who''s ok, that looks very similar to a striker thats excellent.

Because if i remember rightly someone( shall remain nameless) had a theory about similar looking Keepers having similar abilties.

So , if you happen to spot a Rashford, Lewandoski or even a Harry Kane looky likey, send him up to the Lake Disrict for a full similarity/ability appraisal by the Expert.

My opinion of Rudd stands. He is still learning, but stiĺl has the attributes to be a top keeper. Lambert already has the experience and know how at aĺl levels, so apart from his age - which is not a barrier imo - like several on here have said - is a good shout. He may not have the desire, if so, he can stay where he is - if he does, however, then he would be a good asset to have.

No Worries LDC, the thought just came into my head and i couldnt resist.

As it happens , i agree that Declan Rudd has something about him, and thought he did ok last season when he played, mistakes , yes but that is part of it all. I dont think we should sell him.

Ricky Lambert, just feel he''s been laid up for too long. Unlike Teddy Sheringham etc previously mentioned.

How about Charlie Austin, didn''t get much game time for Southampton last season?

Not a chance on Austin.

Should have been in for him years ago though.

Hmmm, Robbie Keane, the man that wont go away. We do have a RK lookey likey round here but he''s a ref so obv cant play. Not RKs biggest fan, bit of a man crush on Wes and Shane Long though. Starting to appreciate Robbie Brady, seems to be keeping his head down during transfer window speculation, i respect that.

We really should have bought Shane Long rather than RVW.