Sign in to follow this  
BarclayBoy789

How about Chris Martin?

[quote user="BarclayBoy789"]No this isnt a rumour, just a thought.

Definitely a good championship player, surprised we haven''t been linked with him!![/quote]Not as surprised as I would be if we were to be linked with him!

I rate Chrissy Martin, and didn''t agree with when we let him go, but as with McCormack and a few others, he''s not really the man we''re looking for (cue Jedi hand motion).Martin as per McCormack works to his best playing alongside or off a front man, and our key priority HAS to be a player in a similar mould to Jerome, who will work hard, has the strength and physique to hold the ball up to bring our VERY exciting midfield into play, and who offers a genuine aerial threat to boot.Chris Martin won''t give us that, neither would have McCormack, and whilst I can really get behind the Pritchard signing as it was simply too good to turn down, I don''t feel the same here, despite my personal liking of what Martin offers and how he plays.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I rate Chrissy Martin, and didn''t agree with when we let him go, but as with McCormack and a few others, he''s not really the man we''re looking for (cue Jedi hand motion).Martin as per McCormack works to his best playing alongside or off a front man, and our key priority HAS to be a player in a similar mould to Jerome, who will work hard, has the strength and physique to hold the ball up to bring our VERY exciting midfield into play, and who offers a genuine aerial threat to boot.Chris Martin won''t give us that, neither would have McCormack, and whilst I can really get behind the Pritchard signing as it was simply too good to turn down, I don''t feel the same here, despite my personal liking of what Martin offers and how he plays.[/quote]

Martin has played the majority of his three seasons at Derby playing the lone striker mate. He drops deep and his link up play is serious business, loads of tricks. It''s not only goals but his assist rates are really high as well. He''s transformed as a player since he left - I''d have him back no problem at all.

i always thought chris martin would get better with age like a poor mans teddy sheringham

i would have him here but his lack of pace is a worry

we need pace up front something we have lacked

I doubt he''d want to leave Derby unless we offered him substantially more money. He''s doing well there.

Always think its a mistake to go back in time, Chris is agreat footballer nearly lost his way here, found it at Derby luckily just when he was about to sink without trace.

Goal scoring is all about confidence it can come and go so easily , Vardy could switch off tomorrow and be worth little in a year such is football . RVW is an example of that you can see he has the talent just lost the confidence to finish which is so hard to get back. Try to hard and like Jerome you get offside or snatch at chance.

We need a hungry striker young and connfident, the Forest lad is my best bet.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I rate Chrissy Martin, and didn''t agree with when we let him go, but as with McCormack and a few others, he''s not really the man we''re looking for (cue Jedi hand motion).Martin as per McCormack works to his best playing alongside or off a front man, and our key priority HAS to be a player in a similar mould to Jerome, who will work hard, has the strength and physique to hold the ball up to bring our VERY exciting midfield into play, and who offers a genuine aerial threat to boot.Chris Martin won''t give us that, neither would have McCormack, and whilst I can really get behind the Pritchard signing as it was simply too good to turn down, I don''t feel the same here, despite my personal liking of what Martin offers and how he plays.[/quote]
Have to say I disagree, every time i''ve watched Martin for Derby he''s played the lone role up front and done pretty well. Doesn''t have the pace of Jerome but obviously is a much better finisher.

Great lone striker these last few years and a better first / finishing touch than Jerome. Gets the goals, supports the club. Could do far worse.

"Never go back" is a good motto in football.  Martin flourished when he left Norwich - best thing he could have done for his career.  Good luck to him, but wouldn''t want to see him playing for us again - too much baggage.

Why should Derby County who have a reputation in recent seasons for being the big spenders of the Championship even consider selling one of their best players to a rival in the league?

Why should CM want to return, especially as he has done so well for the Rams?

We are no longer a Premier League club so how can we expect to just poach other clubs top players, especially from teams amongst us as favourites for promotion?

We might have a degree of financial clout and be amongst the favourites to succeed this season but we cannot expect to just swan around plucking the best players from rival clubs.

Fulham seem to have decided to cash in on McCormack and the player seemed to want pastures new so that situation was not comparable.

I should imagine if Chris Martin did move on it would only be to a Premier League club and for obvious reasons. He''s certainly given no indication that he would fancy a return to his roots just yet.

I think he''s an AN type player- he seems totally different to how he was when he was here. He has become almost a target man in style, good hold up and link up play and an eye for goal.

I always liked him but I also don''t think he would have become the player he is today if he''d have stayed here. Sometimes a player just needs a fresh start to progress.

we could do worse and like most on here i totally disagree with indy bones, not sure who he has been watching these last couple of seasons.I think he would be a great fit, he is local, so may want to return.Guess Derby dont need to sell though