Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Alternatives to McCormack

Anyone mentioned Kodjia? He looks pretty good all round, 6''2", athletic & is an aerial threat (unlike Wells).

transfermarkt.co.uk only values him around £2m. Good value as backup/prospect I''d have thought.

ron, Kodjia has been mentioned many times in many differnt topics. I dont know  why transfermarket value him at 2 mill, it is irellevant. Bristol City is his club and you would not get him for 12 mill, never mind 2 mill. Also Paddy Davitt has  confirmed Assambalonga is not a City target, so as ive said a few times in last week or two in these forums, Alex and City likely are looking at other areas outside the Champs for  striker options.

Was watching the Nigeria v Japan Olympic game, was quite impressed by Umar Sadiq playing for Nigeria 19 years old, 6 foot 6 I think and on the books at Roma, looks quick and skilful for a big lad.

Don''t think he''s played much for Roma since joining them and doubt he''d come to the championship on loan but looks a decent player

[quote user="lappinitup"]What a remarkable knowledge you have of footballers Indy. It must cost you a fortune in air fares scouring Europe. [;)][/quote]Think you''re still stuck in the 1930''s Lapps [:D]You do realise that there is plenty of coverage and information regarding teams that aren''t purely within a 50 mile radius of Norwich?Also funny isn''t it, that back in April of 2013 I identified a number of potential players, got roundly ridiculed (in some cases this was fair cop e.g. Isco), but the majority were all good potential signings that half this forum had never heard of, now look at some of them:Timm Klose - Did he sign for us? I think he did. Is he regarded as easily our best CB? I think he is - not bad for a total nobody...Ogbonna is now West Ham''s first choice CB.Firmino went to Liverpool for 29 mil and has since got a 1 in 3 record for them (as well as being one of their top players)Adam Maher went to PSVWe have been linked with N''Koulou a number of times, and he''s now just left Marseille on a free to move to LyonTer Stegen went to BarcaJung moved to WolfsburgRode moved to Bayern and has now just signed for DortmundHeung Min-Son is now at SpursBony went to SwanseaAspas went to Liverpool couldn''t get past Sterling, Coutinho or Suarez (unsurprisingly) and has since gone to Celta with 14 in 35 last seasonIf fact, apart from Baptistao and Oczipka, pretty much every player on my list went on to bigger and better things. So instead of making sarcastic comments, why not take a look back at this little list and realise that I DO know what I''m talking about (well 75% of the time anyway [;)]), and that just because you''ve not heard of a player, it doesn''t make them $hit, nor does it mean that I''m some nerdy 14 year old thats simply dragging names from Football Manager, FIFA or whatever, and in actual fact I do genuinely have a clue...

A good call on Kodjia as well as Wells but I could certainly see Jerome winning the headers for Wells. Wells used to feed off Hanson at Bradford. Nippy and skillful. Just the type we need imo.

@Indy

I think you''re being a bit disingenuous here. I had half a memory of that thread so went and looked it up and lo and behold- you weren''t being mocked for the players not being very good, you were being mocked for suggesting players miles out of our league.

Your list contained Isco (who moved to Real Madrid that summer for £30m), Nani (on about £100k a week at Man U) Ter Stergen (pretty much considered the best young goalkeeper around and already being heavily linked with Barca at the time). In fact, having gone through the thread I actually posted basically this same post back then.

sonyc, I''m thinking we need an alternative for when Jerome''s injured or off form. Especially with Pritchard now here, we''ve plenty of small, skillful AM players who can score. Wells is really a bit too similar to what we have for me.

[quote user="king canary"]@Indy

I think you''re being a bit disingenuous here. I had half a memory of that thread so went and looked it up and lo and behold- you weren''t being mocked for the players not being very good, you were being mocked for suggesting players miles out of our league.

Your list contained Isco (who moved to Real Madrid that summer for £30m), Nani (on about £100k a week at Man U) Ter Stergen (pretty much considered the best young goalkeeper around and already being heavily linked with Barca at the time). In fact, having gone through the thread I actually posted basically this same post back then.[/quote]I''d argue that there were only 3 main players on that list, that looking back were just too optimistic - Isco, Ter Stegen and Aubameyang.Nani may well have been on just under 100k a week at Man Utd, but considering that they sold him for only just over 4 mil, and with his wages at around 4.8 mil a year at the time, this would have affordable - assuming we were willing to break our wage ceiling and risk such a high earner on the books if things went Pete Tong (although I do think we could have got an easy sale at that point anyway). Are you actually telling me you think that playing for Sporting in the Portuguese league would have been a more attractive choice than starting each week for us in the Prem?I also remember you stating that Nani would be off to Serie A or Spain (or maybe PSG), when in fact he sat warming Man Utd''s bench for a year before he went to Lisbon, followed by a move to Fenerbahce....Let''s also not forget that we were about to go into a summer transfer window with not just one of our largest transfer kittys ever, but on the back of a 2nd season in a row finishing mid-table in the prem, having already attracted RvW (even though that didn''t pan out for us, it was still a BIG signing) and offering a good option for any top player to be pretty much guaranteed to start each week in the prem - hardly an uninspiring lure was it?And as I pointed out back then, even if these players simply saw us as a stepping stone to other clubs - so what? We''d still have had a year or two of genuine quality which we then likely make a fat profit on afterwards!As for not being ridiculed about them not being good enough (or being complete nobodys), let me point out these comments from that thread:"About 4 of all these names mentioned are possibilities the rest are stupid nobody''s you''ve bought on football manager.""I''m not going to pretend I know any players from abroad because I don''t

focus on those leagues and I don''t play Football Manager anymore""Who in the *** are the majority of these players?

"

Yes Ron, that is an important consideration and I reckon too Neil likes his target type tough front man. I suppose I just wish we would play 2 strikers rather than the string attacking midfield supposedly interchanging with the strikers around the box. I''m still a 442 or 352 fan.

But having seen Wells for maybe 10 plus games he is certainly no AM but an out and out poacher type. His first touch is not always great but then you are surprised he even reaches second balls let alone hooking them into the net from tough angles. The lad simply knows where the goal is. Think he got 17 last year for an average Huddersfield after proving himself with 40 plus at Bradford the previous 2 seasons. At 26 he is the right age too. Yes, he is only 5ft 7 though but with no little strength. Anyway I reckon this is all pointless explanation because there is no way he is even on the radar. Just not Neil''s type.

sonyc, I think we''ve sort of swapped opinions! If Neil is actually after 2 strikers, then perhaps it may well be one Jerome backup plus a McCormack replacement, i.e. a goal poacher who feeds off the big bloke, i.e. Wells! I was thinking as I typed that Wells isn''t really an AM, but more as you described - confirmed by your having seen him play.

Judging by our pre-season our attacking style actually looks more technical than last year''s, relying on quick thing & clever interplay around the box.Exciting stuff! So perhaps Neil''s type after all?

Neil saying he''s ''aware'' of him, plus his confirmation of definitely getting 2 strikers in, means Wells may very likely be in the frame.

Ron, it''s fascinating speaking of Wells and maybe synchronicity but I heard from my son yesterday (source from his friend) that Wells is apparently of interest to Norwich. Now then, these kind of rumours are usually wide of the mark. But he still lives in the area and it''s not totally beyond all possibility that within a relatively small circle of local football talk these sort of stories emerge. I guess we may even hear (or not) this week. But I would like to see this become a firmer rumour for sure. However, I''ve not seen anything whatsoever in the press.

If Mbokany not find club soon should be ideal...

for loan I think Charlie Austin,Ings,Crouch

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="king canary"]@Indy

Your list contained Isco (who moved to Real Madrid that summer for £30m), Nani (on about £100k a week at Man U) Ter Stergen (pretty much considered the best young goalkeeper around and already being heavily linked with Barca at the time). In fact, having gone through the thread I actually posted basically this same post back then.[/quote]I''d argue that there were only 3 main players on that list, that looking back were just too optimistic - Isco, Ter Stegen and Aubameyang.Nani may well have been on just under 100k a week at Man Utd, but considering that they sold him for only just over 4 mil, and with his wages at around 4.8 mil a year at the time, this would have affordable - assuming we were willing to break our wage ceiling and risk such a high earner on the books if things went Pete Tong (although I do think we could have got an easy sale at that point anyway). Are you actually telling me you think that playing for Sporting in the Portuguese league would have been a more attractive choice than starting each week for us in the Prem?I also remember you stating that Nani would be off to Serie A or Spain (or maybe PSG), when in fact he sat warming Man Utd''s bench for a year before he went to Lisbon, followed by a move to Fenerbahce....Let''s also not forget that we were about to go into a summer transfer window with not just one of our largest transfer kittys ever, but on the back of a 2nd season in a row finishing mid-table in the prem, having already attracted RvW (even though that didn''t pan out for us, it was still a BIG signing) and offering a good option for any top player to be pretty much guaranteed to start each week in the prem - hardly an uninspiring lure was it?And as I pointed out back then, even if these players simply saw us as a stepping stone to other clubs - so what? We''d still have had a year or two of genuine quality which we then likely make a fat profit on afterwards!As for not being ridiculed about them not being good enough (or being complete nobodys), let me point out these comments from that thread:"About 4 of all these names mentioned are possibilities the rest are stupid nobody''s you''ve bought on football manager.""I''m not going to pretend I know any players from abroad because I don''t

focus on those leagues and I don''t play Football Manager anymore""Who in the *** are the majority of these players?

"[/quote]

This post is ludicrous lol.

The names mentioned would not have wanted to come to Norwich. Regarding your point on Nani, signing players like him would put us in a weaker position financially while having a top quality player on our books who in all likelihood doesn''t give a damn.

Neil has the strategy correct, look at young hungry players looking to enhance their reputation with a mix of proven experience such as Jerome, Hoolahan and Naismith.

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="king canary"]@Indy

"[/quote]

This post is ludicrous lol.

The names mentioned would not have wanted to come to Norwich. Regarding your point on Nani, signing players like him would put us in a weaker position financially while having a top quality player on our books who in all likelihood doesn''t give a damn.

Neil has the strategy correct, look at young hungry players looking to enhance their reputation with a mix of proven experience such as Jerome, Hoolahan and Naismith.[/quote]

I should clarify by saying, I''m not suggesting Nani doesn''t care about football, just that he isn''t likely to be motivated by playing for Norwich.

[quote user="Cobain18"]This post is ludicrous lol.[/quote]Thanks for the caveat for the rest of us before we read your response.

[quote]The names mentioned would not have wanted to come to Norwich.[/quote]Really?Based on WHAT information?We were going into our 3rd straight season in the Prem having finished comfortably mid-table both seasons, had our largest transfer budget and had already confirmed that RvW was joining in the summer (which at the time was seen as quite a coup tbh).It''s also no secret that the Prem is regarded as one of the best 2 leagues in Europe (along with La Liga), and most of the players suggested were plying their trade in either Germany or Holland at the time, and we''d have been able to virtually guarantee a starting place for most of them, which if nothing else would have provided them with a bigger and better stage to showcase their skills each week and potentially leading to a nice profit on the player should we then sell, and best case being they not only help us stay up, but improve on our previous place finishes.[quote]Regarding your point on Nani, signing players like him would put us in a weaker position financially while having a top quality player on our books who in all likelihood doesn''t give a damn.[/quote]Again - based on WHAT information do you make that claim?It''s blindingly obvious we had the finances to afford a potential deal (whether or not we''d choose to do so is another matter), and who the hell would rather go play in Portugal or Turkey instead of moving to another Prem side???????The only reason Man Utd sold Van Persie as they did, was so they didn''t sell to a rival, otherwise he''d likely have jumped at the chance to sign for any number of other Prem clubs who''d have loved to have him join.[quote]Neil has the strategy correct, look at young hungry players looking to enhance their reputation with a mix of proven experience such as Jerome, Hoolahan and Naismith.[/quote]Maybe you should try keeping up with the thread instead of completely missing the point?What relevance does Alex Neil have to the discussion regarding the players I previously suggested in the slightest???At the time we were managed by Chris Hughton, who utterly failed to sign a quality centre back to play alongside Bassong (imagine the Klose/Bassong partnership 2 years ago!) and left us with either Turner or Yobo all season, and totally misused nearly 15mil worth of strikers in the process!What is amusing however, is that when AN did become manager, he actually looked to sign N''Koulou! And as apparently I don''t have a clue, what does that say about our manager...?

[quote user="Alex "]Outstanding debut from McCormack 😉[/quote]

went about as well as I''d have hoped !...missed a couple of sitters and hobbled off with an injury!.....also has the annoying Harry Kane syndrome of wanting to take corners instead of being in the box.

for all that though, I''m fairly sure we would have provided a better standard of service to him than Villa will be able to.

and judging by some of yesterday''s build up play, much of it on the ground too.

He would have enjoyed being at the sharp end of our team this season, with the players he''d have had around him, I''m fairly sure.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Looking forward to the next tweet from Dr Xia. Not smiling now.[/quote]

My thoughts entirely GJL 👍

And absolutely Nuff, can''t stand the bloke - I''d tweet him myself, infact I will 😉