Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Alternatives to McCormack

Would he come down to this level? I''d be happy to have him back for a free! Better option than McCormack.

26/07/2016 4:45 PM:

Would he come down to this level? I''d be happy to have him back for a free! Better option than McCormack.

Me too.

Would have Mbokani back in a heartbeat - if he''s motivated. Classiest player I''ve seen since Ashton. And we know he can score in the Prem., whereas McCormack is unproven.

Can''t see it happening though.

Not a chance of Babacar coming to Norwich while we''re in the Championship, even if the transfer fee would likely be lower than McCormack''s touted cost.

If Babacar goes this summer, which is very possible, it''ll be a high wage move to the Prem or to a side in the Europa/Champions League.

So correct me if I''m wrong, we are not allowed to sign any striker below 6 foot plus because they won''t fit "the system"

Getting beyond ridiculous

I mentioned his inability in the air as one of the issues with McCormack but it certainly isn''t the only reason I''m not keen on this transfer. No has yet explained why they think he would play well as a lone striker?

Also, isn''t a player not fitting the system a good reason not to spend £10m on them?

Go look through other threads if u want to know my views on how he fits the system and can he possibly play the lone role.

His best will obviously be playing off Jerome which gives us another option to hoolahan. Also said i expect naismith to operate off the flank more often than not.

All horses for courses over a long season. Not saying it won''t be handy to bring in a traditional target man but purely as back up to Jerome, as he is one of AN favourites.

As the club the officialy now bid someone obviously agrees with me.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I mentioned his inability in the air as one of the issues with McCormack but it certainly isn''t the only reason I''m not keen on this transfer. No has yet explained why they think he would play well as a lone striker?

Also, isn''t a player not fitting the system a good reason not to spend £10m on them?[/quote]

The people who watch him every week (fulham fans) seem pretty certain he has to play as 1 of a 2. I will take their judgement over any of our own fans in this instance, until AN proves otherwise.

That''s what I''m saying we will more than likely play him off Jerome. So he will fit the system.

Some of you want a strike force with exactly the same kind of players, what''s the point in that?

I believe we will get 2 strikers this window, when we sell brady we will be in for another probably a more traditional target man as cover.

Ok, so lets look at this logically - or at least try to.

The out and out strikers we have at the club (that I can see) are:

1) Jerome

2) Lafferty

3) RVW

4) Morris

So we have four strikers that are more fashioned in the mould of the center forward based on strength and height more than outright pace although Jerome is no slouch.

McCormack has played wide in the past but I still think his position is more as one of two up front or just off the target man.

Now, there is an argument to be had that he is similar to the likes of Naismith/Hoolahan (maybe Maddison?).

We then also have to assume that AN wants to go on with one up front for the majority of games or at least perhaps a 4-4-1-1.

Again, I suspect that things will become clearer as pre-season progresses but for me, we have only one striker out of four that has a recent record of scoring goals at the level we are in. That isn''t enough to ensure success. We need two or three.

We''ll also need a big squad. For starters, Wes is 34, and I am as big a fan as any, but he''ll most likely not be able to play all of the games this season. We also know the likes of Jerome and Tettey often can''t play too many in short succession either.

So for me it''s logical for the club to be looking at players that offer something different but also with a degree of pedigree behind them too, that can be relied upon for consistency.

I think it''s fairly safe to say that AN is likely to be playing with a single striker and then another man playing off them in the majority of games (we''ve seen little evidence to argue against this), that means that as an out-and-out target man we pretty much have Jerome.RvW is a goalpoacher, clearly not favoured and will probably be moved on before he''s given another opportunity.Lafferty isn''t a target man either, in fact I''m not even quite sure exactly what traits he possesses to make him suitable as I don''t think running round looking for Red Cards is going to be of much assistance, and as we''ve had some limited interest from other clubs, I expect him to be leaving as well (assuming they make an offer)Morris could potentially play as a target man, that is more his game, but he''s simply way too raw to be thrown in at this level, and we''d likely be doing more harm than good, both to us as a club and to the player themselves.This means that if Jerome gets injured or similar, AN''s entire system is thrown up in the air and we either play people out of position and hope that they can do a decent job till CJ gets back (hasn''t really worked very well in the past IMHO), or we change the system to accomodate the players we do have, in which case there''s an argument to be made that RvW still has a potential place here - albeit more likely as a 3rd choice striker.In the meantime I''d argue that our primary focus HAS to be on a player in a similar mould to Jerome, to not only cover the injury/suspension possibilities, but to introduce genuine competition to get the best out of our strikers. Sadly this is where the McCormack idea comes unstuck. He''s not a target man, he doesn''t suit the role and it''s a shedload of cash for a player that doesn''t fit the preferred setup. I''d also argue that given the same amount of games and played in his preferred position, that Naismith could easily do as good a job as McCormack would, but he''s already our player thus saving the 12-15 mil being touted around for McCormack that we can then spend on a genuine option to compete with Jerome.My personal view is that we have enough to players to more than adequately cover the no10 position as part of a 4-4-1-1 or similar, but we just don''t have anyone to do what Jerome does, so where''s the sense in blowing our transfer budget (or close to it) on a single player who in no way performs a similar role to Jerome, nor are they likely to be able to adapt their game to this anytime soon either?

Chicken i think that''s a great post.

Tbh i feel we''ve exhausted the subject through several threads, let''s just hope we get a striker in or preferably 2 with 1 or 2 getting off the books, maybe then we can please everyone.

I think McCormack''s ability to play as the lone striker depends on who is in behind him and how our wingers get forward, for example if it''s Wes behind I''m not so sure it will work, Naismith on the other hand will let him still drop deep and run off him, if the wingers are also pushing high that stops him drifting so wide or running off the shoulder, guess we''ll never know till it''s tried

I think someone just posted that RVW is suited to the single striker role because of height and weight.

I will be back when i''ve coughed up a kidney from laughing so hard.

vydra is a good shout and has proven to be successful in promotion chasing teams. He looks very unlikely to get a much game time this season.

There are other good (championship such as Bamford) strikers on the fringes of prem clubs that would do a great job and offer excellent value. But if a loan its likely to be towards the end of Aug. We do need someone sooner...

Interesting comments from AN that the clubs patience is near its limited and time for us to move on to the next one;

As cover/competition for Jerome, what about Hooper''s current strike partner at Sheff Wed - Adthe Nuhiu?Strong, hard working, just the right age, admittedly is absolutely not the goalscorer that would net 20+ a season, but could probably get double figures for us and also helps create quite a lot of chances for his teammates, not to mention that he''s VERY good at holding the ball up as well.I doubt he''d cost more than a couple of mil at most, and it almost seems like a no-brainer.Thoughts?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Thoughts?[/quote]I think that almost 10 years on the Pinkun has turned you into an irredeemable WUM.Or maybe you realised how awful some of your previous genuine suggestions were and are going for a ''I was only pretending to be retarded'' sort of thing now.

Just been talking with my Norwegian work colleague who''s back in his home city of Molde and he''s raving about Sander Svendsen.

Maybe a name for the future........

Watched Nahki Wells on many occasions. Fast, takes up clever positions and a confident poacher type of striker. £6-8m would deliver him to Carrow Rd IMO.

Nuhiu? Wednesday fans hate him, and think he is garbage, which he is. If we went for him we may aswell all just give up now.

[quote user="Timmy Time"]Nuhiu? Wednesday fans hate him, and think he is garbage, which he is. If we went for him we may aswell all just give up now.[/quote]Yeah, but he looks good on Football Manager. [:''(]

we need pace upfront badly McCormack is not going to provide that

like i have said before 12 million on one player is putting all or eggs in one basket

i still can not believe the club thinks a ageing McCormack is the best striker in all the leagues in the world,

That is available for 12 million and would come here

I think people need to relax a bit.

We will sign 2 strikers this window, i think that is obvious with the rvw departure. Mccormack being one.

I meant to add that I still want us to get McCormack but think we probably need 2 new strikers.

The important thing with whoever we sign is that they are good enough and have enough goals in them to get us up.

Nothing else really matters.

There are precious few "proven" goalscorers at championship level.  The ones that are proven are either at clubs that won''t sell to a rival unless they cough out way over the top for them, or have moved on into the premier league.  The best option imo is to get a loan deal in from a premier league player who is not likely to get first team games at their club.   Bamford would be good season long loan for us imo, or someone like, dare I say, an older player like Ricky Lambert, who is not likely to be a first choice striker at West Brom - who might even be tempted by a sale to another club.   If it was a straight choice between Lambert and McCormack, imo Lambert would be a lot cheaper at 34.......and probably better.