Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Alternatives to McCormack

Bamford for me definitely gives something a little bit different. If he can be motivated could be great for us

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Scott Hogan from Brentford would be a good fit. Good at playing off the shoulder and running into wide areas, used to playing upfront by himself, has shown the ability to score goals in his (admittedly limited) championship career.[/quote]

Unfortunately he''s been injured twice which has limited his appearances but he hit the net in the few games he played last season.

Worth keeping an eye on.

Let''s throw this one into the mix........Jacob Murphy, is fast, shows he can score and can play off Jerome, why not? Save 15 million on some overrated aging championship striker and go after a Jerome type player?

Just a thought as an option!

I said more than a month ago how about Faissal El Bakhtoaui who had scored 30 goals in 41 games for Dunfermline last season. 23 yrs old, wages were under 1k a week, contract ran out end of the season. About everyone who replied said "Dunfermline?...Scottish side..not even Scottish premier...couldnt make it in the Champs if his life depended on it". Fair enough..but if you never try those type of guys youll never know will you?Anyway, hes been snapped up for a trial by...Blackburn. Just hope hes nowhere near their 1st team this weekend.

I''d take either of those. Would be good to have Bamford in addition as he''s scored goals in this league before..... Doesn''t look unrealistic given he''s not moved anywhere and he played here last season. Let''s hope we get Bamford and one of the two you''ve mentioned!

There''s three affordable players in D/M/F who ply their trade very well well in the German League.Unfortunately, I''m not an NCFC scout [:|]

[quote user="Cobain18"]I''d take either of those. Would be good to have Bamford in addition as he''s scored goals in this league before..... Doesn''t look unrealistic given he''s not moved anywhere and he played here last season. Let''s hope we get Bamford and one of the two you''ve mentioned![/quote]Bamford needs a good season somewhere to reinforce his reputation, which wasn''t enhanced by his loan last season.  Could be for us again, a whole season at CR could give him and us just what we need.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Cobain18"]I''d take either of those. Would be good to have Bamford in addition as he''s scored goals in this league before..... Doesn''t look unrealistic given he''s not moved anywhere and he played here last season. Let''s hope we get Bamford and one of the two you''ve mentioned![/quote]Bamford needs a good season somewhere to reinforce his reputation, which wasn''t enhanced by his loan last season.  Could be for us again, a whole season at CR could give him and us just what we need.

[/quote]I''d have Bamford back like a shot, but his fate has previously been decided [:|]

Any chance we could pinch Marcus Berg from Panathinaikos? He has an absolutely mad scoring record for them and has for years been an important memeber of the Swedish national side. Excellent target man type who would thrive in the Championship. Surely would be cheaper than £10m

Although I still think we''ll sign another striker, I wonder if Josh, possibly Jacob, Murphy will be deployed as a number 10 this season, rather than out wide? Both seem to have good instinctive finishing and look calm and clinical in front of goal judging by preseason? They have certainly looked the part in the main. I know it''ll be seen as a lack of ambition but...

I think Alex saw enough of Bamford last season to make his mind up about him, he''s not coming back.

Woodman wrote the following post at 03/08/2016 7:38 AM:

I think Alex saw enough of Bamford last season to make his mind up about him, he''s not coming back"

Somehow I don''t think he''s an AN sort of a guy.

What about the guy from Everton, Niasse ?! Fits the bill, loan is surely an option, he hasn''t been given a shirt number either...

I''m still confident that Mbakogu would be an excellent signing, and that given the time and appropriate coaching, would not only be a very dangerous player, but one who would likely see their value triple in a couple of years.There''s no doubt that he found the step up to Serie A tough last year, but being fair, that was in probably the worst team in the league who nearly went bankrupt a few seasons before.He''d be ideal as cover/competition for Jerome, won''t cost the earth, isn''t coming from a Champs rival who can ask silly money and is just the type of player who not only offers pace and strength, but is often unselfish and works his balls off for the team.[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOJwxKLddLY[/url]

N''doye linked.

He looked useful for Hull 2 seasons ago. Mainly played on the wing for Sunderland hence his lack of goals

Now that Villa have nabbed McCormack from under our noses, why don''t we go for Gestede from them.

I know he''s not a prolific striker but would be an excellent option at this level and the typical big man forward if we need to go long and from dead ball situations.

Still think we would need another prolific striker to go with this though.

I think Gusted turned us down last year which could maybe be a stumbling block but seems like the sort of player we need.

Gestede would be a good fit, decent shout Jimmy Bone, especially in the championship, and good for the lone striker role, and bringing mid field into play, and be nice to stick one up the Villa.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I''m still confident that Mbakogu would be an excellent signing, and that given the time and appropriate coaching, would not only be a very dangerous player, but one who would likely see their value triple in a couple of years.There''s no doubt that he found the step up to Serie A tough last year, but being fair, that was in probably the worst team in the league who nearly went bankrupt a few seasons before.He''d be ideal as cover/competition for Jerome, won''t cost the earth, isn''t coming from a Champs rival who can ask silly money and is just the type of player who not only offers pace and strength, but is often unselfish and works his balls off for the team.[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOJwxKLddLY[/url][/quote]He looks decent, Indy.Only trouble with a highlight reel such as that, is that it only shows the good stuff - condense the good bits of anyone''s season into four minutes and it''ll look impressive (except Wolfie, of course). Still, he seems to be well-balanced - reasonable turn of pace, six feet tall, composed finishing and some nice unselfish touches. I have to wonder whether our scouting network is looking further afield than the UK, though, as we''ve not even been linked with any non-UK players to my knowledge?I wonder if Parma can shed any light on him?

The Birmingham Mail has noticed that McCormack works well with a big forward alongside him so they''re suggesting that Gestede will stay, and were earlier saying that Scott Sinclair will be off to Celtic when McCormack arrives.

Another one who seemingly fits the bill as a big energetic forward, Mikael Ishak from Randers. Just scored a thunderbolt for Sweden at the olympics, has all the right attributes, a good age and a decent scoring record in his career so far. Notably drawn fairly low output when he spent some of his younger days with Parma and Koln in stronger leagues but he''s hopefully past that and ready for another crack at the big time.

I reckon we could get him for a couple of million too, so we could get him and another in the hope at least one of them turns good.

Ishak just isn''t there at the minute, and it''s somewhat worrying that 2 well sized clubs have signed him and then shifted him on within a year or so having either made no apps, or done absolutely nothing to justify a further deal (0 in 19 for Koln, and couldn''t even get a start at Parma).Even when loaned out to a Serie B side, he struggled with just 4 goals in 23 apps, compare this to Mbakogu who in his previous 2 seasons in Serie B finished with 7 in 28 and 15 in 30 respectively.At the minute I''d argue that Ishak is too raw for what we need (and that''s taking into account how raw Mbakogu is as well!), but either a lower placed champs side or a decent L1 side could do worse.

What a remarkable knowledge you have of footballers Indy. It must cost you a fortune in air fares scouring Europe. [;)]

As I said in other thread there is lot of suitable options there for us and we only need to find them.

For example Real Madrid is looking loan options for their striker Mariano who scored 25 in 28 in third tier spanish league. Would be cheap 1 year option for us with decent record and there is plenty similar options out there and I bet Alex with his scouts are trying to find right one.

[quote user="lappinitup"]What a remarkable knowledge you have of footballers Indy. It must cost you a fortune in air fares scouring Europe. [;)][/quote]Looks like Indy has all the attributes of Tom Cavendish and True Git rolled into one.