Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Alternatives to McCormack

As decent a player as I agree McCormack is, I just don''t see how he really fits into AN''s preferred setup and style of play, with him likely being set in the No10 position behind Jerome, which is usually occupied by Wes/Naismith, which makes him a VERY expensive option when we already have two players (3 if you count Maddison) perfectly capable in the role and without costing us most of our expected transfer budget.I''d argue that it''s competition/cover for Jerome that has to be the key priority and as such I''d like to suggest a couple of possibilites that may or may not be within the scope we can afford/achieve:1) Jerry Mbakogu - Carpi, probs cost around 5-6 mil, Quick, Strong, great in the air and the ideal longer term replacement for Jerome.2) Khouma Babacar - Fiorentina, probs cost around 8-10 mil IMHO. Not as quick or as strong as Mbokagu, but more composed in front of goal and again at the right age to develop his gameWith a bit of luck/negotiation, we could arguably get both for the same price as we''d pay for McCormack, and whilst it''s always a gamble bringing players in from abroad, I''d rather we mitigated our risk with two, young and hungry strikers who fit the system, than a guy who''s hitting 30 with no resale value and who doesn''t seem to fit our system/style of play.Anyone else seen either of the players and share this opinion?

Seems AN is complete joker as many ppl talk that McCormack not suit his system !

How on earth pro manager will risk 15 mil for player who not suit his system?

We not spoke for a alien who no one watch it before .

Those two guys may be reasonable Indy, but they both playing for Italian clubs and did we not have enough of rumours of links to City for players in Italy last season?

1) Mbakogu, the guy who scored 2 goals last season. Big and strong, but an awful finisher - conversation rate of 6% last season - even worse than Jerome. Not really sure why you would suggest this guy...

2) Babacar - players from Florentina aren''t coming to the Championship.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Why is it all the idiots think McCormack can''t play up front on his own?[/quote]

You''ve answered your own question 👍

I''m no idiot and I don''t think McCormack can play up front on his own.

He''s never done it well the times it has been attempted. He is completely useless in the air, he doesn''t even contest headers let alone win them. He is also not quick enough to get in behind defences easily.

The role he has played at Leeds and Fulham has been working with another striker. McCormack tends to drift into space between the midfield and defence and hit long shots or play a pass. He''ll also get onto a lot of balls in the box from flick ons, or when a striker partner pulls defenders away.

The few times he has been a lone striker defenders just go really tight to him knowing he doesn''t have the speed to get away from them and is most certainly not going to win anything in the air. He a great Championship player when deployed correctly, but not great when asked to do something he isn''t use to.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]1) Mbakogu, the guy who scored 2 goals last season. Big and strong, but an awful finisher - conversation rate of 6% last season - even worse than Jerome. Not really sure why you would suggest this guy...

[/quote]Because he''s still young, still developing his game and it was his first ever season in Serie A in a Carpi side that you know full well wasn''t good enough to compete with most of the teams they were up against.I admit that his finishing was a bit rough last season, but all the attributes are there to build upon and make a genuinely good player, and seeing as how we can''t possibly afford a Lukaku or similar, we have to make some sacrifices don''t we?What''s more, if AN does continue to play with a lone striker with Wes/Naismith playing off them, they would be ideal recipients for his knock downs to boot.[quote]2) Babacar - players from Florentina aren''t coming to the Championship.[/quote]You''re probably right, but for me this would be a real statement of intent from us, and if internationals like Klose, Olsson and Brady are willing to be here, then there''s also an outside chance he might consider it.

We might not, although I hardly doubt Norwich are going to suddenly turn into a Barcelona circa 2011 style club who keep everything on the ground, but nearly every lone striker needs to have at least some capability in the air - just so there is an out ball during times of pressure.

Even if Norwich keep it on the ground McCormack isn''t a striker who likes to play on the shoulder of the last defender, he doesn''t have the pace to pull away. He needs someone alongside him to stretch the defence and create space.

Why do you think he can play as a lone striker?

I quite liked the look of Nelson Bonilla, but he joined Nacional (Portugal) at the start of the month. There are players out there who we could sign without breaking the bank, but our scouting network doesn''t seem to extend far into Europe.

Isn''t that what Naysmith/Wes are supposed to do. Create space and stretch defenses (else why play them and Howson-you might as well play with two strikers?).

We don''t need a big, powerful striker. We need one with a footballing brain and who knows where the back of the net is

Forgot to say...wish we''d just nail one target. We were all jittery "before" the window opened.

Kick off is creeping nearer day by day, and 26 days into the window we still haven''t secured a target (I discount Canos, as he was a replacement for Redmond)

IK we don''t need many new players but sure I speak for all saying we''d be mighty happier once a prime target is secured

Don''t know many overseas players but a few championship strikers I think we could get are:

Nakhi Wells (Huudersfield)

17 goals last season, in lower half team.

Nouha Dicko (Wolves)

Would be a gamble after an injury but was strong and fast before injury and got goals before injury.

Chris Wood (Leeds)

A bit of a confidence player but good at holding the ball up, gets a few goals and leads the line quite well. Would compliment our attacking midfielders well.

Surely we could 2 of those 3 for a decent looking forward set up

The problem with most of these is that they aren''t really much better than what we have already for what we''d have to pay. I''d take a punt on nakhi Wells mind but I don''t think he''d be going as cheap as you think.

I think the underlying factor is that a ''20 goal'' man is only as good as the chances he gets.

Grabban would have got 20 if you gave him 100 good chances.

I think any decent Championship striker with the right attitude and temperament would be able to step up in our team (like Jerome has).

Scott Hogan from Brentford would be a good fit. Good at playing off the shoulder and running into wide areas, used to playing upfront by himself, has shown the ability to score goals in his (admittedly limited) championship career.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Why is it all the idiots think McCormack can''t play up front on his own?[/quote]

Better go and tell the fulham forum they are idiots then, seeing as you know better.

The one I really like is Nakhi Wells- just a good all round striker with a great finish.

I also like Nouha Dicko but his injury is a worry- he''s not even played a minute of pre season so even if we did take a gamble I don''t see him having any sort of impact until October probably.

The only thing with wells is, like McCormack, he''s tiny. He''s not going to be getting on the end of crosses like Iwan or Ashton used to and certainly won''t make the ball stick in the opposition half like they did either. It suggests we''d be playing a certain way if either of the two lined up. Other than Jerome, we don''t really have a reliable target man to lump the ball to when plan B is needed.

Saying that, perhaps if one of them two did arrive, we can use either them or both Jerome and one of them at different points and if there''s any injuries etc. we always have the loan market. When the likes of Brimam Diouf aren''t getting games, where are they going to go? That''s right, the championship. like the year we got Crouch for a few months, perhaps this is the better alternative?

I agree Tettey''s Jig, Wells would present a similar issue to us as McCormack. In that we''d still need a striker who can play uptop on his own or lead the line, but probably with Wells we could still afford to get a decent direct competition for Jerome. But who knows maybe AN is thinking of a change in formation, but that brings it''s own issue as i dont think Jerome ever looks great in a font two.

@Tettey

No he won''t be winning much in the air but he has the pace to stretch the play and the strength to hold off defenders. In some ways he is quite similar to Dwight Gayle but probably cheaper.

What are people''s views on Mbokani?

Hypothetically (if he would come back) would paying him a silly wage for a season be a good move - considering he is a free agent so no £15m fee!

Surely he could play that role in the Championship