Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Keeper this season

It seems to have gone unremarked that we''ve signed Paul Jones as a keeper from Portsmouth. Never heard of him but he sounds OK for third choice (first penalty save at the new Wembley, plenty of League 1 appearances FWIW).Now that Rudd is out on loan, presuambly with no ability for us to recall him, it looks like a straight fight between Ruddy and McGovern for the No. 1 spot. I guess this means the end of rumours of Ruddy moving on too.Who do we want to start the season? I think it has to be Ruddy, he''s proven, especially after the brief flirtation with Rudd last year.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]It seems to have gone unremarked that we''ve signed Paul Jones as a keeper from Portsmouth. Never heard of him but he sounds OK for third choice (first penalty save at the new Wembley, plenty of League 1 appearances FWIW).Now that Rudd is out on loan, presuambly with no ability for us to recall him, it looks like a straight fight between Ruddy and McGovern for the No. 1 spot. I guess this means the end of rumours of Ruddy moving on too.Who do we want to start the season? I think it has to be Ruddy, he''s proven, especially after the brief flirtation with Rudd last year.[/quote]

Yes, probably Ruddy, but if he loses form or gets sent of or is injured, McGovern then has his chance to be the number one goalkeeper if he get in the team and does well.  He represents good competition to Ruddy in the way that perhaps Rudd was not.  As you say, a straight fight, but Ruddy is in pole position to start with. It''s funny though, Rudd was deemed good enough to be number two goalkeeper in the premiership, but not good enough to be number two in the championship, unless there is some other reason why he has gone on loan, maybe to get regular first team action, I suppose. 

If we play Ruddy then we have to accept that we will play hoofball.Nothing against the guy but he has the worst ball control and passing ability of any keeper I can remember.

I think Rudd will probably leave us next season, so the loan is an attempt to bolster his value.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I think Rudd will probably leave us next season, so the loan is an attempt to bolster his value.[/quote]

Unless he is sold during the January transfer window we will get nowt next summer.

I was hoping he would get a new contract

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Hoping McGovern[/quote]

Hopefully McGovern is better than McGovern and Rudd gets a new contract with us during the season.

Looks like Rudd will leave on a bosman next summer, soa agood season with charlton will leave him with the chance of a good wage contract.

I suspect Ruddy will be no. 1 again this season

Ruddy head wasn''t in the right place when his form dipped last season, hopefully he''ll be back to somewhere near his best this season.

McGovern had a good Euros but has only been at Hamilton previously he still has a lot to prove.

As for good distribution from a goalkeeper I can''t remember the last keeper we had who had this.... probably Chris Woods?

It''s really not as hard as people are making out

Rudd went on loan to get game time, we''ve honoured this. Some believe he should be kept around against his will, perhaps shrink wrapped and put into a box in the loft with Pokemon cards and completed football sticker books.

Ruddy is number 1, McGovern is competition, Paul Jones is the generic passenger 3rd goalkeeper every club has. Unless there''s a severe string of unfortunate events he''ll never play a game for us.

Why is this hard to understand?

If Ruddy out of contract next summer expect him to leave and Rudd will be back up to McGovern.

Is Declan likely to make it? He''s not a young up and coming goalie anymore. This year he needs to finally prove himself I feel.

I expect first choice to be Ruddy, though I would go with McGovern, fresh to the team and confidence high after Euros.

[quote user="Herman "]Is Declan likely to make it? He''s not a young up and coming goalie anymore. This year he needs to finally prove himself I feel. [/quote]

Depends what you mean by "making it". He was a successful first team goalkeeper at Preston for a season and a half  and didn''t miss a match in his season long loan there.  He will probably do well at Charlton too.   League 1, yes, but he has proved himself perfectly well there.  He wasn''t so bad last season apart from one glaring error.  Has that one error cost him?  He was deemed to be good enough to be number two gk in the prem league, but not in the championship, which seems a bit strange. I don''t know, but AN has obviously said to him he needs more experience. 

Ruddy is our number one. Bringing in a new keeper after the turmoil of relegation and a bit of squad upheaval didn''t work too well last time we tried it.

I think people underestimate Ruddys positive effect on the team. It''s not all about shot stopping, the guys got great passion and leadership skills. Essential he''s number one IMO.

Who knows? Maybe Ruddy''s going, maybe AN''s deal to become Norwich manager included taking Mcgovern on a free, maybe Rudd likes Charlton, maybe there''s no method in this madness at all, maybe aliens are taking over the world, maybe everyone should just chill the feck out, my god, Pinkun meltdown!

Maybe I just wanna fly

[quote user="Buh"]It''s really not as hard as people are making out

Rudd went on loan to get game time, we''ve honoured this. Some believe he should be kept around against his will, perhaps shrink wrapped and put into a box in the loft with Pokemon cards and completed football sticker books.

Ruddy is number 1, McGovern is competition, Paul Jones is the generic passenger 3rd goalkeeper every club has. Unless there''s a severe string of unfortunate events he''ll never play a game for us.

Why is this hard to understand?[/quote] spot on.

Bump.

Brilliant result yesterday, really impressive performances but McGovern should should be given the chance to be number 1, imo.

i agree the old ruddy was about at times one with the goal and to with the spilling of shots

first game of season we were winning well

so players relax but Keepers have to have 100 % concentration all game

Ruddy looked unconvincing in pre-season, and yet again looked unconvincing in the league yesterday as well. He might be able to shout well and do a decent job organising the defence, but letting some of these attempts slip through his fingers is getting silly and they should simply not have got a consolation goal as even Theoklitos would have got more on that than Ruddy did...Either the errors and powder puff shot stopping changes, or so does the no1 IMHO.

Ruddy will make a few more mistakes and get dropped.

McGovern will come in and do exactly the same.

Then you''ll all be calling for ruddy as number 1 again.

Vicious cycle

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Ruddy looked unconvincing in pre-season, and yet again looked unconvincing in the league yesterday as well. He might be able to shout well and do a decent job organising the defence, but letting some of these attempts slip through his fingers is getting silly and they should simply not have got a consolation goal as even Theoklitos would have got more on that than Ruddy did...Either the errors and powder puff shot stopping changes, or so does the no1 IMHO.[/quote]
Yeah, I thought Ruddy was well protected by his back four so there''s no excuse - he has a certain amount of responsibility in goal and I thought he should have saved the goal and shouldn''t have parried the free kick out directly in front of him.