Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

Dame N'Doye

I don''t know a lot about him, but the fact he''s been at PL/top Champs sides suggests he''s decent enough. Match stats can be horribly misleading, Grant Holt''s weren''t great (at this level) when we signed him, but he''d often been played wide rather than as a main striker (eg at Forest) - if things ''click'' and a player can find form early, it can make a huge difference.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I don''t know a lot about him, but the fact he''s been at PL/top Champs sides suggests he''s decent enough. Match stats can be horribly misleading, Grant Holt''s weren''t great (at this level) when we signed him, but he''d often been played wide rather than as a main striker (eg at Forest) - if things ''click'' and a player can find form early, it can make a huge difference.[/quote]

Totally agree, people weren''t that enthusiastic about Jerome when he first signed but his performance at Wembley and throughout the championship season made a huge difference. Not his fault we didn''t find a true upgrade once in the prem.

So the club have a have a choice to make. There''s a 30 year old striker, who has never played top flight football, that will have to be shoehorned into the managers preferred tactics and will cost north of £12m. Or you can have a 31 year old forward on loan, who is more suited to the style of play that is used and will cost a fraction of £12m. I know what option seems the more sensible idea from my perspective.

"I know what option seems the more sensible idea from my perspective."

Of course this depends.

If McCormack scores the goals which get Aston Villa back up at the first attempt whilst we end up amongst the also- rans then that club will have been the more sensible.

We''ll see.

They have taken that risk. We decided not to.

I''d be happy with N''Doye as a striker we sign but not as the only striker. If we do this deal I''d assume we''d spend some money on a younger forward too.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"I know what option seems the more sensible idea from my perspective."

Of course this depends.

If McCormack scores the goals which get Aston Villa back up at the first attempt whilst we end up amongst the also- rans then that club will have been the more sensible.

We''ll see.

They have taken that risk. We decided not to.[/quote]

There is not one iota of risk taken by Villa in getting McCormack.  Xia''s wealth is practically unlimited.  The risk to our club would have been much more great if we had tried to outbid Villa.  Let them have him, realise that he could get injured (his career has been littered with injuries) or not score as many goals as they would like. Lets forget about McCormack. 

[quote user="ZLF"]Nearly an identical record to Mbokanis?[/quote]Very much so, and good spot ZLF.Mbokani hit 19 in 46 at Kyiv = goal every 2.42 gamesN''Doye hit 27 in 68 at Lokomotiv = goal every 2.52 gamesMbokani hit 7 in 30 for us last season = goal every 4.29 gamesN''doye hit 5 in 15 for Hull in Prem = goal every 3 gamesSo he''s got a better record in the Prem, and I''d certainly argue that the Russian league is better than the Ukrainian (not by a huge margin though), so in a direct comparison it could sensibly be argued that N''Doye has actually got the better record at comparative levels of competition.Interestingly, they also have quite similar international scoring records, though Mbokani does edge N''Doye in this respect.I''m personally of the view that N''Doye represents less of a gamble than we took on Mbokani, and that as a backup option/competition for the target man role, he''d possible represent good value for money and if he doesn''t perform then he''s going back next year anyway.We would still need another striker as well though, be this one of Wells, Assombalonga, Kodjia, Mbakogu or whoever, but as a season long loan deal, I''d have little problem with N''Doye coming here (again, not as the main striker purchase), and it certainly represents far better value than McCormack (and N''Doye has shown he can perform at a higher level as well).

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="ZLF"]Nearly an identical record to Mbokanis?[/quote]Very much so, and good spot ZLF.Mbokani hit 19 in 46 at Kyiv = goal every 2.42 gamesN''Doye hit 27 in 68 at Lokomotiv = goal every 2.52 gamesMbokani hit 7 in 30 for us last season = goal every 4.29 gamesN''doye hit 5 in 15 for Hull in Prem = goal every 3 gamesSo he''s got a better record in the Prem, and I''d certainly argue that the Russian league is better than the Ukrainian (not by a huge margin though), so in a direct comparison it could sensibly be argued that N''Doye has actually got the better record at comparative levels of competition.Interestingly, they also have quite similar international scoring records, though Mbokani does edge N''Doye in this respect.I''m personally of the view that N''Doye represents less of a gamble than we took on Mbokani, and that as a backup option/competition for the target man role, he''d possible represent good value for money and if he doesn''t perform then he''s going back next year anyway.We would still need another striker as well though, be this one of Wells, Assombalonga, Kodjia, Mbakogu or whoever, but as a season long loan deal, I''d have little problem with N''Doye coming here (again, not as the main striker purchase), and it certainly represents far better value than McCormack (and N''Doye has shown he can perform at a higher level as well).[/quote]Looking like it''s going to be exactly that, Indy [:O][:|]

I thought this guy was a big money signing when he left Hull, but the fee was only around £2.2 million so I assume he went for bigger wages. Seeing the loan fee for his 6 months at Sunderland from Trabzonspor being reported as £1.2 million it may be cheaper to buy him rather than try and loan himIf we could get him for around £2 million it could be a good deal (depending on his wages)