Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Reasons for Worthys success and failure?

What would you say? Hes done great for the club but may have gone as far as he can.

I think that perhaps he is the sort of manager that builds a team up over a few seasons, with hard working players and he gradually builds up the team spirit then with a little inspiration the club can get promoted. Thats his success.

I think now he may be losing it because of so many new players, they are obviously not working well enough together on the pitch. I think Worthy could be successful again but im not sure he will last that long.

Thats only one theory? What do you think?

I think Worthy has gone as far as he can with the club. The vast majority of times in life you will find that a persons/teams/countrys etc biggest strength can easily turn into their biggest weakness. In Worthys case I feel that his undoubted strengths of calmness, work ethic and discipline work really well in recovering a football club from the depths - as he did with us. He then had a really good streak and we got promotion to the Prem. Since then however, it has been downhill all the way and I feel that we need some "maverick" thinking, we need a spark of inspiration, we need something different and I don''t believe that Worthy can offer us that - he continues to offer what he has always offered but at the moment it is simply not enough. He appears unable to change so the board must change him.

Mark .Y.

my theory is that he had one hell of a lucky season when we got promoted.

Remember all the lucky goals?

Remember everything going our way?

well now the luck has run-out and worthingtons true management skills are coming to light (what management skills?? )

my theory...

The season we went up was based on a settled team who were able to keep it tight at the back, we added goals from midfield with Francis and eventually got some real quality up front with Hucks, Svennson and McKenzie.

Last season the club consigned themselves to relegation before the season started. The fact that we didn''t spend £1M+ on at least one player pre-season reflects this. What money Worthy had was badly spent for the most part, then it was apparant that effort and commitment doesn''t cut it at the top level if you ain''t got the quality.

This season we had the opportunity to bring in a few quality signings and make a real go of it. Instead we let players go and replaced them with players who aren''t better, just the same. The fact that we''ve not replaced Francis is an absolute joke. Unfortunately the championship is a lot stronger than two seasons ago, effort and commitment aren''t enough. Look at Sheffield United, they''ve got a good mix of experience and quality and can afford to leave Tonge on the bench. We are happy to play a defender in a midfield position.

20,000+ signed up this season to support the club and they deserved better. Many will vote with their wallets next season if it continues.

Unfortunately, some of us were lulled this year into buying a multi-season ticket - on the basis that the club was serious about getting straight back to the Premiership. I didn''t sign up for 3 years of Brighton and Crewe...   Did you, Delia??? 

I agree with the many comments made on this and other strings.  No-one (I suspect) is saying that Mr W hasn''t done his best - it''s just that this is, sadly, not good enough in the present circumstances. He just hasn''t got either the tactical skill, the psychological subtlety (for example, not playing Ryan Jarvis from the beginning today, after a good performance in difficult circumstances against Luton.  What''s the lad meant to make of that, when he''s also told that his contract will not be renewed at the end of the season unless he proves himself....?) or - it would appear - the inspirational qualities the team needs right now to make the dream of promotion a reality.

For those who think I''m just kicking a man when he''s down, let me say that I take my hat off to him in 2 respects:

1. He''s consistently loyal and supportive about the team in public; very few other managers are. And

2.  He''s always done the transfer business ''behind the scenes'' so that we were only ever given facts rather than hyped possibilities.  That''s not easy.

Both these are really positive traits - but, by themselves, they are not enough.  They don''t win matches.  We need to find - now! - an inspirational leader who can instil confidence in what is, fundamentally, a good team.  

For crying out loud - a team built around Green, Ashton, Huckerby, Safri (when fit), Hughes and Davenport (long term, I hope) should be in with more than a chance of going up.  That''s more than 50% of a decent team!

Something has clearly gone fundamentally wrong - Mr W talked tonight on Radio Norfolk about some team members ''losing their confidence'' and that the whole team needs to get ''back to basics''.  Prime Minister John Major suggested that in 1995, and look what good it did him....

Mr W also said that if the team was looking for sympathy, they wouldn''t get it from him... Can you believe it??????

If they are down or lacking in self-confidence, isn''t it the manager''s job to pick them up????  What school of management did Mr W go to?  The Genghis Khan Academy???

On the Burley, City!!!

Good to see a post looking at the bigger picture ncfc4prem. I agree about the boards approach last season and i have to say i backed them up as i was convinced that they were hoarding a good war chest to have real good go at going straight back up. The reality is that despite the 35m.that promotion was supposed to be worth, we spent little on the squad last year and are actually 2m.up on transfers this year-almost exactly the same as a certain club down the road who are way more in debt than us and have no 6m.parachute payment!!

We have one of the best first 11`s in this division but we DO NOT have one of the best squads. Anyone could see at the start of the season that a couple of injury`s in defence or midfield would cause serious problems. You can get away with playing exceptional players out of position, if however you are basing a supposed drive for promotion around average journeymen played out of position you have no chance.