Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Naismith's got to go

[quote user="Felixfan"]Did not seem interested. No skill no passion no positional awareness. RVW mark2.[/quote]What a load of squit.RvW struggled due to being misused in an unfamiliar role whilst receiving f**k all supply in the process, yet despite this he always gave his best and was a complete professional.Naismith has struggled despite being played where he prefers, has been given plenty of chances to perform in this role and fluffed almost all of them, and who has shown a negative attitude that appears to be impacting on other players (the abuse he was dishing at Murphy despite it being Naismith''s $hit pass that lost possession is a prime example).Slate RvW all you like, but he''s a better player than Naismith, with a better attitude to boot as well...

I don''t get how anyone can defend Van Wolfswinkel as a footballer. He''s failed to make an impression under 5 different managers, in 3 different countries, in 3 different seasons. I refuse to believe all of these managers are getting it totally wrong.

I wish him well because by all accounts he''s a decent person and doesn''t deserve some of the nasty, personal and downright vitriolic abuse he''s received on this forum, but he just isn''t cut out for playing football in England.

He may well go back to Holland and do very well but we must remember that the Dutch Eredivisie has recently been rated statistically as being the 13th weakest league in Europe and therefore place his performances into that context.

Christ are people still doing the RVW thing?

Anyway as for Naismith- I''m going to swallow my pride here and say I was wrong. I thought after the Blackburn game he might kick on but he has been either average or terrible in every game since then. He was played out of position yesterday but did nothing to show why he was given that spot. If he starts against Cardiff I''ll be baffled.

[quote user="king canary"]Christ are people still doing the RVW thing?

Anyway as for Naismith- I''m going to swallow my pride here and say I was wrong. I thought after the Blackburn game he might kick on but he has been either average or terrible in every game since then. He was played out of position yesterday but did nothing to show why he was given that spot. If he starts against Cardiff I''ll be baffled.[/quote]

Agree with this - thought he would be great in the championship.

But what exactly does he do apart from run around?!

He doesn''t even do that very well.

I posted in another thread but he offers nothing that you''d want a centre forward to- no pace, strength or work rate to bother defenders.

In an attacking midfield role he makes some decent runs and his passing can be decent but it''s not consistent enough and quite frankly Wes is better at it.

[quote user="king canary"]Christ are people still doing the RVW thing?[/quote]Don''t blame me, it was Felixfan who decided to launch an unnecessary and frankly unfair attack on the guy for no good reason.

Naismith is a 5 a side footballer on a full size pitch.We should all set up accounts on Sunderland chat rooms to praise him to the highest in the vain hope that Moyes can be persuaded to buy him off us.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="king canary"]Christ are people still doing the RVW thing?

Anyway as for Naismith- I''m going to swallow my pride here and say I was wrong. I thought after the Blackburn game he might kick on but he has been either average or terrible in every game since then. He was played out of position yesterday but did nothing to show why he was given that spot. If he starts against Cardiff I''ll be baffled.[/quote]

Agree with this - thought he would be great in the championship.

But what exactly does he do apart from run around?!
[/quote]Fall over a lot.

Molly Windley wrote:

We should all set up accounts on Sunderland chat rooms to praise him to the highest in the vain hope that Moyes can be persuaded to buy him off us.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It''ll be in vain Molly

I''m afraid we''ve taken a "bath" on this one !

I felt for Naismith yesterday, by all accounts he was pretty dreadful but he isn''t a centre forward and shouldn''t have been playing there.

However, it does raise questions about what value he brings to this squad, particularly given his status as one of the club''s top earners. He can''t play as a striker and I would argue he''s probably the 3rd best No.10 at the club. I can''t see him emulating seasons like Pritchard and West have had at this level before.

So that means he''s either on the bench or you are having to crowbar the Pritchard and Hoolahan into positions which don''t suit them to accommodate him. That unbalances us and compromises us tactically.

I don''t want to make it a personal attack on the player but from a purely footballing perspective, his continued presence in the side is threatening to completely undermine and tear apart everything were hoping to achieve this season.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="king canary"]Christ are people still doing the RVW thing?[/quote]Don''t blame me, it was Felixfan who decided to launch an unnecessary and frankly unfair attack on the guy for no good reason.[/quote]

I make no apologies for comparing him to RVW. They could not make a decent player between them. Both a total waste of money.

[quote user="Felixfan"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="king canary"]Christ are people still doing the RVW thing?[/quote]Don''t blame me, it was Felixfan who decided to launch an unnecessary and frankly unfair attack on the guy for no good reason.[/quote]

I make no apologies for comparing him to RVW. They could not make a decent player between them. Both a total waste of money.[/quote]All £16 million of it ! It makes you want to cry. [:''(]

Every so often a club will quote a silly price for a player they wouldn''t mind keeping. Every so often a silly club will agree to buy at that price.

Naismith doesn''t look to me that he is on top form. But then who else is?  Apart from the first game, the last few league games have seen us give away the ball so much it is criminal - and it''s not just Naismith that is doing it. We''re not scoring either - why is that just down to Naismith? What about all the other players, Howson, Canos, Wes, Murphy, etc etc? Not going to call for his head - but as far as I''m concerned he has something to prove and it is up to him to get out there and do it. 

This thread is hypothetical. He has been yet another expensive disaster and no one in their right minds will take him off our hands. If there is anyone daft enough then we should grab what we can as soon as we can as £8m plus wages is going down the drain week by week

Was Naismith ever really that good? Certainly his career never suggested he''s an £8m player. In 4 years at Everton, he only started roughly 50 matches, there''s clearly a reason for this.

I was surprised that Neil rated him so highly to spend 6 months trying to sign him. I was amazed at the fee he eventually signed for.

He''s a £2/3m player at best and had we paid that for him, I think his career here would be following that at Everton, sitting on the bench more often than not.

Come on Clint, be fair. In the January market, £8m for a proven Premier League performer was the going rate.

I don''t think we overpaid at the time, though he obviously doesn''t look value for money at the moment.

That''s the point Fuzzar, I don''t think he is really a proven premier league performer. If he was, surely he would have played more frequently for Everton, particularly over the last couple of seasons when they have struggled.

I really think in excess of £8m for a 29 year old who has scored 18 goals over the last 4 seasons way too much.

[quote user="king canary"]He doesn''t even do that very well.

I posted in another thread but he offers nothing that you''d want a centre forward to- no pace, strength or work rate to bother defenders.

In an attacking midfield role he makes some decent runs and his passing can be decent but it''s not consistent enough and quite frankly Wes is better at it.[/quote]

Funny how you''ve changed your tune. Is my OP still wrong KC?

[quote user="Alex "]This thread title is just silly!

Seen enough to know that the quality IS there, and think every player should be given a good few months to be allowed to settle in before these stupid threads start.

Happy to be in the minority when I think that Naismith will prove to be a key player for us this campaign - there are signs and good scope for Steven to develop a great partnership with Wes this season, and I can see him banging a few key goals in too. I also like how he took his goal confidently from an angle against Liverpool with his right, then scored a very similar one with his left duke against Rubin Kazan. I have high expectations of him this season 👍[/quote]

What are your thoughts now Alex?