Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Naismith's got to go

I thought he did ok in the 2nd half last Sat and linked up with Wessie quite well.

Can see him starting Sat .

In this Division and provided the correct formation, Naismith & Hoolahan can be utilised in the same eleven and rip it a fresh ars*hole.It''s the defence we need to be concerned about.

This thread title is just silly!

Seen enough to know that the quality IS there, and think every player should be given a good few months to be allowed to settle in before these stupid threads start.

Happy to be in the minority when I think that Naismith will prove to be a key player for us this campaign - there are signs and good scope for Steven to develop a great partnership with Wes this season, and I can see him banging a few key goals in too. I also like how he took his goal confidently from an angle against Liverpool with his right, then scored a very similar one with his left duke against Rubin Kazan. I have high expectations of him this season 👍

[quote user="Alex "]This thread title is just silly!

Seen enough to know that the quality IS there, and think every player should be given a good few months to be allowed to settle in before these stupid threads start.

Happy to be in the minority when I think that Naismith will prove to be a key player for us this campaign - there are signs and good scope for Steven to develop a great partnership with Wes this season, and I can see him banging a few key goals in too. I also like how he took his goal confidently from an angle against Liverpool with his right, then scored a very similar one with his left duke against Rubin Kazan. I have high expectations of him this season 👍[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more. Everton fans love him, that''s not because he''s a sub standard player.

Alex wrote:

Seen enough to know that the quality IS there, and think every player should be given a good few months to be allowed to settle in before these stupid threads start. Happy to be in the minority when I think that Naismith will prove to be a key player for us this campaign - there are signs and good scope for Steven to develop a great partnership with Wes this season, and I can see him banging a few key goals in too. I also like how he took his goal confidently from an angle against Liverpool with his right, then scored a very similar one with his left duke against Rubin Kazan. I have high expectations of him this season

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you''re in the minority then how can this thread be stupid ?

every player should be given a few good months ??? Thought we recruited him last season !

Also I don''t give a flying sausage what Everton fans think 

Six Pack,

More people, or the majority, are currently supporting Trump over other future presidential candidates in the US? And yes, they''re stupid.

We did recruit him last season, he had his few months then, and I expect him to be good to go now - hence my comments.

He''s not looked like he''s good to go now in preseason, more like he''s just carried on from last year.

It could just be that he''s not that good, some players do lose form as they age, others don''t.

The point is though Indy, that the season has not been played yet, so it''s a rather bold statement to say ''Naismiths got to go!'' - if at the end of this seasons campaign he''s offered nothing then fair enough but as it stands a competitive ball has not been kicked in this league so for that reason I''m more than happy to see what happens. Some have decided he''ll be useless, I think he''ll be a quite important this season - time will tell 👍

Alex.

The thread is about a football player at our club. Leave your extreme political examples out of it. They do not compare !

Naismith has had 3.5 months.  Playing him ahead of key players has costed us !

I get what you say and I''ve also said elsewhere if AN can get him motivated and back to somewhere near his best Naismith is a real asset but we''ve yet to see it!

On a side note, if we repeat last season and fail to sign a couple good strikers then we need a motivated Naismith to contribute in goals!

Let''s wait to see as we kick off in 5 days.......fingers crossed we hit the ground running.

IMO, you have to back of Naismith and give him 12 games, the first 12 games of this season are as important I can remember if we are to have any chance of getting back up, Lets face it if AN plays Naismith in every one of the opening 12games or so it could well decide what the future is for both, if we are in a top 4 position then everything in the garden will be fine, if not it could well be bye bye.

In truth I think we are in a better position, a chairman who seems to have a fresh approach in not being afraid to speculate, a new CEO on the horizon and a young hungry manager who could well be a huge success (appreciate could go the other way just as easily, personally I cant wait for Saturday and feel we will win (unusually for an opening day) and Naismith will score.

Six Pack,

Haha, surely you''re not so stupid that you couldn''t see the ''extreme political example'' was a simple analogy that the majority do not always have the most sensible opinion (as you intimated!). Sorry if you''re a Trump supporter though 😉

And totally agree Indy (and Gordon!) - before Matt and others make silly statements like this, let''s see what happens in these first 10-12 games. It was quite a big move for him last season, wife due to give birth etc etc - let''s just give him the benefit of the doubt, especially as we are playing in a lower division this season buddy 👍

[quote user="Cobain18"]Good to see we have a scapegoat before the season has started. I''d suggest getting behind the guy and seeing what he can do at this level instead of slating him for what was an exercise in increasing fitness.

Naismith didn''t perform last season but neither did a few and he was new to a squad that were on a losing run ..... Not an easy situation. Let''s not make this season difficult for him before we''ve even seen him play a competitive match![/quote]

I''ve seen him play a lot of competitive matches Cobain and I''m not impressed at all.

The point I''m making here, and I probably wasn''t clear, is that I don''t want to see Naismith ahead of Wes in the central role. I don''t believe he offers anywhere near enough, as evidenced last season.

Wes offers so much more, as will I think Maddison too.

[quote user="Alex "]This thread title is just silly!

Happy to be in the minority when I think that Naismith will prove to be a key player for us this campaign - there are signs and good scope for Steven to develop a great partnership with Wes this season, and I can see him banging a few key goals in too. I also like how he took his goal confidently from an angle against Liverpool with his right, then scored a very similar one with his left duke against Rubin Kazan. I have high expectations of him this season 👍[/quote]

I chose to base my opinion, not on his one goal v Pool or the friendly v Rubin, but rather his inept, ineffective contributions for the rest of last season, doing absolutely f*** all to halt our slide out the trap door.

I saw the same Naismith on Saturday and IMO I don''t expect too much else from him this season. Good squad backup but there''s no way he should start over Wes in the 10 role, and I''d rather see Maddison there, admittedly this is all based on his assist v Cov as I haven''t seen much of him, but I''ve seen plenty of Naismith and I am not impressed.

Hucks the same can be said of, Andrue, Jarvis and Mulumbu, all seriously under performed for AN, so is it that AN isn''t the motivational manager some think he is or are the players all just shite!?

[quote user="Alex "]The point is though Indy, that the season has not been played yet, so it''s a rather bold statement to say ''Naismiths got to go!'' - if at the end of this seasons campaign he''s offered nothing then fair enough but as it stands a competitive ball has not been kicked in this league so for that reason I''m more than happy to see what happens. Some have decided he''ll be useless, I think he''ll be a quite important this season - time will tell 👍[/quote]

It''s called having an opinion. Happy to be proven wrong, I want to cheer for Naismith but he just infuriates me, as he did yet again v Hannover with his 3 fluffed chances.

Carrying on exactly where he left off.

Wes on the other hand shows how it''s done. And the point is AN is still trying Naismith central and I just don''t like it, I dont like it at all.

Like a lot of our squad, it''s promotion or bust. If Naismith doesn''t get 10-15 goals to help us achieve that then we''ll have wasted a lot of money. There''s no room for long injury layoffs, or lengthy periods without scoring.

As it happens Matt, I too wouldn''t play Naismith over Wes either, just I wouldn''t wrote off Naismith''s potential contribution just yet. Maddison I''ve got a really good feeling about - you get the impression he has all the right attributes to become an absolutely superb attacking midfielder and will not be surprised in the slightest if he ends up turning heads this season 👍

Alex

so give Naismith 12 games eh ?

How about Trump - you going give him a probation term ? or just dismiss him on instinct ?

Six pack,

Can I see Naismith''s form improving, especially in a lower league with a full pre season behind him? Why not!

Can I see Donald Trump having a frontal lobotomy and suddenly morphing from cracked up racist egomaniac narcissist to rational and moderately sane human being safe to lead one of the worlds super powers? Absolutely not!

No one''s going to take him off our hands anyway, so a pointless thread.

Personally I think he''ll do alright this season, but personally I''d prefer Wes through the middle.

Wes not scoring enough when played central when playing behind a striker has always been a problem

Part of the reason why we got Naismith was to help that.

Wes has always been a bit of a luxury in that respect and pretty much always will be.

For me he worked best at the top of a diamond where we don''t rely on him scoring as much

And I wouldn''t read too much into him scoring in friendly games

The simple reason AN isn''t playing him central is lack of goals simple as that it''s why were desperate for another more clinical striker

@Mickdundee

I don''t think it is simply lack of goals- Wes''s style of play is always likely to leave a lone striker a bit isolated as he tends to drift and drop deep in order to get the ball and better influence play. This leads to a situation whereby you either have to have one of your wingers tucking in to get closer to the striker or you need someone breaking from deep to support them. Naismith more naturally stays close to the striker.

I don''t think Wes being a nominal wide player is a bad idea- I think him and Naismith will both drift into each others positions and if we keep Olsson he is good enough to provide width down the left. This however does rely on our central midfielders being quick enough to provide cover if Olsson pushes forward and on Wes or Naismith being willing to track back if the opposition break.

The worry though is when we start to factor Canos into this formation. His natural inclination is to cut inside so with him, Wes and Naismith all starting that we will likely become too narrow and easy to defend against. This becomes more of an issue if we also factor in McCormack.

I''d actually be tempted to start with Josh Murphy on the left (if Brady has gone) with Naismith and Wes swapping between central and wide right roles. This gives us a natural winger and left footer on one flank and gives us fluidity on the other. It would however put a lot of emphasis on our central midfielders not getting caught up field and being able to cover Pinto on the right as he would be left a bit exposed.

this is a prime example of AN in the transfer dept

he signs a player like naismith has no real role for him in the team

no position for naismith to fill and doesnt really fit in with our the style of play

leading to naismith now without really a position to make his own as wes will play No 10 making naismith a sub or rotation with wes

Not really what i think Naismith wanted and maybe why he looks like maybe regrets his move here

Geez Alex,

I wasn''t serious - you didn''t need to answer.

You''re not that stupid not to realise that

or to take the title of threads seriously

[quote user="Indy"]Hucks the same can be said of, Andrue, Jarvis and Mulumbu, all seriously under performed for AN, so is it that AN isn''t the motivational manager some think he is or are the players all just shite!?[/quote]

Jarvis performed much better than most from our club and WHU thought would (when fit, anyway) and I''m quite excited to see what he can do at this level. Mulumbu was just a scouting mistake, we should have believed that his contract was run down for a reason. he may be able to do a job here but with tettey, howson, and dorrans fighting for the positions that Mulumbu can fill - his chances will be few and far between.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]No one''s going to take him off our hands anyway, so a pointless thread.

Personally I think he''ll do alright this season, but personally I''d prefer Wes through the middle.[/quote]

I wouldn''t even say thats 100% true.

you can''t tell me that if the club made it known Naismith was up for loan this season, we wouldn''t have a list of middle-lower tier prem teams come knocking for him. And that honestly speaks volumes about the class of the player itself.

And for the record I too, want wes starting the season. But having two top players fighting for a spot with a young player with an extraordinary amount of potential waiting for them to slip up - that''s the type of competition we need to keep players from becoming complacent.