Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Naismith's got to go

I don''t think Naismith is anywhere near as bad as a few people suggest but I do agree that it seems like we''re trying to force him and Wes into the same team when it seems like they don''t fit together.

It seems like Neil wants to play three attack midfielders in quite a narrow formation and I''m not sure it is going to work. I think Naismith would suit a more direct team than one that wants to play it''s way through defences.

Could field a good side with players fans have said have got to go....

Ruddy

Whittaker

Martin

Bassong

Redmond

Snodgrass

to name but a few, sure i have missed more than i have listed ?

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Could field a good side with players fans have said have got to go...[/quote]That''s pretty much every player on our books, given the short-termist nature of some ''fans'' on here... [:)]

Naismith is a cultured player who will be an important part of our promotion push. He''s different from Wes in that he is part AM part striker and that suits the side we have now and the way AN wants to play. IMO, he and Wes work well together, but that doesn''t suit those who want old style 4-4-2 wingers putting killer crosses into the penalty area. Against packed defences, that''s a very low percentage tactic.

We have people on here saying Naismith will be an important player for us, a key player this season. Why is an important player ? How is he key ?

His primary role is to score goals. That is why he was brought to the club, not link play from midfield. He never linked play for Everton. He''s absolutely pants at it.

We need him to score goals. He needs to get forward alongside Jerome and score 25 + goals. We don''t need him playing a role he is not cut out for. We have experts for those roles.

How is he class people ? What premiership class ?

All the players at some time get criticised - that comes with the territory of being a professional sportsman.

If we need a midfielder to pass the ball from deep, we have Dorrans don''t we ? He plays that role & does it well - so we need Naismith to play his role. He needs impose himself as a goal scorer. He won''t do that passing the ball backwards rather than making space for a shot. As a premiership player you never see him dribble the ball and take on his man. He does not look to have the guile to do that.

He does give it his all - that part I like but with no pace, shot or trickery I think Jackson, Hooper & Grabban are all better players than him.

Why did Everton fans rate him so highly if he is no good?? Look around the internet and you see all sorts of tributes to him.  It''s still early days imo, only fully fit this season and only four games in.  His goal record over recent seasons has been one goal every five matches and he is on;y one goal off that for us.  Overall in his career it''s around one in four and I would think he would do that for us this season, giving us around 12 goals this season - good for an attacking midfielder.    Give him a chance!!!!

It is still early days.  But he''s now playing against lower quality players, and in matches where we are dominating possession, e.g. 60% Sunday in a game when we didn''t play that well. 

In these sort of games, I am hoping Naismith will be able to add some quality to our link up play in/around the box, create more chances, and generally add to some class above the usual Championship outfit.  He''s meant to be a good player by Prem standards, so he should really be able to shine in the Champs.  And he''s had plenty of time on the ball, & it''s not as if he''s been closed down or marked out of games - opposition have been more focused on Wes than him, for practical reasons.

So far he''s not delivered.  Sunday it was hard to identify any real contribution from him.  And having a go at other players for things which aren''t their fault only makes it worse.

I can see him losing his place on Saturday, but even if not, he''s on borrowed time to up his performance level if he wants to remain a starter.

Snodgrass'' stats were impressive for a midfielder.

Snodgrass contributed more to Norwich City than Naismith has so far.

How come you were on Snodgrass'' back but yet are pleading that Naismith should get a chance?

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Snodgrass'' stats were impressive for a midfielder.

Snodgrass contributed more to Norwich City than Naismith has so far.

How come you were on Snodgrass'' back but yet are pleading that Naismith should get a chance?[/quote]Why bring Snodgrass into this thread?  I didn''t rate him as a team player and said so even before he came to Norwich, but that is for another thread.  Naismith is still relatively new to us, only fully fit this season and only four games in.  Deserves a bit more of a chance to show his worth imo. Writing him of at this stage is bonkers.

If the bar is set so low for the 2nd forward (or player off the main striker) we have no dog show of getting promoted. 1 in every 4 or 5 games is ok for a below mid table club. If we have the resources to go straight back up we should use those.

We can''t wait for a player with low energy levels that makes him look unfit to come right cos he''s not going to. He had the chance last season to show if he had ability. After 3 months of rest he should have hit the ground running. A premiership class player could carry this club on his shoulders - but the other players appear to be carrying him.

BJ scored 17 goals last promotion campaign. Yet 12 shows he''s a good player. Most Everton fans I speak to say he doesn''t fit into their structure. Reading between the lines - it means that he''s not good enough & is a reserve. I form my own judgement though. We have a better player in each of the 11 positions on the pitch. A reserve we can carry - but not I one on the pitch for the next 42 games because it is detrimental to our promotion chances.

I agree that Naismith deserves a bit more of a chance to show his worth, but I would still rather have £8m in the bank.

I thought that his contribution to our attacking intent on Sunday was a bit detrimental at times, but then I didn''t really get the narrowness of our tactics from the outset.

Perhaps SN needs one of those hat-tricks he famously got for Everton to really kick-start his City career or perhaps a move to Sunderland would best suit everybody.

He is an impact player, in old money he is a super sub.Bring him off the bench and his non conforming style of play upsets defenses and he sometimes makes the difference.Put him into a starting eleven and he just does not fit.Story of his career at Everton and so far the story here.If we had not paid £8 million he would be warming the bench every game just like Lafferty

I just Wiki''d him and a few interesting facts appeared.

He joined Everton for free in the same way that we got Whittaker after the Rangers debacle. Nice profit for them then.

He played over 100 games for the Toffees, although a great number of these must have been from the bench.

He started his career as an out and out striker and only latterly has been used in a less forward role.

Once scored the "perfect hat-trick"(shots with his left and right foot and a header) against Chelsea in the PL.

Does extensive charity work.

It all reads well but and suggests that he should be a big hit in the Chumps.

Still rather have the £8m though.

Also premiership class - what is that ???

Naismith scoring with only the keeper to beat or

Hoolahan running into packed opposition penalty area, shimmied twice to clear a path and put it into bottom corner or

Murphy turning his man inside out and then blasting it into the top corner from 25 yards out.

What does premiership class actually mean ??

In the game against Sheffield. up to 2 or 3 defenders teaming

up on Hoolahan. Couldn''t Naismith find a gap ? He should have been completely free & unmarked !

Some people here must be kidding !

I think Naismith''s been alright but he''s always going to be compared to his 8 million fee which he''s going to find hard to live up to.

So the Naismith update a few games later seems to be status quo and more of the same lacklustre performances.

The problem isnt that Naismith is a poor player, the problem is the impact he is having on our attack.

He is in an extremely key position and he is just not delivering. We need more from the player in his position, especially when we have Jerome upfront who, whilst he will get us a few goals and work hard, i just dont see him worrying defences very much, doesnt hold the ball up well due to a poor first touch, and of course no pace.

So we have no pace from Naismith, no invention and no goals, and we have no pace from Jerome, or touch or hold up play.

I just dont see this attacking duo being enough to get us promotion and the sooner we get back to Wes central and Maddison/Pritchard deputising, with an Mbokani or A N Other upfront, a more pacy dynamic EFFECTIVE strike partnership, the happier ill be and the better our chances.

Weve started well because of the excellent midfield and defence, but 6 months of lacklustre and boring Naismith and Jerome and ive seen more than enough, and im a sick of it. We look boring and ineffective in attack unless Wes is on the ball.

Better yes. But isn''t he also our record signing, not Klose?

So the Naismith out bandwagon seems to be gathering pace.

I am interested to hear the opinions of the people who slated my OP stating how great Naismith was going to be in the Championship.

He will be the demise of AN if he doesn''t drop him and start playing Wes or Maddison behind Jerome or Oliveira.

Very disappointing from Naismith so far this season, but a lot of Everton fans said he was a notorious slow starter, much like Iwan for us.

Just out of interest, what did you think about Hoolahan and Lafferty''s performances today Mr. Podcast?