Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Naismith's got to go

A stunning goal v Coventry and a top quality brace today against very good opposition.

Hannover could well be a lower Prem side, and Wes was outstanding with his two goals.

Naismith on the other hand was his typical woeful self. Yes of course it was a friendly, but it could have been Coventry today and I think we would have gotten the same performance from him.

I just don''t get it and I don''t get what Alex Neil sees in him. It seems like just because he''s Scottish and cost £8.5m that he plays and that''s that.

Our attack, like last season just looks lacklustre, slow and disjointed with Naismith central. I don''t want to see him there ahead of Wes ever again.

Today he had 3 chances and made a complete mess of all 3. Wes on the other hand has taken his 3 goals this week from that central position fantastically and he seems to have returned from the Euros with the missing piece that has stopped him joining the big clubs all these years. Goals and confidence.

Yes yes yes it''s only a friendly, but I saw this far too much last season. Naismith central doing absolutely fxxx all the entire game, our attack pathetic and Wes out wide or worse still on the bench.

I don''t like hating on one player, I love City and I want to cheer for Naismith. He just infuriates me every game, and the fact he still seems to have the nod over Wes in that central spot baffles me with AN.

Wes has simply got to play there as long as he is fit and able to and Naismith has got to go. We will not gain promotion if Naismith spends any serious time this season in Wes''s 10 role.

It''s a long season. WES is in form now and should go straight in but......

If he can get himself motivated, is a solid player, just get the impression he never really wanted to come and hasn''t fully bought into us just yet.

If AN can get his A game then we could see the Naismith against Liverpool.

Have to say that as an older pro, I think I''d probably find it hard to get motivated to give anywhere near 100% in preseason friendlies, they are just a means to an end, ie getting minutes and match fitness, and far too many read far too much into them.

Someone today said they should all be played behind closed doors, and I know precisely what he meant.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I think I''d probably find it hard to get motivated to give anywhere near 100% in preseason friendlies......[/quote]Matt always gets motivated with pre-season friendlies. [:$]

Indy and Branston disagree with this completely, Wes and others looked plenty motivated, and Naismith looked just like he did in every Prem game last season after the Pool debut.

Slow, lazy, ineffective and just an overall lack of quality every time he''s on the ball.

...sounds to me like you ought to give friendlies a miss, save the ££ until the proper games. I gave up on them as a guide to the season 20 years+ ago when I saw new star signing Darren Beckford look fantastic in scoring a hat-trick, only for him

to then be extremely ordinary for the rest of his time with us.

Naismith was clean through with just the keeper to beat, but for some reason decided to hold the ball up instead of attempt to score a goal. I think he''s just lost that yard of pace and confidence that he had before his knee injuries.Naismith will score in the Champs, maybe 10 goals or so. But I can''t see him being much use beyond this season.

Can''t believe this post, looks like Huckerby''s Boots should go. It''s a feckin friendly, get some perspective you remi.

To be honest though, the players that seriously impress in pre-season, tend to be the ones who are either leaving or desperate to impress. Everyone else just uses it to get their fitness up.The best Norwich players I ever saw in pre-season were Adam Drury (didn''t get a look in versus Marc Tierney), Chris Martin & James Vaughan (both sold shortly after)

[quote user="STFU"]Can''t believe this post, looks like Huckerby''s Boots should go. It''s a feckin friendly, get some perspective you remi.[/quote]

Missing the point so well done.

While others were putting there foot on the gas we saw the same ineffective Naismith that we did last season. This is as good as it gets from him, he''s a carthorse and if you think he has much more to offer your mistaken.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]...sounds to me like you ought to give friendlies a miss, save the ££ until the proper games. I gave up on them as a guide to the season 20 years+ ago when I saw new star signing Darren Beckford look fantastic in scoring a hat-trick, only for him

to then be extremely ordinary for the rest of his time with us.[/quote]

Friendly or Prem, this is all were gonna get from Naismith. I made my mind up on him last season, he showed nothing today to change that and I don''t think this season he will show anything else. He''s washed up and I reckon come January AN will have lost patience. Especially with in form Wes and the promising Maddison around.

STFU wrote:

Can''t believe this post, looks like Huckerby''s Boots should go. It''s a feckin friendly, get some perspective you remi.

..........................................................................................................................

Ok it''s a friendly fine, now what''s your excuse for his sub-standard performances in the premiership last season ???

Trying to get some perspective here !

Trying to shoe horn Naismith in last season at the expense of Wes was part of our downfall.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Indy and Branston disagree with this completely, Wes and others looked plenty motivated, and Naismith looked just like he did in every Prem game last season after the Pool debut.

Slow, lazy, ineffective and just an overall lack of quality every time he''s on the ball.[/quote]

I agree, but my point is about motivation, if he continues like he has then how can anyone argue with your point. Let''s hope the Championship games get him going, if not it''s another huge sum of money wasted.

But give him 10 games then let''s come back and comment.

He''s no ball artist.

Either him or £8m and I''d prefer the latter.

He should ruffle a few feathers next season and, on occasions might be just what is needed, but he doesn''t strike me as Premier League class.

I understand why we bought him; as a catalyst to connecting midfield with a lone striker in a team struggling to perform. At his best he can be awesome; right now however, it''s like watching someone trying to light a fire with only one flint...

I fully expect him to start the first game of the season at Blackburn. He''ll probably play in the number 10 role with Wes playing notionally off the left hand side. To be fair, given our limited resources on the left, Wes will pretty much have to play out there by default at the moment.

The time to judge Naismith is after a decent run of games in the Championship. If he isn''t producing the goods after a full pre season and a drop down in level then it would be time to give Maddison a go or move Wes back centrally (if alternatives on the left are available by then).

By all accounts he was excellent in the game against Rubin Kazan and took his goal very well. So he''s not been horrific during pre season by any stretch of the imagination.

I expect him to be a very useful player for us this season. Obviously if it turns out not to be the case itll be a real shame as he was purchased with all the right intentions.

[quote user="Clint"]Trying to shoe horn Naismith in last season at the expense of Wes was part of our downfall.[/quote]

Spot on

We down because of the Klose injury and Naismith being used ahead of Wes central.

The championship is an awfully long season. No way can Wes play 2 games a week every week.

We will need players like Naismith. The reason we did so well last time was we had a large squad with lots of depth.

Be absolute madness to get rid of a proven prem player.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="Clint"]Trying to shoe horn Naismith in last season at the expense of Wes was part of our downfall.[/quote]

Spot on

We down because of the Klose injury and Naismith being used ahead of Wes central.[/quote]A missed opportunity to blame Martin and Bassong don''t you think ?

I have slated Naismith in the past and whilst I have not been impressed so far, he plays better when Wes is on the pitch. They appear to be capable of reading each other''s movement.

I can''t decide if he is poor, or the rest of the team don''t yet read his movement well enough for his quality to show. This must be frustrating for the lad, but hopefully it will improve.

I am going to get behind him, as playing against his own crowd is not going to help him or us.

Well he wasn''t useless and ineffective in his time at either Rangers or Everton. If he proves to be those things with us I would suggest there is a deeper problem with our club ruining strikers.....after all, that''s what Naismith was before he joined Everton.....

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="Clint"]Trying to shoe horn Naismith in last season at the expense of Wes was part of our downfall.[/quote]

Spot on

We down because of the Klose injury and Naismith being used ahead of Wes central.[/quote]

I am one of Hoolahan''s biggest fans but he didn''t have a particularly great time of things just before Naismith signed. So I think that''s an unfair stick to beat Naismith with.

Two of our most enterprising attacking displays last season were Watford and Liverpool where Naismith played at 10 and Wes from the left. I''d have no issue with seeing that at times this season particularly at Carrow Road.

Good to see we have a scapegoat before the season has started. I''d suggest getting behind the guy and seeing what he can do at this level instead of slating him for what was an exercise in increasing fitness.

Naismith didn''t perform last season but neither did a few and he was new to a squad that were on a losing run ..... Not an easy situation. Let''s not make this season difficult for him before we''ve even seen him play a competitive match!

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]...sounds to me like you ought to give friendlies a miss, save the ££ until the proper games. I gave up on them as a guide to the season 20 years+ ago when I saw new star signing Darren Beckford look fantastic in scoring a hat-trick, only for him

to then be extremely ordinary for the rest of his time with us.[/quote]

Friendly or Prem, this is all were gonna get from Naismith. I made my mind up on him last season, he showed nothing today to change that and I don''t think this season he will show anything else. He''s washed up and I reckon come January AN will have lost patience. Especially with in form Wes and the promising Maddison around.[/quote]

if you made your mind up on him last season then no matter how he performed during pre season (which shouldn''t go in to anyones consideration, anyway.) wouldn''t of changed a thing, would it?

naismith can do more than a job at this level.

on a brighter side nice to see that I took a few months off here and nothing has seemed to change