Sign in to follow this  
True Grit

Scouting essentials

Hi,

As some of you may know I''ve been working for a major FL72 club (i cant name the club due to contractual obligations) as a scout for the the last year, which is why I haven''t been posting content on the forum (sorry guys). I have a number of prospects on my books and am looking forward to a successful transfer period before deadline day.

A number of users have messaged me asking about scouting so I thought I should share some knowledge and tips. The thread will be a platform for good practice in terms of how to be a successful scout.

If you have any questions, please don''t hesitate to ask.

To start here are some fundamentals:

1) wear appropriate clothing - you will be working outside a lot, pack a suitable jacket and keep a spare in your car.

2) keep your car serviced regularly - you will be doing a lot of milage. Check wheel nuts and tyre pressures every 100 miles. Carry oil and washer fluid to top up where necessary.

3) change your appearance regularly - clubs (especially lower tier) can be hostile towards scouts, at the end of the day they want to keep their best players. Grow a beard, shave it off, wear hats, different clothing, etc.

That should get you started, I will post more content over the course of the season and answer any questions I possibly can.

Best,

True Grit

True Grit...With that profile picture of Glen Rodent, no one will take you seriously. Grow a beard / shave it off? Hahaha.

Things have certainly changed since my scouting days. Back in the 70s all you needed were the lyrics to "Ging gang goolie'', a compass and a tub of vaseline.

I think your club could well be upset with this valuable information that you have leaked. Probably best that you disguise yourself.

Would you consider wearing a wig to attract new prospects?

Looks like the days of scouts ringing club secretaries for complimentary tickets are over in order to attend games.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]True Grit...With that profile picture of Glen Rodent, no one will take you seriously. Grow a beard / shave it off? Hahaha.[/quote]

And whys that? Becuase he didn''t fit the ''yes man'' mould our club championed for so long. Glenn wouldn''t accept the soft-dynamic of trying to please the board and fans before anything else, including winning football matches. Yes, he rattled some cages while he was here, but if you want to wake a sleeping tiger, you need to rattle his cage. Unfortunately Glenn was given 11 bunny rabbits to work with, so when he shook their cages all he got in response was round balls of feces. Look how Sheffield Wednesday have responded to Glenn whilst he''s been on the consortium, unlucky not to be in the premier league and will surely challenge us for a promotional place this season. They call Sheffield the steel city, they are tough, hardy, gritty - we certainly had none of these attributes back then, we weren''t ready for Glenn.

[quote user="True Grit"] Look how Sheffield Wednesday have responded to Glenn whilst he''s been on the consortium, unlucky not to be in the premier league and will surely challenge us for a promotional place this season. They call Sheffield the steel city, they are tough, hardy, gritty - we certainly had none of these attributes back then, we weren''t ready for Glenn.[/quote]Is this the same Glen Roeder who left Sheff Wed last December and has been at Stevenage since March. Oh and can you remind us where Sheff Wed were last December in the Championship ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="True Grit"] Look how Sheffield Wednesday have responded to Glenn whilst he''s been on the consortium, unlucky not to be in the premier league and will surely challenge us for a promotional place this season. They call Sheffield the steel city, they are tough, hardy, gritty - we certainly had none of these attributes back then, we weren''t ready for Glenn.[/quote]Is this the same Glen Roeder who left Sheff Wed last December and has been at Stevenage since March. Oh and can you remind us where Sheff Wed were last December in the Championship ?[/quote]

been so busy working, I missed this. I''m sure he will crack some heads together at Stevenage - they''re in for a good season.

Anyway, another tip here

When scouting it''s very important to make notes on players. Use words you will easily be able to refer to when looking back for reference- skillful, pacey, tough, etc. There''s nothing more embarrassing than not knowing what you''re talking about when the manager or director of football calls you asking for updates. I use a Samsung galaxy tablet to make notes, as it comes with a stylus - but always, ALWAYS, take anologue back up (pen and paper).. I can''t stress this enough, becuase of that battery fails in the 37th minute, you''ll be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Many thanks Rodent/Barton lover.

I would always think that it''s better to charge your tablet before using it for work, or perhaps trying to remember what you have just seen. Might be a give away if you have just shaved your beard off as a disguise.

True Grit makes some very valid points, although I''m a bit concerned his back-up solution of pen and paper may not work well if it''s raining.

Top tip solution = use a pencil and take a clear plastic bag to cover the paper and your hand while writing.

Apples

I''m really grateful to True Grit for sharing this valuable information. It''s probably only a snippet of his vast experience as a football scout but I''m hoping more will follow. Possibly even a book. He''s already disclosed information that none of us would  ever have thought of. Thank you TG and keep up the good work. [Y]

Rodent was the worst manager ever and here are some of my favourite memories.

"If you don''t like loans - hard luck!" - yes, he was talking to the fans

" I inherited my worst ever squad" - which included top scorers from Championship and Czech league plus 3 club legends.

"We''ve got the two best full backs in the league" not Adam Drury, two youngsters on loan.

"Lee Clark is not leaving" just before he left

"Not good enough - he missed chances" Classic de-motivation on Cureton after he scored a hat-trick. It worked too, he didn''t score again for Rodent and was loaned to Barnsley for whom he scored the goals that relegated us.

"Tweedledum and Tweedledee" Chris Martin and Spillane before he tried to get rid.

"Keeping Norwich up has been my greatest achievement"

No thanks to the players then.

Mr Apples, I think the plastic bag will be more useful if placed over True Grit''s head and secured tightly.

Some great prospects seen today. Now writing up my reports. Good news is that the club I''m working for has signed two of my recommendations this week - nice bit of commission for yours truly, but it''s really not about that for me - if you''re just doing it for the money forget it, scouting is a life style I''m passionate about.

[quote user="True Grit"]Some great prospects seen today. Now writing up my reports. Good news is that the club I''m working for has signed two of my recommendations this week - nice bit of commission for yours truly, but it''s really not about that for me - if you''re just doing it for the money forget it, scouting is a life style I''m passionate about.[/quote]
That''s good to hear, do you get any further commission if they''re sold on at a huge profit? 

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="True Grit"]Some great prospects seen today. Now writing up my reports. Good news is that the club I''m working for has signed two of my recommendations this week - nice bit of commission for yours truly, but it''s really not about that for me - if you''re just doing it for the money forget it, scouting is a life style I''m passionate about.[/quote]
That''s good to hear, do you get any further commission if they''re sold on at a huge profit? 
[/quote]

Can''t go into details in terms of financials as I would breach contractual obligations.

Mr Grit, is it important to use a toilet before kickoff so you don''t have to pop out during the game?

What are your thoughts on the half time number 1 or number 2? I heard that serious scouts are divided by this, some popping out and being ridiculed by the hard nosed ultra scouts.