Sign in to follow this  
Plastic Scouser

Open Letter to Dicky

Dear Dicky

I like many others on this board are of the persuasion that the current manager is either nearing the end of his shelf life or has passed it. You on the other hand appear to be convinced that he should remain at the club and has plenty of good work to do.

Now all I see from you on this board at the moment are short, sarcastic and not infrequently semi-insulting comments. Would you do us all the favour of replyin to this thread with a sensible, literate and mature answer as to where you see this club going and why you feel that we "Worthy-haters" are so wrong. Please prove me wrong when I say that I don''t believe you''ve got any argument to back up your little cynical comments, I''d love (along with plenty of others) to have a good, sensible debate about the future of the club that we all love so much.

Yours

Plastic Scouser.

Well done Plastic Scouser!
I too am irritated by Dickys flip, rose coloured view that everything in the Carrow Road garden is wonderful and it is somehow disloyal to constructively challenge matters.
I have been a Worthington sceptic from day one as there did not seem to be any mature selection process leading to his appointment and the feeling was that he was able to talk his way into the job because he was on the spot and inexpensive. (The Howard Wilkinson heritage didn''t reassure me either.)
The same could have been said about Mike Walker in his first spell - which shows that personnel selection can never be an exact science!
However, M.W. had a strategy to get the best out of the players at his disposal, learned quickly on the job and City were one of the most tactically astute sides in the embryonic Premiership; whereas the current incumbent, embarrassingly, is still wearing giant ''L plates'' in most areas of the job.
I would be more sanguine if I felt that the man had an overarching vision which was being temporarily hijacked by injuries, missed penalties and bad luck.
The truth is the team, even after all this time, are short term''ism personified, stuttering along with different formations tried despite evidence that they do not work, team members not given an opportunity to give of their best by being played in the wrong position...need I go on?
Like Plastic Scouser it gives me no pleasure to crititicise a club I have supported all my life - hell I actually went to Barry Staton''s testimonial in the 60s and had to sleep on a bench in London''s Regent''s Park as I knew I wouldn''t be able to get back to my Surrey home - but I fear without grass roots pressure, the board will allow things to get into an advanced stage of decay before acting.

[quote]Well done Plastic Scouser! I too am irritated by Dickys flip, rose coloured view that everything in the Carrow Road garden is wonderful and it is somehow disloyal to constructively challenge matters. ...[/quote]

Are you only sing when we are winning fans thers seems to be a lot of them on these boards

[quote]Are you only sing when we are winning fans thers seems to be a lot of them on these boards[/quote]

And here is dickys twin - a one liner insulting a fellow fan - thanks for the contribution allways.

My thanks to amarillo and barclayendboy who actually took some time out to contribute to a debate rather than give one line response - it makes for a much better board - give it a goes, whats the worst that can happen?

OTBC

Hi Scouser. I was thinking that you, along with a great number of us, are buried in pessimism. You, my friend, are an eternal optimist. Here I am, trying to get an answer from Dicky on two simple questions that only require a yes or no answer, while you are seeking a whole paragraph, at least, supported by logical thinking. I think the odds of you getting such a response are as good as Norwich getting automatic promotion this season. In other words, not a chance in hell.

I''m going to stick my two penn''th in again I''m afraid. I support the current management. I''m not calling for change... although I know quite a few are.

This is because I think Worthy HAS taken the club a long way forward from where it was in the late 90s. We''re not world-beaters, and Worthy makes some decisions that I find strange. But I do think that over the past few seasons he''s generally got the most from the players and we have achieved what several predecessors did not. For example you can argue that Flem was not up to Prem standard, fine. Worthy never claimed he was, and I would argue that he got as much out of him as he could. Should he have made other, better signings? Possibly, but we don''t know who they tried to sign, and we do know that plenty of other good managers have been relegated from the Prem.

I temper people''s comments about Worthy''s mistakes by reading other fans'' message boards too - and they universally make the same complaints about their manager, so it''s unlikely that changing manager will change the fact that people often don''t agree with substitutions, formations, signings, tactics. Even Mourihno is getting criticised for his style of play!

As for ambition, it all rather depends on whether you think we are basically a Prem club that is below where we should be, or are we a Championship club that aspires to be in the Prem again? We''d all like to think that we''re the former, but I suspect we''re the latter. If we can shed this ''we should be walking this league'' attitude then we might get somewhere. We weren''t good enough to stay in the Prem, so we''re currently where we should be, trying to improve.

[quote]And here is dickys twin - a one liner insulting a fellow fan - thanks for the contribution allways. My thanks to amarillo and barclayendboy who actually took some time out to contribute to a debate r...[/quote]

One liners can sometimes get the message across pretty plainly.No matter how many paragrauphs i write all you worthy out brigade just cant seem to grasp what i have been trying to get accross.To put it in short sentence constant injuries+crap luck = bad start to season .judge worthy when we get a settled  side then have your says.

[quote]Are you only sing when we are winning fans thers seems to be a lot of them on these boards[/quote]

I don''t know why but it seems to be those that are backing the manager blindly who only manage these sort of comments. I know there are those who give a valid argument for keeping him in the job and well done for make a valuable contribution. So how come reDickylous and allwayslookingforexcuses can''t seem to do this. Is it because you are too thick to come up with more than one insulting line, which I doubt is this case. Or is it because you know that most of those saying we should remove Worthington from the job and making good contribution to that argument are infact correct?

[quote]I''m going to stick my two penn''th in again I''m afraid. I support the current management. I''m not calling for change... although I know quite a few are. This is because I think Worthy HAS taken the cl...[/quote]

As I said earlier having explained your situation, as big ron would say, Amarillo I respect your view, which is very similar to what I was spouting a few month ago - for most of last year I was commenting that all successful clubs have one key thing in common - managerial stability.

However the balancing act between stability and stagnation is a fine one and I find myself on the other side of it for now.  It not a fixed position - thats not be being fickle but simply my assessment of the situation right now of what has happened over the last 15 months.

Long may we duel.

OTBC

Poor Dicky, what he hard time you give him. As well as informed intellectual debate there always seems to me to have been a place in soccer for throw away one-liners, it''s only a game after all(albeit IMO a fabulous one) and in a troubled world it should be an area for uncomplicated, emotional release. Perhaps this site can comfortably accomodate those with differing needs.

It does seem to me that it is often easier for us to find what''s wrong in something rather than what''s right - it was always easier to find the spelling mistakes in the daughters'' school essays rather than applaud their creativity - but here is my little effort to give 6 reasons why I want Nigel Worthington to stay as Manager. Incidentally, if I were asked to bat for the other side (so to speak) I could easily come up with a list of similar length. Anyway:

1) He has been relatively successful throughout his tenure as Manager, including having gained promotion to the Premiership

2) We are currently only 4 points off the play-off positions despite injuries/personal problems effecting key players/missed penalties

3) He has signed Damien Francis, Darren Huckerby, Leon McKenzie & Dean Ashton

4) He is in harmony with the Board and shares their realistic aspirations for the club

5) I do not believe in change unless it is essential. Change cannot guarantee success

6) There are many instances of nervous boards sacking good managers and then suffering the consequences, e.g. Ipswich/George Burley, Southampton/Paul Sturrock

Picking up on a different thread, family commitments take me to Peterboro'' tomorrow. I''m off to London Road & will report back next week on the form of Danny Crow - should we or shouldn''t we have let him go?

Is this thread part of the stop personal abuse on the board campaign?

Or is it yet another yawnsome reiteration of the reasons why you all want Worthy to go. How many threads do you need to say the same thing, we know you don''t like his tactics, player choices, transfers, what he says, how he deals with the players, his hair, his shoes.

Most people who don''t want Worthy to go at the moment have said why already. Why do they need to re-state it everytime one of you lot demand it?

[quote]Well done Plastic Scouser! I too am irritated by Dickys flip, rose coloured view that everything in the Carrow Road garden is wonderful and it is somehow disloyal to constructively challenge matters. ...[/quote]

I''m sure he doesn''t think everything is rosey right now, but he may support the current team or, like me, maybe he doesn''t think that a management change at the moment would be good for the club. I haven''t been privvy to his particular posts but it does feel to me on here like it''s ok to criticise but not support.

I wonder Bernard, since you have been a sceptic "from day one" do you recognise at all the progress we have made since NWs appointment? We have gone from the verge of div 2 to the premiership and albeit back to div 1 but as a much stronger, bigger and more respected club for whom, yes, at the moment, results aren''t going their way. Do you consider this progress to have been largely irrelevant and nothing to do with him?

It''s so easy to come on here and give it the "i knew all along, i was right all along, i never rated him..." But where were you at Cardiff and when we won the div 1 title? Sitting in the corner muttering to everyone how he''s the wrong man? Or dancing in the streets like the rest of us?

Fickle? Football fans? Never!!

[quote]I don''t know why but it seems to be those that are backing the manager blindly who only manage these sort of comments. I know there are those who give a valid argument for keeping him in the job and w...[/quote]

Flattered as I am by the attention, I chose to ignore this thread, however the post by Rasputin where he resorts to calling myself and another childish names, followed by calling us thick really needed highlighting.

How brave these name callers are when on a computer, eh?

I don''t usually agree with Dicky''s views myself but this has got to be one of the most childish and pointless posts I have ever seen on this board.

Yellow Shrimper, allow me to put the other side forth...

1) He has been relatively successful throughout his tenure as Manager, including having gained promotion to the Premiership - yes, but we also got embarrassingly relegated (no matter the run we went on at the end of the season that almost saved us) and now look poor.

2) We are currently only 4 points off the play-off positions despite injuries/personal problems effecting key players/missed penalties - we are also four points from the relegation zone even though our squad is very strong compared to others that also have injuries.

3) He has signed Damien Francis, Darren Huckerby, Leon McKenzie & Dean Ashton - he also signed Neil Emblem, Paul Heckingbottom, Keith Briggs, Mattias Jonson for A MILLION POUNDS, Mark Rivers, Graham Stuart etc etc.

4) He is in harmony with the Board and shares their realistic aspirations for the club - their relationship has become too comfortable, and complete job security has allowed Nigel to become complacent.

5) I do not believe in change unless it is essential. Change cannot guarantee success - 100% agree, in fact change often hurts.

6) There are many instances of nervous boards sacking good managers and then suffering the consequences, e.g. Ipswich/George Burley, Southampton/Paul Sturrock - once again, I agree entirely.

It''s not about bravery, Dicky; it''s about giving respect to other posters for reasoned and constructive debate, even though you may not necessarily agree with their point of view (e.g., the respect afforded to Amarillo for his well thought out and sensible points of view, even though some of us are not in agreement with them all of the time). His approach is in direct contrast to your weasly, negative and downright puerile posts. If you haven''t got anything sensible to say, please don''t bother.  

Dicky Dicky Dicky, what are we going to do with you hey? You go on about people insulting you but don''t you think the people you said weren''t real fans for holding a different opinion to you feel the same as you now? A lot of people on here were subject to being called Ipswich fans indisguise or not real supporters who''d jumped on the bandwagon. Well, surely you can take a few little digs at you ? Its only a bit of fun I''m sure. Can''t we all just stop the insults both ways now, but don''t you go complaining when you''ve dealt out the insults as much as anyone.Thankyou

[quote]Flattered as I am by the attention, I chose to ignore this thread, however the post by Rasputin where he resorts to calling myself and another childish names, followed by calling us thick really neede...[/quote]

Flattered as I am by the attention......yeah right Dicky! Who are you trying to kid, maybe you are just beginning to realise your view points are ridiculous.

You still have not answered any of the questions put to you, is it because you chose to ignore the thread? I dont think so as you have replied to it.....Dicky you can not ignore something by answering it!  I think its is simply because you dont have the ideas, knowledge or intelligence to answer it properly.

You do not fool any of us.... make us laugh maybe but thats about all

OTBC

St.John

Are you serious???? If I remember rightly you were one of those people on here who were calling people closet binners, part time supporters just because we were saying we''d be better off without Worthington. If you can''t handle it don''t dish it out... simple really.

im sorry dicky - im sure u called me a closet binner for saying we''d be better off with worthington....i also seem 2 remember you calling for 10games - we''ve played a few more than that now, and where are we? nowhere near where we should be, we have a great squad and are not playing to ability. that is the managers job! thats all he has to do! and pick the team....marney/jarret central midfielders....but oh well lets play the left back charlton in CM, and as we have no left back fit now, lets throw a left winger into the fray at left back. thats why we are where we are, WORTHINGTON! he is useless, as i speak its just been made 3-0 to qpr.

whoever posted on fleming having been played to the best of his ability last season, ok he did. doesnt change the fact that he shouldnt have been anywhere near the team in the prem in the first place! why sell malky when he was clearly a far superior player to flem?

im sorry but im not a binner, im not fickle and i care as much about this club as anyone does. but why keep the faith with a joke of a manager who has turned a good group of players, even with injuries, a good set of players, into a team capable of conceding 7 goals in two first halves.

get the clown out of our club because we''re only going one way with him at the helm, and thats down, we are a sinking ship right now and we need someone with the knowledge and capability to avoid relegation this season then take us back up next.

[quote]im sorry dicky - im sure u called me a closet binner for saying we''d be better off with worthington....i also seem 2 remember you calling for 10games - we''ve played a few more than that now, and where...[/quote]

admittedly we are playing Charlton out of position and Jarrett not even making the bench perplexes me. However, Brennan IS a left back, that was his Forest position, although Worthy likes to push him forward he is actually OUT of position when playing as a winger.

[quote]im sorry dicky - im sure u called me a closet binner for saying we''d be better off with worthington....i also seem 2 remember you calling for 10games - we''ve played a few more than that now, and where...[/quote]

A man who speaks sense ladies and gents.

Quick answer to your accusations - no and no - you can always look through my previous posts if you want?