Sign in to follow this  
king canary

How Are You Feeling About....

With less than a week to go until the start of the new season I think it''s interesting to get an idea of how the fans (as much as this message board can be considered representative) are feeling about various aspects of the club. So I''d like to know how you feel about....

1) The Squad

2) The manager

3) The board

4) Our transfer dealings

5) Our chances for the upcoming season

I know lots of this will have been covered in various threads but it is interesting to get it all in one place....

And to start things off....

1) The squad still feels bloated and imbalanced to me. We''ve struggled to move on much of the deadwood we have here and I think it''s holding us back. Saying that we have a lot of talent in the team and I''m excited about the young players coming through. Add a striker or two and move on a few fringe players I''ll be pretty happy.

2) Jury still very much out on AN for me. The constant chopping and changing last season combined with reactive rather than proactive substitutions has me worried. A strong start is needed to convince me he wasn''t just a half season wonder for us.

3) I won''t pretend to know anything about Jez Moxey''s record so won''t comment. My feeling is that McNally''s departure might be a blessing in disguise though. I do love Delia & Michael still and I''m proud to be owned by local fans rather than existing at the whim of billionaire with a dodgy backstory.

4) Underwhelmed. I like the look of Canos but I can''t really see the need for McGovern. Would have hoped to have added another striker by now and have moved on the likes of Vadis and Mulumbu. Still baffled as to why we''ve kept Whittaker.

5) All depends on the start to the season- start well and I can see us going up in the top two. Start slowly and I can see us struggling to keep hold of Klose and a few others in January, leading to a mid table finish.

1) the squad - disappointed we haven''t really strengthened and have pretty much the same squad as last season, minus Redmond and potentially Brady. It remains to be seen if McCormack can hit the ground running, should we eventually sign him. Prob won''t be match fit, so relying on Jerome again could be costly. Imo we have no option but to play the young players and I hope AN gives them a fair chance. Looking forward to seeing Canos and Madison.

2) manager - I wanted him out last season, think he''s out of his depth and if it''s falling apart by Christmas, he will be gone. It''s make or break for me over the first 10 games. Steve Bruce would be ideal.

In a rush, so no time to answer 3,4,5 at the mo.

1) The Squad .........to many CM''s No deadwood gone only RVW no pace in team

2) The manager Not good enough for me , Transfer record is very hit and Miss ,tactics can be anything magic one week then changes them !

i think we needed a more experienced manager to rebuild the team , or if we want a inexperienced manager has to be a bigger name with more contacts ( Ryan giggs )

3) The board ....... well we do not know what is going on here is it AN who is not signing players or the board ??

delia gets to attached to managers worth hughton and AN and that leads to us holding on for to long instead of changing manager

but as a whole run the club debt free

4) Our transfer dealings .. Canos played last year in champs we got him here played him once dropped him to U21''s now people think one for future ?? i dont think canos thinks that and rightly so should be a replacement for redmond see how that pans out should have got targets in preseason prepared ready to go ( easy to say )

5) Our chances for the upcoming season

good squad for this level i think we should use this year to blend a squad ready if we do go up needs some forward thinking but i think it will be a Neil adams year start of quite poorly AN goes new man comes in and does better and we get a play off ( thought that for a while now )

The squad - once we have added at least one forward to it, happy as a pig in ....... well, you know. Looks like the squad most capable in the league to me, so many of them already know how to get out of this league in an upwards direction. And a relatively settled squad, no great upheaval.

The manager - relatively happy. He has already shown he knows what''s needed to get promotion. Only hope he doesn''t get as easily spooked as he did at the Newcastle result last season.

The board - guess I would like to see one more experienced business-type appointed to the board who could bring a different perspective. No idea who though! As happy as I think I can be with the appointment of Moxey - not sure who we could have got who would be any better.

Transfers - too early to say. We have done well getting shot of Kean and RVW and for getting 11m for Redmond. Like the look of McGovern and Canos. Still need at least one forward though.

Chances for the season - I think we are capable of a top two finish. However, we all know what a bitch this league can be, so a play-off place would be an acceptable finish.

1) The squad is probably the 2nd best in the league on paper so no major overhaul was needed. However, I think it is always good for teams to freshen up a little every season, just to shake things up. .

Feel many are overrating some of the youngsters - Josh looks ready and Maddison is talented but don''t expect anyone other than those two to make more than 10 or so appearances.

Personally feel that O''Neil is a loss that hasn''t been replaced - we all know Tettey''s knee will go at some point and currently there is no one, apart from Mulumbu who seems to have suffered some trauma that means he no longer knows how to play football, to cover him. No one say Dorrans can do it, because he really can''t.

STRIKERS GET BLOODY STRIKERS. Would rather two good strikers come in than lumping all Norwich''s eggs into Ross''s basket. Also a question about who will play left wing when Brady goes.

2) AN has shown good tactical insight as well as mistakes in almost equal measure so far I''d say. He needs to get the team starting better, not just evident from the last friendly, but also across a large part of last season.

There are worries about his judgement in the transfer market - although it is hard to pull apart how much is him, how much is the scouting and how much has been the process.

3) Hard to comment on the board as we don''t know who makes what decisions. If/when McCormack signs Ed Balls will have been Chairman for 6/7 months and will have broken the transfer record 3 times. Think that shows a dramatic shift in philosophy at the top.

4) McGovern could prove to be an excellent addition, feel he is a better keeper than Ruddy and could potentially look like an absolute bargain come next May.

Canos looks talented, but rawer than I was expecting for someone who has had a whole season in the Championship under his belt. For £2.5m though it is an easy gamble to make and sure he''ll make a contribution throughout the season.

5) It''s the Championship - leagues don''t come much harder to predict. Norwich should be comfortably around the play-off places throughout, if they can get a good start under their belt and shake off some of the doubt from last season. As always, the final position will come down to hard to control factors such as injuries and luck with refs.

I bloody hate the Championship.

1) We have several competent players but a team they do not make. Way too many midfielders of various shapes & sizes – a bit of a clear-out is required just to balance the wage bill. Why Andreu is an employee I have no idea! Fans are too emotional about the potential of the Murphy twins; they’re decent, but not world-beaters. McGovern is probably a step up from Rudd & brilliant competition for Ruddy. Louis Thompson & others may struggle. Jarvis’ fitness is a concern – we’ll need him when Brady departs. Harry Toffolo is not ready to be our main starter when Olsson goes.

2) Fortunate to be here given he took us out of the Premiership last season. He was a breath of fresh air to get us promoted – however, his inexperience shows. With managers like Steve Bruce in the wings, he will know he has to show more – and quickly over the first 10 games. I doubt Ed Balls & Jez Moxey are passive reactors…

3) Happy enough with the board – Moxey may look a bit like a dodgy second-hand car dealer but let’s see what he does in the role before passing judgement.

4) Maddison looks silky & composed - top signing. Ben Godfrey has a great physique & could replace Russell Martin sooner than later. Sergi Canos looks as though his head is more advanced than his ability. McCormack is a proven goal scorer but will AN know how to get the best from him? Our system will need to change & I’m not convinced we’re flexible enough. A player like Zach Clough may deliver better value.

5) We have a decent chance to do well this season – however from what I’ve seen in the two home friendlies we are disjointed & off the pace. I cannot see a win coming at Blackburn unless the home side are self-destructive. I sense we’ll stutter & stumble but of course I hope we don’t.

1)     

The Squad – generally fairly pleased, and

delighted we seem to have managed to keep hold of Klose, Bennett, Howson,

Tettey etc.  Feel like there are some big

gaps to fill though – obviously we need at least one new striker (Not sure if

McCormack is the answer here, unless AN is planning on playing a diamond

midfield or 3 at the back), but IMO we badly need back-up in the midfield

destroyer role as well as a left back (assuming Olsson goes) and possibly

another wide option.

2)     

The Manager – Jury definitely out.  Hoping that more winnable games will give AN

the chance to work on perfecting a line-up and one or two systems, rather than

the seemingly random changes we saw from game to game last year.  I feel like AN showed some weakness under

pressure last season, and although we’ll be at the opposite end of the table

this year (hopefully!), he’s still going to have to negotiate some pretty high

stakes scenarios.  Positivity and

consistency are key – if we can get off to a flyer then things could fall into

place, but I’ll be concerned if we don’t manage to hit the ground running over

the first 4 or 5 games. 

3)     

The Board – Hard to know who does what, so not

sure how to answer this.  Obviously Moxey

hasn’t had any impact yet, but Ed Balls arrival seems to have coincided with an

increase in the amount of cash we’re willing to spend, which is a good thing IF

we have the scouting to match and make good decisions in the transfer market based

on that.

4)     

Transfers – With a month to go of this window it’s

hard to say, but the two incoming transfers so far have been pleasing.  McGovern seems decent enough to challenge

Ruddy for his spot, and Canos sounds like a handful, even though he won’t play

every game.  Concerned that McCormack won’t

fit the system AN seems wedded to, and definitely think we need a like-for-like

backup to Jerome, but hopefully there’s a plan about how to get the best out of

him.  Back up for Tettey and a

replacement for Olsson (if he goes) and I’ll be pretty pleased.  I imagine Brady, Olsson, Mulumbu, Vadis and Andreu

will probably leave, and probable loans for Adams, Jacob Murphy, Thompson,

Godfrey, Cantwell and McGrandles (unless one of Thompson/Godfrey is seen as the

Tettey backup).

5)     

Our chances – Have to be optimistic, but the

Championship is an impossible league to predict and we’ll need to be 100% fit,

organised and motivated in every game to go up automatically.  Imagine Newcastle will be up there, as well

as Derby, Sheffield Weds, Villa, Brighton, QPR and at least 1 or 2 surprise

teams (Bristol C?  Wolves?  Ipswich? 

Cardiff?)  so a good start is

important to establish momentum.  At the

moment, I’m not sure we have the mental strength and leadership to really take

the league by storm, though things can change rapidly (see our League 1 season

for proof of that!).  If AN can deal with

the pressure of being in a 5/6/7-way shoot-out for a top 2 place, we might just

make the automatics, but I’m more inclined to predict somewhere between 4th

and 7th right now. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]3) Hard to comment on the board as we don''t know who makes what decisions. If/when McCormack signs Ed Balls will have been Chairman for 6/7 months and will have broken the transfer record 3 times. Think that shows a dramatic shift in philosophy at the top.[/quote]I did post late last year that the idea had been floated by a serious figure that the club needed to be a bit more financially ambitious to try to break out of the yo-yo syndrome. Whether the winter spending and the willingness to break our transfer record again are signs that this notion has been taken up I don''t know. It could just be, as far as the winter was concerned, that we were shelling out the money we had failed to spend in the summer, plus the obvious need for specific strengthening, such as in central defence.Apart from that, the weak decision would have been to try to get McNally to stay, so letting him go suggests a welcome toughness from Balls and the rest. I really don''t know who people think we could have got that would have been better than Moxey. And if, as seems the case, the board have decided that never again will the CEO be so powerful and so unwilling to delegate as apparently McNally was, then Moxey, with all his experience, will be able both to delegate and groom a successor.

1) I can see that there is some quality but we also have quite a bit of chaff in my opinion, whether the aulity players can get certain toher players to raise their game remains to be seen. I feel rather "meh" about the team to be honest, it doesn''t excite me at all.
2) Hopeful, he young and determined, that has it frailties but I believe he can do it again if he remembers what works for him and believes in himself. Stick to the plan.
3) Who cares, I don''t know enough to claim better, it could be worse ultimately I think. 
4) A repeat of last year so far, not enough improvement, we need to offload more and get in more.
5) I don''t exactly have high hopes, I think we can make the play offs. Newcastle will win the league but beyond that? who knows.

1. Goalkeepers look solid, defence good for this league, but in need of a new signing shake up to keep the players on their toes, lack of cover at left back a concern Def mid cover is missing and i dont think we have enough players who can move the ball quickly; I dont think wingers will feature much this season but we do have options. Up front Jerome will do ok but we do need 2 more signings here. Most concerned about whether the players will apply the right attitude - they are good enough when they want to be.

2. Manager is ok but it is a season where he has to prove himself.

3. Board - Encouraging that we have a stable approach in keeping AN and the addition of an experienced coach can only help. Investing in a striker potnetially re-breaking our transfer record suggests we have little to worry about.

4. Its a quiet window for all teams so far and it feels like things will finally get started this week. Good signs so far bt far too early to tell.

5. With focus and determination we should be close to an auto spot, with this squad not reaching the play offs will be a season of failure. I dont expect that to be the case.

1) We seem to have a lot of bodies of which too many are for me;

Surplus to requirement - Mulumbu, Laffs, Vadis, Andeu

Unknown - Murphys Maddison Toffolo

Not good enough/stale - Whittaker, Bassong, Martin.

(Jerome cant be replied on)

Real risk of losing Brady and Olsson.

That doesn''t leave us with much quality or depth.

2) Ridiculous to suggest his job is risk. Genuinely worked a miracle to get us up, didn''t do too much wrong last year. Proabbly a little bit on inexperience caught him out. Is still hungry and passionate. Playoffs would be a minimum requirement though.

4) Appalling as always.

Other than RvW I cant remember the last player i was truly excited about seeing. Canos could be anything, the GK is neither here nor there unless he intends on replacing Ruddy as No.1. Losing Redmond was disappointing but understandable. Whats so frustrating is seeing other clubs getting there business done efficiently and us sat 4 days from kickoff haggling over a couple of mil.

5) As much as I''m uninspired, I still think we have a few decent players and a squad that is good enough to compete at this level. I like Pinto, hopefully Bennett will establish himself as first choice with Klose, Olsson will shine at this level. We know Howson/Dorrans/Tettey/Wes are effective at this level. Were all hoping the Murphys are what we think they might be. The rest depends on that 25/30 goal a year marksman. Is McCormack that man? Quite possibly.

I expect Newcastle to get the job done, should be a straight battle between us and Villa for second.

I genuinely love the Championship!

1) The Squad We really need a striker or two, so I''ll be only satisfied when we actually signed one. I think over the whole we still have a good squad...

2) The manager Not too sure...he did quite well last time we were in the champs , but I don''t think he''s tactically strong enough to plot an immediate return tbh

3) The board We''ll have to see how it turns out with Moxey...It is not clear who exactly is pulling the strings and that doesn''t make me confident

4) Our transfer dealings I liked the McGovern signing and I think Canos may be a good one...but again...where is the striker or two we really really need!!!! Defence is still the same and I am not confident abour our central pairing yet...Hope we don''t lose Brady/Olsson ! Midfield is allright, but too many CM , not really any pace out wide...

5) Our chances for the upcoming season I think we can make top 6 , but I don''t feel confident about our chances for automatic promotion...It''s gonna be another tough tough ride!

The squad - not yet finalised more ins and outs to come

The manager - to be given a chance

The board - Unknown new members

Transfer dealings - unfinished

Our chances - even given the above, still better than most

1) The squad: 6/10 some excellent players with some dead wood. It would be an 8/10 but......not enough quality attackers to create competition. We need more than 1 big signing plus Jerome- whose confidence is shot. . We need 3 hungry forwards and have NONE right now.

2) AN: 6/10 A good motivator who looked brilliant when he first came- and seems a decent bloke. BUT he seems like a rabbit in the headlights when it comes to the transfer market and doesn''t seem capable of keeping a settled side.

3) Jez Moxey: 4/10 Seems a backward step. Not half the man McNally was. Been relegated often and signed turkeys as managers. Megson anyone?

4) Transfers: 2/10 We were promised lessons had been learnt. We would do business early, that changes were coming.... it hasn''t happened. Turner? Really??? Whittaker? New contract? Really??? Yet another season for Martin...really? How many relegations is he allowed? The 2 is for getting shot of RVW....McGovern Why? We needed 3 strikers and a CB. None in yet but old guard being rewarded.

5) Prospects: 7/10 We have the quality to be comfortably top half but fire power needs adding and not just on one big signing who doesnt fit the formation...

Shows how desperate people are to criticise the club.

Quoting Moxey giving Megson a job 17 years ago! A Megson had Stoke in the play-off positions when he was removed by the new Icelandic owner for his preferred Icelandic manager.

Also, Turner''s contract was extended automatically due to the club achieving promotion as per a clause in said contract. The same happened with Wes.

Some points Dean Coney.

Yet another season for relegated Russell Martin. Martin has been relegated twice. As have Tettey, Ruddy, Olsson, Whittaker, Bassong, Howson, Brady, Rudd, Hoolahan, Jarvis, Ryan Bennett, and probably a couple of more. Are we getting rid of these players as well, or are just scapegoating Martin here?

Turner got an automatic contract renewal that was beyond our control. This has been mentioned umpteen times on this board.

Whittaker was probably resigned to provide cheap cover for the full back positions, cheaper than buying new players to be reserve players.

We got rid of Rvw - mainly because his goalscoring has been pathetic for three years - 7 league goals in total, and just 2 in 28 for us.

McGovern was signed to provide competition to Ruddy.

You say Moxey is not half the man McNally is. How do you know this? Do you know him personally? At Wolves he had a very similar record in terms of promotions and relegations. He also appointed several mangers that you conveniently decided to omit.

We have no hungry forwards. Again, how do you know this? Have you personally asked Jerome if he''s hungry for the new season? If he makes a good start to the season in terms of goals will his confidence still be shot?

If you are going to be a perma-moaner, at least make sure you get your ''facts'' right.

Yes let us get some facts straight. Perhaps starting with the fact that somebody merely asked what we felt about the season and all I did was answer, how is that perm-moaning? Not least when the majority of my scores were over and not under 5- thus positive not negative. Do tell....

Re Martin- not scapegoating just dont think he is up to playing CB consistently

RE McGovern- what about Rudd?

Re Camjam I am saying he isn''t hungry and shot in confidence due to his performance levels last year.

The Squad - essentially OK but without some strikers it''s a major concern whether we can score the goals necessary to be in the top 6. The defence could do with another CB and there are players who need shifting out to free up money.

The Manager - does he know his best eleven? I doubt it and I expect he will continue to tinker with the team selections this season. The management team lack experience at this level and higher as was evident last season. Transfers are very variable. If we are struggling come November AN may well struggle to survive.

The Board - reminds me of Cameron''s resignation honours list, strong stench of cronyism. However they have made money available to managers over recent seasons and are not responsible for player transfers and performance. They do need to be more decisive in pulling the plug when it''s necessary.

Out Transfer Dealings - very variable and last summer''s efforts were a fiasco. This summer could be even worse although there are about three weeks left to do something. Don''t hold your breath as the McCormack saga drags on.

Our Chances For The Coming Season - If we can get goals then the top 6 is a realistic prospect so long as we are tight at the back. We should certainly be top half but automatic promotion is doubtful right now. We''ll have a better idea once the window shuts.

1) We have a strong squad for this league, but I''m absolutely stunned we are sitting here 5 days before the season with only 1 striker on the books. Absolutely unthinkable after last season''s debacle that we''d pull the same stunt again.

Need to trim more deadwood from the squad.

I''d be trying to ship Mulumbu, Whittaker, Vadis, Andreu, McGrandles etc out the door ASAP. Sure the club are trying on this front (except Whittaker unfortunately), but can''t be an easy job. Lafferty can join that list if we can find a body to replace him. As could Russ Martin for that matter. I don''t rate Dorrans either but he''ll do a job as a squad player.

2) Alex is still learning. He will make mistakes this season, but I like his attitude, and I really hope to see him succeed and flourish with us. I don''t see his job being at risk, it''s not his job to sign the players, there were good players identified last season and the board didn''t get them over the line. If we''d signed a classy CB in August instead of January, I don''t think we''d have gone down, and we''d all be happy enough with the manager situ. I do think he needs to learn quickly this season though. That Newcastle result seemed to shake him to the core and playing more defensively after that just didn''t suit us. When defence is the weakest area of the pitch, and you''re not scoring enough goals, then playing defensively is asking for trouble. With the squad we have, we should be looking for 3 points from every game, home or away. Obviously we won''t win them all, but we shouldn''t be setting up to try and scrape a draw or nick a 1-0 on the counter at all next season (Newcastle aside).

3) The board. I understand we have limited funds, and there''s been CEO upheaval, but being in the same position as we were last season where we have a clear position of weakness and it''s not been addressed as the season begins is inexcusable. Last year, I said on deadline day that if we didn''t get a decent CB in we''d go down. This year, if we don''t get at least one decent striker (plus another one for cover) in then we probably won''t go back up. P***ed off that we never seem to learn from our mistakes at board level.

Gutted to see McNally go, and even more gutted to see Moxey arrive. The bloke has made a career of being mediocre and we should be aiming for better. I have a feeling this one will come back to haunt us.

4) At this juncture I would settle for one quality striker and hope we don''t get any injuries before Jan but realistically we need two strikers in the door in the next few weeks.

Canos is obviously a good signing, don''t really get the McGovern thing but I guess Kean wanted to go and we needed a third keeper so it makes sense. On a free too so that''s fine by me. McCormack is hugely overpriced. He bangs goals in for fun at this level, and if he scores enough to take us up then it''s worth it, but I''m disappointed our scouts couldn''t do a better job and find someone better value for money. We need to be looking at Europe more, the domestic market is extortionate.

Whittaker. WHY? I get it that he was already in the building and no fee involved, but he is absolutely S***. I was so looking forward to seeing the back of him this summer. Hopefully Pinto will stay fit and we won''t see him on the pitch, but I''m gutted to see him staying. I''d rather have my cat playing Right Back than him. And he''d do a better job too.

5) I think we''ll do OK. It''s hard to predict where we''ll finish without knowing who else is coming in (if anyone!!!). If we get McCormack or another quality forward then I expect us to finish top 4. If we go into the season with just Cam then I don''t see us being better than midtable, trying to scrape bottom end of playoffs. If Cam gets injured and we have no-one else in the door then write the season off.

They kept Whittaker because he''s a good player and handy to have in the squad.

He is the most underrated and most unfairly criticised player at the club.

GJP - Watch our season highlights on Youtube from last time we were in the Championship. When AN took over and we got really mean in defence, guess which side almost ALL of the goals came from? It''s not unfair criticism, it''s entirely fair. He''s absolutely crap, and there is a wealth of video evidence to back up that assertion.

He''s half-decent going forward, but absolutely inept defensively, and incredibly slow too. Any winger with pace has a field day against him, every single time. It astounds me that there are a few that are STILL defending him.

[quote user="GJP"]They kept Whittaker because he''s a good player and handy to have in the squad.

He is the most underrated and most unfairly criticised player at the club.[/quote]I will trump you with Martin. [:D]

You can''t make a career out of playing fullback at the level he has if you''re inept defensively.

Just utterly stupid to think otherwise.

But then so often I hear people complain at games that he isn''t marking the winger.

Fullbacks generally don''t mark/go tight to wingers.

It''s that lack of understanding that leads people to say he''s out of position etc.

It''s nothing to do with marking the winger, it''s the fact that every time he is one on one with a winger, the cross comes in or he gets absolutely stitched up and the winger gets in behind. He offers no protection down that side at all. See his most recent performance for example, both the first 2 goals came down his side. Now I''m sure you''ll point the finger at Murphy, which is fine, he should have been tracking back, but watch the highlights and watch what Whittaker does, and tell me how that constitutes any kind of defensive nous?

Goal 1 - it''s his man and he utterly loses him

Goal 2: Inexplicably runs towards the middle of the pitch on his route but wouldn''t have got there anyway, lack of pace is horribly exposed.

I think the fact that he was the only senior pro taken off at half time speaks volumes, especially when AN took the time to make excuses for subbing Josh but offered nothing of the sort for Whittaker.