Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Time to take off the gloves?

Okay, so although it looks like we''re probably going down, the fat lady hasn''t sung yet,

The loss of Klose has put us back where we were prior to January i.e. unable to prevent teams scoring against us. To my mind this leaves us just one option... to score more goals than the opposition. So why not go 3 at the back, preferably without Bassong, and take the game to the other team? Sure, we might lose 8-0 instead of 2-0, but the points will be the same. On the other hand, we might even be lucky enough to scrape enough points to stay up.

Either way, I''d rather see us go down fighting than curling up into a pathetic little ball in the corner.

Okay, so I clearly haven''t thought that one through, but I would still hate us to try and defend our way to a result, when history has shown us that we just don''t have the quality of defenders to achieve this.

I''d prefer to leave Bassong out, but as we only have two ''proper'' centre-backs available I''d include him in a defence minded 5-4-1 - it''s Arsenal where we''ve only won twice since 1972, so a point garnered would suffice nicely thanks.5-4-1:RuddyMartin - cbBennett - cbBassong - cbPinto - dmrOlsson - dmlHowson - mTettey - dmO''Neil - mNaismith - amMbokani - ssubs:RuddBradyJarvisHoolahanRedmondMulumboJerome

[quote user="julian hudson"]I''d prefer to leave Bassong out, but as we only have two ''proper'' centre-backs available I''d include him in a defence minded 5-4-1 - it''s Arsenal where we''ve only won twice since 1972, so a point garnered would suffice nicely thanks.5-4-1:RuddyMartin - cbBennett - cbBassong - cbPinto - dmrOlsson - dmlHowson - mTettey - dmO''Neil - mNaismith - amMbokani - ssubs:RuddBradyJarvisHoolahanRedmondMulumboJerome

[/quote]

I like this, as Pinto and Olsson would flourish as wing backs, but Tettey is still injured so I would put Mulumbu there and would put Redmond or Hoolahan in for Naismith. Strong bench tho.

We''re getting pretty short of defenders Sooty, Bassong Bennet and Russ it would have to be I think. Pinto fits the bill in a back five for me, Ollsen as well, and how about giving Redmond a free reign in behind a striker as Parma suggested.

[quote user="Vanwink"]We''re getting pretty short of defenders Sooty, Bassong Bennet and Russ it would have to be I think. Pinto fits the bill in a back five for me, Ollsen as well, and how about giving Redmond a free reign in behind a striker as Parma suggested.[/quote]That (Redmond) could work, VW, but Naismith''s fitness levels are catching up and he must be on the verge of raising his game against the likes of Arsenal, aka Liverpool earlier on.

Going to the back 5 I think is a great idea considering Klose''s absence now, plus we can play Redmond whilst still having a solid shape. Pinto and Brady either side, jobs a good un. It''s a definite yes from me.

@Mrs

I''d thought about Brady playing on the left instead of Ollsen, the reason I went for Ollsen was because Brady has looked a bit off form recently and Martin has been excellent, his confidence looks high and I recon he may well have another goal in him. Cracking shot on Saturday 😄,