Sign in to follow this  
The gut

Laws of the game

On a coaching course many years ago, the first morning was spent with a senior ref. I will never forget it. He said one of the main problems that refs experienced was getting grief from players who did not know the rules. He gave several examples of situations, and to my surprise at the time, we got the vast majority wrong.

Ok, he gave some obscure examples but it proved his point.

I have just looked at the FIFA rulebook to satisfy my curiosity over Saturday''s penalty. I am still not sure, but certainly understand why it would be given.

I was then surprised to stumble across this rule:-

"• if a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team’s own goal, a corner kick

is awarded to the opposing team"

I know it''s unlikely but the rule is there because it is possible. If it had happened in one of our games I would have expected a goal to stand. It reminded me of that refs point.

A good example is the Howson "handball" before Olsson''s goal vs Newcastle where the guidance changed fairly recently.  Lots of people assume that if a player controls the ball with his hand/arm, that is automatically handball, but that''s out of date and following current guidance, the correct decision there was that it''s not handball.

and Sunderland''s penalty? I was told that ''Under the laws, that was the correct decision'' As in, it didn''t matter that Wisdom made contact with the ball BEFORE he clattered Fabrini. I still don''t get it, can anyone come up with that rule please?

If a goalkeeper/player takes a goal kick and a very strong wind or momentary problem with the earths gravitational system causes the ball to loop back and go in the goal then it''s a corner.

Maybe this helps Crabby, doesn''t help me much though.

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be

careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent

[quote user="TCCANARY"]If a goalkeeper/player takes a goal kick and a very strong wind or momentary problem with the earths gravitational system causes the ball to loop back and go in the goal then it''s a corner.[/quote]

It''s about re starts. At a goal kick the game restarts when the ball goes outside of the 18 yard box and is played by an outfield player. Until such time the ball is not in play. Therefore a corner is given rather than an own goal .

[quote user="The gut"]Maybe this helps Crabby, doesn''t help me much though.

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be

careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent[/quote]

If that''s the case why is an accidental handball when the ball isn''t a direct shot on target a penalty? Surely it should be an indirect free kick?

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]and Sunderland''s penalty? I was told that ''Under the laws, that was the correct decision'' As in, it didn''t matter that Wisdom made contact with the ball BEFORE he clattered Fabrini. I still don''t get it, can anyone come up with that rule please?[/quote]
He clattered a lad called Fabrini as well? Well, no wonder he was penalised... 

As I understand it Indy, there is no issue at all with an accidental handball, I wish there was. You are only penalised for a deliberate handball.

The line between ''deliberate'' and ''accidental'' hand balls has been somewhat blurred for a long, long time.

And the whole ''you must fall over'' to be awarded a penalty nonsense.

The rule book needs a good ol'' refresh - not so much in updating the laws but perhaps re-educating the refs, players, fans on the things that matter game in/game out.

Personally, I still think video replays are the true answer to end all this controversial nonsense.