Sign in to follow this  
pete

Since Paul Lambert the club has stagnated.

You wanted to know how we can avoid stagnation, the answer is not to be nice little Norwich and promote our own people, who may be really good, but lack wider experiences elsewhere,and bring in new blood, top quality individuals who have a successful track record at the highest level. That''s how you avoid stagnation.😄

[quote user="Vanwink"]You wanted to know how we can avoid stagnation, the answer is not to be nice little Norwich and promote our own people, who may be really good, but lack wider experiences elsewhere,and bring in new blood, top quality individuals who have a successful track record at the highest level. That''s how you avoid stagnation.😄[/quote]Ah right, that easy eh?

To be honest a decent number two is far better for any club than a Director Of Football.......Phelan was an outstanding number two and a rock for Fergy.

I''m not sure MacNally can be blamed for all the failures, it''s OK today he has the day to day running but he has to work to the owners restrictions.

It''s ok to challenge all things including the board, manager, coaches and players without this there would never be any improvement, I''m hoping that we don''t slip back into post 2005 relegation, where we tried to get back up on a budget with a failing manager.

To be honest everytime we have been relegated we''ve gone with the manager who finally took us down and each time they''ve been removed before January? Anyone betting on AN being here end of next January?

What a great OP

I had never thought about the clubs situation in this context but you are bang right things have been at best average since Lambert left

Which then leads to the natural question. Should we have him back and from me it''s a big yes

We haven''t stagnated though, have we?
Championship
Championship
Championship
Championship
> Lambert
League One
Championship
Premier League/Lambert
Premier League
Premier League
Championship
Premier League
If that is stagnation then I would hate to find a word for the likes of the Binners, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leeds United, etc etc etc.
Too many of our fans are spoilt children who stamp their feet and piss their pants far too often to be considered housetrained.

“In terms of the structure, we have got a football management board in place now that I will chair,” said City chief executive David McNally. “The manager is on that board alongside a head of recruitment responsible for identifying players, and then a technical director – who I stress is not a director of football.

“They will look after all the really important things that mean so much to preparing players, but that we don’t want our manager to be concerned with.

“We want him to be concerned with the first-team coaching, the final say on players in and players out. But the technical director will look after those other important areas like conditioning, fitness, medical, physio, sports science, sports analysis, academy, the infrastructure, the training ground, players’ rest, relaxation, wellbeing, nutrition, hydration – the list goes on.

“There are a lot of areas the technical director will be responsible for, which quite frankly we don’t think our manager’s attention should be focused on. Our first-team football manager just needs to worry about the first team and coaching of the first team.”

As for the person set to take the role, McNally added: “We’ve gone to the market and asked a recruiter to lead the process. There are internal candidates as well as a long list of people we are considering internationally and domestically. We’re really keen to ensure the people on the football board are complimentary, can work together and support one another. We have that in mind.”

So what is it about Ricky Martin''s cv that makes him unsuitable for this role?

[quote user="The Walking Man "]Because Ricky didn''t come from somewhere else... apparently.[/quote]We probably should have scoured Europe....

Ricky Martin is Technical Director following his promotion from Academy manager. That position is now taken by Drew Broughton and Ricky Martin is no longer listed on the Academy staff. That to me says he has been elevated to a position of overall responsibility for everything at Colney with McNally as his ''boss'' unless someone can tell me otherwise as to who he is answerable to.Technical Director seems a play on words alongside Director of football. No doubt someone can tell me the difference. Also interesting to note that Nutty says his CV shows he is well qualified for the job.What that is based on i have no idea but all that i know is he has never played the game at a decent level.Bottom line in all this is both McNally and Martin sit on the '' football board ''.

This is just pitch forks and torches. I can understand why McNally gets caned. That''s fair enough. But this Ricky Martin stuff is unbelievable. What''s he done, or not done, to be in this firing line?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Ricky Martin is Technical Director following his promotion from Academy manager. That position is now taken by Drew Broughton and Ricky Martin is no longer listed on the Academy staff. That to me says he has been elevated to a position of overall responsibility for everything at Colney with McNally as his ''boss'' unless someone can tell me otherwise as to who he is answerable to.Technical Director seems a play on words alongside Director of football. No doubt someone can tell me the difference. Also interesting to note that Nutty says his CV shows he is well qualified for the job.What that is based on i have no idea but all that i know is he has never played the game at a decent level.Bottom line in all this is both McNally and Martin sit on the '' football board ''.[/quote]Try and twist it however you like, David McNally is CEO.Again, do people involved in football need to have played at a decent level to be any good?Want me to list players who have done so and spectacularly failed?What level did Alex Ferguson play to?This is all, pretty plainly, about the fact you don''t like David McNally.

what is it about Ricky Martin''s cv that makes him unsuitable for this role?There is a difference in suitability and experience for the role.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]To be honest Morty I don''t think an 80''s one hit wonder band are any more qualified than Ricky Martin (at least he had 2 hits!)[/quote]Livin la vida loca ain''t gonna keep us up [;)]

His role is an example of where we have been very conservative, promoted internally, that''s the sort of thing that leads to stagnation in any organisation.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]To be honest Morty I don''t think an 80''s one hit wonder band are any more qualified than Ricky Martin (at least he had 2 hits!)[/quote]
Fairly sure the follow up, "Cherokee", reached the mid teens in the charts.
But yeah, I know what you mean.
Plus hair.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]What is it that makes him unsuitable then?[/quote]
During training, he makes them take their clothes off and go dancing in the rain.

To be fair Ricky Martin seems to be coming in for a bit of stick here, but has he actually failed in his job remit?

According to the McNally quote the technical director is responsible for: "those other important areas like conditioning, fitness, medical, physio, sports science, sports analysis, academy, the infrastructure, the training ground, players’ rest, relaxation, wellbeing, nutrition, hydration – the list goes on."

What has Ricky Martin failed in that job description? He is not responsible for recruitment, nor is he responsible for coaching. So where has he fallen down?

Because those on his case have an agenda. It''s been ongoing for yerars. In Winky''s case over about his last three user names.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Because those on his case have an agenda. It''s been ongoing for yerars. In Winky''s case over about his last three user names.[/quote][:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

This is just pitch forks and torches. I can understand why McNally gets caned. That''s fair enough. But this Ricky Martin stuff is unbelievable. What''s he done, or not done, to be in this firing line?

[/quote]I will take up the '' or not done '' bit if you like by saying you would have thought with all this wealth of experience, knowledge and expertise our young manager could have been better advised over defensive signings and a lack of Premiership strikers during the close season by DM and RM who appear to be the main players on this football board.

[quote user="Vanwink"]His role is an example of where we have been very conservative, promoted internally, that''s the sort of thing that leads to stagnation in any organisation.[/quote]
Or continuity.
Which, if you step back and look at our recent PL/Championship balance, is a good thing compared against the last 20 years.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]The overriding view i am getting from a lot of posters on this thread is that David McNally has a God like status, walks on water and can do no wrong. He is a hard nosed businessman who is not out to gain friends but is financially driven and for that i have no problem.Those that know me will also know that my posts on this thread are not driven by dislike of the man but of a genuine concern over where we are heading. Believe it or not relegation does not mean automatic promotion next year as some on here seem to think. Relegation would be awful for our club and 26,000 clubs in the Championship would mean didderley squat.Look at the big picture of what is going on behind the scenes at Colney which has been a revolving door for several seasons now  of coaching staff and chief scouts,head of player recruitment or whatever you want to call them.Two stints for Ewan Chester,Barry Symonds who came from Fulham which just happens to be where David McNally came from so please don''t tell me had had no influence over that appointment. Joe Royle and Mike Phelan the only two in my book with a proven pedigree came and went.Gary Robson was not here five minutes before he was off. The upshot is there has been no consistency or long term plan.Everybody wants to hang Paul Lambert out to dry over the way he left.It was only explained with a few cutting remarks delivered by Alan Bowkett which has left nothing but a bad taste in the mouth. Talking of Mr. Bowkett whatever went on there ? Just one common factor in all this and relegation will mean someone has two of those on his CV in three seasons including the one where '' relegation will be worse than death ''.If the debt free mantra gets wheeled out by those with yellow and green tinted glasses do you honestly think we will not be back in the poo poo next season if we are in the Championship ?I am not interested in the demise of Leeds,Villa or whoever but i tell you what i would rather have the recent appointments made to the board at Villa i.e.Bernstein,Bevington and Sir Mervyn King than i would Ed Balls and Young Tom.It is like comparing chalk and cheese as far as football and financial nous is concerned.Nothing is certain in football and i have seen virtually the full spectrum here at Norwich City over 50 odd years of supporting and i would rather have 12.45pm KO''s and the odd 5.30pm playing the big boys than regular 3pm KOs at the likes of Burton and Barnsley. This is not the time for romance and ticking off new grounds where 20 is plenty and safe standing has won the day.[/quote]I agree with a lot of this, particularly the revolving door of Colney and the lack of substance in the football board.I don''t know what the exact problems are, but I suspect that the club has an issue with personel management given the number of staff coming and going at Colney. We need to fix this if we''re going to go anywhere, get some kind of stability back to the coaching and scouting teams.The football board now seems to be a virtual entity, but was a good idea that was poorly implemented. It would perhaps work better if it had more members and met with or reported to the main board, instead of having McNally sat on it acting as a bridge between the two. Under Adams, McNally was reported to be in constant contact, so perhaps he''s a bit too ''hands on'' when it comes to the footballing setup?Post-Lambert we tried to buy ready-made experienced players instead of improving younger reserves, lower league and unheralded players. Now we''re finding that we have to compromise on quality in our buys, as our budget has a lower component of transfer profit (the reverse side of the coin being a higher component of losses).Trying to buy success is doomed to fail at PL level for a club of our size, as we don''t have a competitive advantage (ie a big budget). It says a lot that we''ve not often made of a profit on player sales, despite an unprecedented rise in fees during the last few years. We''d do far better if we polished rough diamonds, and shifted the buy-sell cycle back in terms of age in order to get more income from sales.I think we''d be able to become a regular top-flight club, but the board needs to rethink its strategy and move beyond the idea of good financial management being sufficient to compete. Good financial management is necessary, but needs to be complemented with more footballing input in the boardroom.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]I will take up the '' or not done '' bit if you like by saying you would have thought with all this wealth of experience, knowledge and expertise our young manager could have been better advised over defensive signings and a lack of Premiership strikers during the close season by DM and RM who appear to be the main players on this football board.[/quote]Do you actually know this for a fact? The exact inner workings of the boardroom?