Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

The referee issue

Firstly, I honestly believe that our success as a football team is in our own hands. If we had put the performances in in both boxes, we wouldn''t need to worry about refereeing decisions.

The problem is that most referees seem to give the 50/50s against us most weeks. If there''s a 50/50, or a debateable pen decision against us it seems it is always given. The amount of times we''re clearing the ball or advancing up the pitch, the whistle goes, it''s a penalty and we''re all looking at each other saying what was that for? They never happen in our favour. Its the lack of consistency from the officials that is frustrating, but we wouldn''t be needing to moan about them if we put in the level required every week.

Every football fan thinks this!

Unless it''s a blatant error you don''t tend to notice / remember the decisions that go in your favour whereas every iffy decision against feels like a crime!

The ref could / should have blown up for handball before Olsson slammed home against Newcastle the other week ... but no one remembers that.

Refs give what they see. There is no conscious bias or agenda.

[quote user="AmericanNorwichFan"]Although I am pretty sure we have only been awarded 1 penalty in the entire season. Which is the lowest. The next lowest has 4 i believe.[/quote]
Should have had a pen yesterday when Mbokani was hauled over, IMO.

Off the top of my head we should have had penalties in the Chelsea home match on Brady the palace match on Jarvis and out of all the appeals yesterday 2 on Mbokani and I''m sure there will be a lot more. Jeromes goal against palace. The decisions have clearly been against us all season

We don''t get many penalties because we don''t get into the box as much as most other teams.

Why would refs have an evil conspiracy to deny us pens?

Do they all get together and agree to do it ... for some bizarre / random reason? Do they pick a team out of a hat to persecute in the summer?

Refs make human errors ... get over it.

Which time? I saw him hauled over twice, clearly and one time that was 50-50 but probably would have been given against us. How come so many people have forgotten about Jarvis'' claim before theirs? That looked the clearest all game to me, he took all of Jarvis and nothing of the ball.

My dad is a gooner, like the rest of them he can''t stop moaning about his team and decisions against him. I took him to the palace beamback and we watched yesterdays game together, he couldn''t believe what he was seeing on both occasions. The second time Mbokani was clearly dragged down he just burst out laughing and looked at me. after watching us for two games even he''s convinced there''s something fishy going on.

I just can''t trust a long running, old boys network like the FA and the influential tv companies when there''s just so much money involved in the game. I''d be absolutely shocked if it wasn''t rotten to the core. There is no other way to explain the way we''ve been officiated this year except that there is an agenda to damage us.

We have the smallest budget in the league so we were always going to be scrapping near the bottom and looking a naff team at times, it''s just our lot at the moment. but so many close games this year against opposition that haven''t done much to win either like yesterday have gone against us because of the officials.

I wouldn''t be surprised to see us get a token fair ref in two weeks time, well actually I''m expecting it now, given how predictable this all is. don''t think we''ll get any key desicions but I''ve got a feeling the balance of the game might lean to us a bit more, we''ll get the 50-50''s and soft fouls...If not we need to put the guy under constant pressure.

Take a step back and ask yourself if we''d have been awarded that Sunderland penalty, away from home, at 0-0 in a huge game. If you''re honest answer is yes then please explain why we have been awarded no penalties whatsoever away from home in the PL since 1994.

I can''t believe any fan other than those with agendas could dis agree about the standard of refereeing decisions against us this season. They say these things even themselves out but if that''s the case then were safe, as we will surely see decisions go our way in every match left now.

The ''94 argument tends to forget that for many of those years ... we weren''t even in Premier League!

Again, we don''t get many pens because we don''t get in the box as often as other sides. This may not be as thrilling as to claim that there is a random refereeing conspiracy but it''s the truth!

I haven''t seen anyone saying there is a conspiracy. But even when we do get in the box clear penalties are not given. Which ever way you wish to dress it up the key decisions have gone against us all season

[quote user="JF"]I haven''t seen anyone saying there is a conspiracy. But even when we do get in the box clear penalties are not given. Which ever way you wish to dress it up the key decisions have gone against us all season[/quote]I agree, key decisions have gone against us. The penalty yesterday was clearly that, a penalty. I wonder though if it would have been given had it been at the other end?I feel as well that referees are quite happy to avoid giving Norwich decisions because there is no fall out from it. Neil has often said in his press conferences after games that he will not criticise a referee. Well may be he should have a go at the ref when they get a decision wrong, at half time, full time and in public. Try intimidating them a little so that they are afraid to get decisions wrong. It worked well for Alex Ferguson for many years.And if these actions end up with a trip to the FA, he could then tell the people who run the Premier League that if they had managed to provide competent and/or unbiased officials then they wouldn''t be having this discussion in the first place.

The most notable disparity in refereeing came in the treatment of the strikers. The two Sunderland centre backs got away with everything on Mbokani yesterday (and he gave as good as he got at times) yet the second Defoe got touched it was a freekick.

I don''t think I tended to forget anything Canti. Would you like to say how many seasons/games that amounts to?

The reason for posting was that I don''t believe we''d have been awarded that penalty away from home at 0-0 in a huge game. Do you?

I think my point was that we don''t get 50/50s go for us very often. When was the last time we were given a soft penalty? Lots of penalties given against us are soft. I guess I''m just fed up of hearing "One week they''re given, another week they''re not" when every week they''re not given to us!

The penalty that Leicester were given today was far less obvious than the challenge on Jarvis against palace, yet the ref today couldn''t wait to award it. We are not and haven''t all season been getting these decisions

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]The ''94 argument tends to forget that for many of those years ... we weren''t even in Premier League!

Again, we don''t get many pens because we don''t get in the box as often as other sides. This may not be as thrilling as to claim that there is a random refereeing conspiracy but it''s the truth![/quote]

Forget about yesterday, or indeed specifically Norwich but are you actually suggesting that professional football is clean?

Because that''s a pretty big claim in the face of an awful lot of evidence to the contrary.

To think there is some sort of conspiracy among all the referees against Norwich is frankly laughable. The root of our failure can be traced much directly to the Summer transfer window.

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 17/04/2016 7:05 PM:

To think there is some sort of conspiracy among all the referees against Norwich is frankly laughable. The root of our failure can be traced much directly to the Summer transfer window.

Agreed Highland, we didn''t sign enough refs.😄

Funny how we have so much talk about refs all of a sudden ... there was not such talk - on this scale- whilst we were doing well (ManC-Newc). Especially after the ref ignored our handball prior to Olsson''s winner.

Look, my last word on this thread is simply thus ... there is no convincing reason why refs would have it in for us. You EITHER believe that they are professionals that give what they see from their angle OR that they deliberately try to hurt/favour certain teams. I believe in the former ... for my own sanity.

Every club''s fans, in the bottom quarter of the league especially, wail about refereeing decisions EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

Refs are humans.

Refs make errors.

When you''re winning you ignore them.

When you''re losing you are hurt by them.

Fair enough ... but there''s no need to get the violins out and develop a persecution complex.

There are more important factors to consider behind our struggles.

That''s a lot of last words Canti, I''m beat...

However I''m 100% with creative midfielder. The amount of money going through the game coupled with some dodgy people and human nature suggests to me the last word is yet to come...

Favoring one side exclusively is not down to human error. The Howson handball was debatable from different angles anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLh0-8l7Y8

Defoe''s hand ball as he was running behind our defence was missed as well, he didn''t score but that one was evend up pretty quickly even if we weren''t punished.

I find it far easier to believe that they have it in for us as opposed to being on the wrong end of decisions every single game. What are the chances ref''s have legitimately seen all these incidents against us? I find it unlikely as hell. I watch a lot of football and I''m capable of seeing every decision on it''s own merit, nobody else get''s the same treatment we do.

We were always going to struggle anyway with a small budget and most of our squad being left over from the one that wasn''t good enough before. If we hadn''t been so badly shafted this year we could be in a much healthier position.

Do you really think with the long running old boys mob and superpower companies like SKY having such a huge stake in the game that football is clean? Not a chance, where there is money there is corruption.

Newcastle fan Oliver not giving that pen last week has done his team an absolutely huge favor! They looked dead and buried before. Wonder why we didn''t get that clear foul....hmmm

For the second time this season I found myself sitting up in the chair and shouting, in futility, at the television screen. It was not with regard to the penalty decision ( it was clearly a penalty and the referee was correct to call it ) but, rather, I was shouting at the Norwich defenders just prior to the penalty. Quite frankly, it was schoolboy defending. It had to be clear to everyone watching how Borino positioned himself at the back and called for the cross. All the Norwich defenders moved towards the ball in ball watching mode. At that point, neither Wisdom or Bennett turned their heads to see what was going on behind them. He was Wisdom''s man to mark and he not only didn''t do that....he didn''t even look. Once a poacher like Borini gets a sniff of the goal when given that kind of space he''s likely to cause us a problem. That''s precisely what happened. We can discuss all we want about whether or not calls are going against us but as long as we defend in that manner we increase the probability of the need to have these debates in the first place.

I don''t buy any conspiracy theory, I can accept that refs know that decisions made against us are likely to get far less media scrutiny than for other teams and subconsciously that may mean they are more likely to go against us, but I don''t accept there is any deliberate action involved.

I have always accepted refs make mistakes and often the smaller club suffers. When we are the big club in the Championship I reckon we get treated ok.

This week changed it for me though when the FA made a huge rod for themselves. They removed Kevin Friend from a Spurs game as he supported Leicester to protect him in case a bad decision was made. At the time I thought yep fair enough I can see that. However if you look at this as being a sound decision on the basis of Friend could cheat ! why were we given Oliver a Newcastle supporter who failed to give a blatant penalty and then Marriner a Villa supporter who when it came to decisions in our favour was simply appalling.

Now I am not accusing these 2 refs of cheating however is the decision with Friend not now suggesting this as a possibility ?

Looking back if Rooney had scored the Jerome goal against Palace for Man U it would have been played every week, the Vardy dive would have resulted in a yellow card as today instead of a penalty and the ghost of one of our previous players had not appeared to play the Chelsea player onside we would now be safe.

Yankee is right about Wisdom. He was poor all game and some one commented to me that he was as "blowing" quite early on.

However the penalty was one that would be given maybe 1/4? And even less often at 0-0. Nobody seems to want to answer my question asking if we''d get that a 0-0 in a big game away from home. History suggests not.