Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

McNally's Seven Year Plan & Scores on the Doors

Norwich City chief executive David McNally has laid out his vision of how the club can be playing top flight football within seven years.

The details coincide with the release of City''s end-of-year accounts.

"We are one year into the plan, the plan includes three years in the Championship, first year to settle down," McNally told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"We would then be promoted to the Premier League, allowing for immediate relegation and an immediate return."

He added: "From that point on we would continue to play our football in the Premier League.

"We might be fortunate enough to beat that plan."

2010-11 - Championship

2011-12 - Premier League

2012-13 - Premier League

2013-14 - Premier League

2014-15 - Championship

2015-16 - Premier League

2016-17 - TBC

Perhaps we are going to play all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order?Nonetheless, against the seven year plan as outlined above, surely nobody can deny the club has over-achieved?

Perhaps this is why he earns his bonus?

How many are left from when that plan was hatched? McNally, the owners and the man from Mulbarton? Failure of the highest order!!! 

Looks like we''ve had a good run for our money[:D]If you want stagnation ask 1p5wich.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]If we get relegated you could argue that McNally has failed against the 7 year plan as he outlined it as it has us as an established Premiership side side with no relegations, rather than a perennial yo yo club.......[/quote]Agree with that FJSPSOB but of course saying something different will be viewed as having a foot stomping hissy fit.

Are we actually any further forward? Sure the debt has gone, but has the quality on the pitch improved? Last time we were relegated it was a meek season where we offered little goal threat and were poor at the back....exactly what''s changed this season?

The plan has been a success in financial terms but if we go down will have failed as far as football is concerned.

You could argue that our previous relegation caused the plan to fail but this one, if it happens, certainly will.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]If we get relegated you could argue that McNally has failed against the 7 year plan as he outlined it as it has us as an established Premiership side side with no relegations, rather than a perennial yo yo club.......[/quote]Agree with that FJSPSOB but of course saying something different will be viewed as having a foot stomping hissy fit.[/quote]
One relegation and one promotion in the last five seasons is hardly the stuff of a "perennial yo-yo club".
Perhaps given our financial constraints and club size, we are punching above our weight to be a bottom 6 Prem/top 6 Championship club?
I suppose it comes down to expectations and what people consider to be reasonable achievement.

I suppose it comes down to expectations and what people consider to be reasonable achievement.The thing is Katherine that as we have the best owners of any club in the land, the best CEO in the business, the greatest fans and above all no debt i don''t expect to be playing clubs next season described on here as car crashes like Leeds, Scum and Villa.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]
I suppose it comes down to expectations and what people consider to be reasonable achievement.The thing is Katherine that as we have the best owners of any club in the land, the best CEO in the business, the greatest fans and above all no debt i don''t expect to be playing clubs next season described on here as car crashes like Leeds, Scum and Villa.
[/quote]
Yes Jonathan, but we can have all those things and still not have sufficient financial clout to compete with other clubs because of our size, income and wage structure which prevents us from attracting the assets (players) who can deliver the on-pitch success required.
The question comes down to how high a club like Norwich City wants to set its risk appetite financially.
Realistically because of our size and location, we are never going to be a consistent top 6 Premier League side, perhaps not even top 10, until the game is restructured and based on something bigger than the size of the bankroll behind each club.
Therefore we have to determine how far to push our finances with an eye on the long term financial viability of the club.
Long story short, if we are in the Championship then we are a well run Championship club with a plan, not driftwood like the Scum, or a basket case like Villa, or a travelling circus like Leeds.
I am fine with that.  I would rather we didn''t go down but if we do then I trust there is a plan to get us back up again.
Your argument seems to be emotional rather than rational.

NCFC''s owners are solid & true yellow Canary supporters

The owners do not have the wealth needed to put ''random'' multi tens of £ millions into the Club to make a Prem place 100% secure

I would rather have NCFC as it is with Delia in change within the Championship - than some unknown Russian multi Billionaire in the Prem

Long term Club security first for me

Question is, do we consider McNally part of the Problem or part of the solution ? he has transformed our fortunes financially massively by being in total control of the margins, where would we be without him ? in truth it appears that all the everyday decisions come through him, and he runs the club with an iron fist. Brilliant, was badly needed at one point as were in a bad place..

On the other hand, is his rigid approach to negotiating transfer, setting pay deals starting to work against us? i fear that we are seeing this being the case.

Maybe just maybe he has expired his "best by" date, and the owners who are the figurehead of the club should start looking for the CEO ? otherwise like in any business we could slip backwards and backwards..............

"On the other hand, is his rigid approach to negotiating transfer, setting pay deals starting to work against us? i fear that we are seeing this being the case."
How do you see this being the case?
"Because we didn''t sign XYZ player" isn''t really an answer.
How do you know we are missing out on transfer targets because of McNally''s approach to signing players and not because of club location, profile, the odds that we will be in a PL relegation battle, interest from other clubs, etc etc.
In any case, the Board will surely hold the CEO to account for business performance and would need to sign off any financial planning work.  I would have thought the fresh appointment of Ed Balls would mean McNally is under constant scrutiny from someone who understands macro and micro-economics, regardless of how well or poorly you feel he performed in Government.  I doubt there are many football boards with Senior Fellows of Harvard''s Economics school on their books.
As far as I can see, McNally is still overachieving on his seven year plan and certainly not underachieving to the point where moving him on would be a sensible option.

Bor wrote;

"Because we didn''t sign XYZ player" isn''t really an answer

That wasn''t quite my point Bor, we have struggled to sign players, the manager has said that publicly, i am merely asking the question, for the purpose of debate, is that the reason they won''t sign, the CEO ?my understanding is the board (as in majority shareholders) take their steer from DM, they have put their trust in him, which is no bad thing, i expect Mr Balls to follow a similar suit.

And i don''t think the board will "move him on", not their style, more chance of him reaching a stage where he decides its time for him to move on, so could be same recipe for a years to come, IMO.

I very much doubt that''s the case.  When McNally fails, what happens?  He gets a bonus!What proportion of what McNally is credited with by some, can be attributed to what Lambert achieved here?  I am certainly not implying that McNally has been useless, but I do think that we have been riding a crest of a wave from the Lambert era, but unfortunately that is now petering out and I fear that we may revert to the NCFC of years of mid-table Championship football. [:(]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I very much doubt that''s the case.  When McNally fails, what happens?  He gets a bonus!What proportion of what McNally is credited with by some, can be attributed to what Lambert achieved here?  I am certainly not implying that McNally has been useless, but I do think that we have been riding a crest of a wave from the Lambert era, but unfortunately that is now petering out and I fear that we may revert to the NCFC of years of mid-table Championship football. [:(][/quote]
But since Lambert left our club has been 
Premier League
Premier League
Championship
Premier League
Next season still TBC
I would suggest a pessimist might see this post-Lambert record as indicative of future mid-table Championship football, but I''m a miserable old sod and I remain more positive than that.

Spending cash and attracting big name players does not 100% guarantee premiership football, just look at Sunderland & Newcastle both have big name managers and have had for years Newcastle have spent mega money and at least one of them(although I still beleive both of them) will be playing Championship football next season. I would much rather take the Conservative approach and guarantee the survival of Norwich City Football Club. As for our Chairman macro or micro managing our CEO I beg to differ Ed Balls is in it for what he can get out of it, as any other politician would be. He screwed the country i just hope he doesnt screw our club.

For me the Lambert ERA finished when he went to Villa, the club took its decisions (for the right reasons) Lamberts legacy is in his achievements while with us.

Our success / failures are of our own making in 6 or so years since, as will the next few years be a result of the actions put in place.

Katie B,

I refer you to my ''musings'' from another post partially repeated here - "It may be that whilst we were once a club held in the highest regard by our peers and others, such as players and agents, we may no longer fall into that category and in fact may even be disliked by many."

Now as these are only musings, the only way to really know whether we are missing out on transfer targets because of McNally''s approach would be to have feedback from other club''s hierarchy, agents, players, etc. wouldn''t it?

So, I guess my musings stay as musings and I cannot answer your question as to whether we are missing out on transfers because of any specific reason - can I.

hes failed imobeing a yoyo club isnt an achievement and its something that will be even harder to achieve as time goes on, going to be some big clubs in the championship next season all competing for a handful of talent, newcastle and villa (and the larger teams that dont come up this season) are much more attractive propositions than norwich for most potential signings, would be even harder for us to get out of than recent seasons

In footballing terms the plan has failed.

Having said that with the current set up I can''t see it being any other way.

Sadly I''m fairly content with where we are, even if we go down, and can maintain the yo yo status. I thoroughly enjoyed last season.

The big risk that we run however is that we won''t come back up. Many seem to see yo yo as an achievable long term place for us but just because we have done it once, or twice depending on your timescales there no guarantee that we will do it again.

The lower you set your sights then the further down the basement becomes.

So when that 7 year plan was released, look at the posts from that time.
"We''ll never achieve that, that''s insane".
"Premier League? We don''t have the money"
"We''ll never be good enough".
We''ve basically exceeded a plan which people thought was too good to be true and near impossible to achieve, and now people are complaining that it''s not good enough.
Strange old world.

We''ve only had 2 seasons in the Championship. The rest have been in the Premiership. The plan was allowing for 3 just to get promoted.

Depends how you measure things!

If we''re relegated we''ll be back to square 1, a team who aren''t quiet good enough for the premiership, some promising youngsters, a manager of some potential but is still in his learning curve, a board without resource to put any additional finances into the club, debt free (nearly as I believe we have some debt now).

Have we moved on in the 20 years under our current board or have we actually held station given some big clubs demise and other smaller clubs upturn?

So point by point assuming we go down.

4 promotions

4 relegation (should we go down)

Finances, more or less debt free considering we were 6.5 million in debt when our current owners took control you could say a definite improvement.

The ground has been updated, although some areas are now getting a little tired and some seating is pretty poor looking now.

Colney is in need of a big update, not the best training facility, not the worst but deffinately not improved in the last few years.

Academy status deffinately improved even if we haven''t seen any products of this break into our club recently.

Status of the club in our region has definitely gone up, nationally and internationally we have no real improvement, we are still looked upon as a small club by pundits and agents.

MacNally has been influential in our rise in the last 7 seasons, everyone has to consider 4 years up here without the same level of investment compared to the likes of Watford, Leicester, Southampton and some others as major success for our club.

We have failed to push on in terms of investment, squad updating the ground, updating Colney, so financially and in terms of squad we have just held station.

Whatever you think or what you want is your own opinions, some of us would be happy with a change in ownership give a chance for more cash and push on in the premiership, others would like to hold on the the current set up with Delia & Co, doesn''t make either side right or wrong and to say we would end up like Bolton or the binners or a success like West Ham or Southampton, is just supposition as we don''t know how it work out until it happened.

I believe given where we were to where we are MacNally is a big improvement on what we had and has my backing. The 7 year plan should be fluid, but now we as a club need to push on and take more risk, improving Colney and investing in the squad which ever division we are in.

[quote user="Indy"] So point by point assuming we go down.

4 promotions

4 relegation (should we go down) [/quote] 
Hardly.  This plan was unveiled in December 2010.
2010-11: Promotion
2011-12: PL
2012-13: PL
2013-14: PL, Relegation
2014-15, Championship, Promotion
2015-16: ?
So if we are relegated, still an "if", that''s 2 promotions and 2 relegations and not 4.
[quote user="Indy"] The ground has been updated, although some areas are now getting a little tired and some seating is pretty poor looking now.

Colney is in need of a big update, not the best training facility, not the worst but deffinately not improved in the last few years.[/quote] 
We know Colney is being fixed up, and I''m sure you can imagine the reaction on here if we spent loads of money on doing up Carrow Road when it could have gone on players signings/wages.

Bor you know I said the 20 years a of the board! That''s 4 and potentially 4, as for spending on players and wages, that''s true, but have we really moved our squad on in that time? We. Still have a squad full of aging championship quality players with a few decent players and the odd youngster with potential.

But heck find fault in my opinions all you like.